FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Hello from Dorset

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
123mccombie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 123mccombie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hello from Dorset
    Posted: 11 May 2021 at 4:23pm
Hi there

I have joined the forum because I am looking try out a different phono stage in my system and was hoping some of you could give me some advice.

My system set up consists of
The turntable:
 a Project X2 with a Ortofon 2m Silver MM - soon to be given a 2M Blue stylus

then into an Edwards Audio Apprentice Phono Stage

My amp is a Cyrus 3 with the PSX-R Power supply

The speakers are Opera Callas Gold

I know very little about acoustic science but I do enjoy music, especially jazz, soul and a lot of music from Brazil. Also Beatles and Dylan and more! I have quite a lot of mono records too.

I think the weakest part of my system is the phono stage and then the cartridge.

So I want to ask what you consider the phono stage that may best suit this system. I have been in touch with John regarding the UK loaner program and I'm trying to work out which phono stage to try. 

Should I just go straight to the top with the Accession? Or is that beyond the rest of my system? 
Would either the Era Gold V or Reflex M suit it better?

Please let me know your thoughts

Thanks

Jamie

Edited by 123mccombie - 11 May 2021 at 4:24pm
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 7:47pm
Hello from Dorset too.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 8:38pm
I went for the top of the range, at the time the Reflex M, because I knew I would always wonder what more I could have had. I tried it, I loved it, I bought it. Since then I’ve got an Accession and given the Reflex M to my son. Why not try two of then?
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 9:21pm
Welcome to the community Jamie. Borrowing two units at the same time as Ifor suggests is quick and saves on postage.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
123mccombie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote 123mccombie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2021 at 11:21pm
Thanks for the advice. I have asked Jon if I can be loaned both the reflex and accession.

I will post my impressions coming from the basic Edwards Audio apprentice.

Cheers
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 7:37am
Welcome Jamie. I look forward to hearing your impressions.

Happy Listening

Ian
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2021 at 7:39am
don’t try quick swaps between stages. I would do some extended listening with the Accession first and then swap back to the Edwards. Then do the same with the Reflex and switch back to the Accession. Finally back to the Accession for an extended period before switching to the Reflex.  Enjoy!
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic