FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Headphones to go with new voyager amp

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
hyg71886 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hyg71886 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Headphones to go with new voyager amp
    Posted: 14 Oct 2009 at 8:59pm
Hi I'm new to the forums. I am currently trying to upgrade my home/portable kit because my neighbors don't enjoy high volumes as much as me. I read this is the best amp on the market for the price (244.00 us). However, I have AKG K181DJ headphones and was looking to get some better cans to really enjoy the amp when connected to my zune and my pioneer elite sc-07 reciever. I listen to alot of hip-hop, jazz, rock, and r&b. What headphones would you recommend? Currently I am looking at the following

Audio-Technica ATH-M50S

BEYER DYNAMIC DT880-Pro/770/990

Right now I am stuck between those. I have read the M50's are reeeaaally good for hip-hop. I am also open to suggestions.

Zune 120gb GOD2 LE
AKG K181DJ
Fiio E5 amp
mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2009 at 11:31pm
What part of the US are you in? I ask because there are headphone meets comming up. You could go to one and try out several headphones and find one to your liking.
Miguel
hyg71886 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hyg71886 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Oct 2009 at 12:07am
Pennsylvania, I actually ordered the M50's but am not sure on which amp to order the voyager or the headphonia arrow
Zune 120gb GOD2 LE
AKG K181DJ
Fiio E5 amp
pjmartel View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pjmartel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2009 at 12:48pm
I use the Sennheiser HD595 with the Voyager and the combination works very well, with plenty of headroom.
Shure SE530,Etymotic ER6i, Sennheiser HD595, Graham Slee Voyager, Trekstor Vibez, iPod Classic,...
Chameleon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chameleon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Dec 2009 at 5:00pm
Sorry to raise this thread from the dead but I'm looking at new headphones and would be interested to know how higher impedance (300 ohms) phones would work with the Voyager using a strong line-out signal (DacMagic). I realise you'd get sounds out of them but is the Voyager powerful enough to lift the muddiness of the HD600 that I understand can result from improper amplification? I appreciate a Solo would be a better option but that will have to wait for another... er.. year! Big%20smile

Edited by Chameleon - 27 Dec 2009 at 2:56pm
Chameleon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chameleon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2010 at 7:21am
I try not to make a habit of answering my own questions but I just got some HD600s and am using them my Voyager. All I can say is WOW!!!!!!!! This amp is amazing with them, not just in terms of volume but also the SQ - it's detailed, punchy and capable of producing a satisfying bass. No sign of any muddiness either.

Nest stop, the SRG-II... when my wallet's recovered!
bombpop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bombpop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2010 at 3:40pm
I use ultrasone Pro 900's with both my solo and voyager and could not be much happier! and being closed cans they definitely classify as portable! ;)
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic