FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

HD800S & SOLO ULDE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
D3savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D3savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 1:17pm
Hi what sort of difference does the removal of the covers make? - does it improve clarity???
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 1:24pm
Yes, a subtle improvement in clarity - not night & day but the sound opens up a tad.
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
D3savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D3savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 8:20am
Have now reached the 140 hr burn in period .......... and wow! even more improvements very open sounding now with real mid clarity. Seriously, I cannot fault anything - the presentation is very dynamic, clear ...etc, I am lost for words. I started with a quick test session last night and then ended up listening to track after track ... awesome. Graham if you are reading this - you have developed one seriously good amp. I can't think how you could improve on this .......... I have read that this amp is warm and tube like .... on my system it isn't ..... with the NDS/552 and HD800S it seems to be very neutral - punchy and dynamic, open with sparkle and real finesse when called for. This has got to be one of the best purchases I have made, thanks Graham .... and thank you John for making up a dedicated quality Naim interconnect
Big smile Clap
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 11:36am
Nice comments.
I had a long listening session last night with the ULDE/HD800S & agree.
It isn't really a 'warm' sound you're right - but warm sounding hifi can be a little dull & uninteresting.
It doesn't seem to have much character of its own - just plays the music as it is but with no
holding back on punch & dynamics when called for.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
D3savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D3savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 12:03pm
It is interesting that this little amp really seems to be able to drive the HD800S so well. I have tried my headphones on the Naim 272 headphone section and they sounded lifeless, Lehmann BCL ok but not very open, Samsung Phone sounded lifeless, ASUS Hi Res audiocard on pc again lifeless. They sat on my desk for 8 months never felt the urge to use them. I am still staggered at the difference - the headphones have just suddenly sprung to life.Smile
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jan 2018 at 6:47pm
You've hit the nail on the head there Richard, the music comes to life with a very good headpnone amp like the Solo ULDE. It's a great pairing, I use a pair of old Sennheiser HD250/II's with my PC. It plays the music but sounds a bit flat, luckily we know the solution for enjoying our music! It is more marked with some of my other headphones.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
D3savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D3savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2018 at 3:19pm
I had another session last night - and things have subtlety changed again ..... now the mid-range seems fuller .... bass is still there but not quite as prominent ...high frequencies shimmer with detail.... the overall effect is very impressive. I listened to Rebecca Pigeon 192 ...... flac it was incredible - the extra sense of acoustic mixing with that pure voice was sensational.    
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic