FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

HD800S & SOLO ULDE

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
D3savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D3savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: HD800S & SOLO ULDE
    Posted: 11 Jan 2018 at 4:19pm
High all, does anybody here use this combination .........  I have these phones ........ and I am considering a purchase..........of the Solo ULDE and I'm wondering if this combo is considered to be good. I use a Naim front end and preamp which is quite upfront.........
D3savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D3savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 7:15am
Hi just received the Solo ULDE with cables....my first impressions from cold are excellent ... great bass response really engaging full mid and extended hi's. My only observation was it sounded closed in.....i think this should dramatically improve with burn in. Anyway even as it stands it is far superior to the Naim headphone output on a Nac 272. I am really impressed with Grahams work .... I will feed back in days to come.The HD800S and the Solo ULDE seems to be a great partnership.
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 8:03am
Hi, just noticed your post. I run the black HD800S with a Solo ULDE.
They are a very good partnership with exceptional levels of detail - things that go unnoticed
over speakers. 
The bass is clear with none of the bloat of other designs.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 8:04am
Hi Richard, WRT "closed in" this may be due to what you heard previously being "upfront" and in comparison it sounds closed in. I remember hearing things on speaker systems which sounded like they came from outside in the street, but that sort of thing suggests circuit instability, which it often is. As most high end circuitry seems to be designed to operatate on the edge these days, to impress, then a circuit designed to be absolutely stable might not impress immediately from a spatial point of view, but will be more accurate/honest.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
D3savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D3savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2018 at 8:46am
Hi regarding closed in ........ your amp was literally out of the box plugged in and used straight away ... even so the sound is fabulous.... I have not used one of your amps before ....  my previous experience with Naim - is that they require some time to bed in. I have left my system on with headphones playing 24/7 ..... I suspect there will be significant improvement over the next 72 hours. I notice on your forums some are saying they see improvements even up to 500hrs! Note my comments - must be put in relation to the system I use - Naim NDS/552dr  preamp/NAP500dr so from stone cold I found that your gem of an amp compared very well - I am quiet excited about the improvements to come.....thanks Graham I am blown away .... and will keep you posted.Thumbs Up
D3savage View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote D3savage Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 5:35am
Hi just thought I would report in ..... re burn in and closed in....things have been really Interesting.... headphones left running at low volume all the time and I tested again Saturday morning...it still did not quite sound right...so I turned up the volume to normal listening levels and let it bake. On Sunday evening tested again on the same tracks and bingo far far superior the imaging and stereo is really very good... I am delighted. I am still letting it bake and will report back next week.   
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jan 2018 at 1:01pm
If you haven't done it already Richard, something to try is removing the fabric dust covers from 
over the drivers - they're easy to take out & put back. The effect is quite subtle but worth a go.

I've been mainly listening via speakers recently but prompted by this thread it's time the
headphones got more use.Smile
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic