FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

HD greedsters - it ain't rock'n'roll old chum

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2012 at 8:37pm
As David Price reported this month: "Paradoxically, many of us concluded that the only accessible hi-res music source around right now is vinyl...."

But vinyl only has a dynamic range of 12 bits!

However, it does have a sampling rate of infinityHz.

And it's funny how I just want to add some compression to these 24 bit downloads... I can't hear the really quiet parts for room noises, and the loudest parts can be heard across town!

Perhaps 12 bits is all we really need.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2012 at 8:48pm
Agreed. Whilst I hate clipping and brickwall limiting, it sounds loud and suits some music. Despite the limited dynamic range I think you can turn a vinyl record up without it becoming unpleasant or too loud.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 May 2012 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Originally posted by ServerBaboon ServerBaboon wrote:

...have you tried Linn and Naim?

Not my "cup of tea".

I think I need assistance with the DVD. What do I open it with?

Yes, the HD choices lean towards classical.

What does the DVD have written on it please? It may be DVD-Audio or Dolby Digital or DTS, those will need a DVD player with the decoders built in. Sorry if I have misunderstood or just stated the obvious to you!

Jon
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 9:14am
Although a question for ServerBaboon (who sent me a disc containing samples) I think you're right and I'll have to shove it through the DVD player which has S/PDIF out.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 10:20am
There's a nifty little program called DVD audio extractor which does what it says on the tin . . Wink

I've used to get PCM tracks off DVD-Audio discs as well as DVD video.

Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
ServerBaboon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ServerBaboon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Originally posted by ServerBaboon ServerBaboon wrote:

...have you tried Linn and Naim?

I think I need assistance with the DVD. What do I open it with?

Should be just able to browse it, copy the files one folder is flac, one folder is wav.

Sorry I should have said these are just some files to play on a computer.

Edited by ServerBaboon - 22 May 2012 at 12:17pm
Steve

-------------

Various bits of GSP Kit ..well two so far, unless you count the cables that is.
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2012 at 2:58pm
Hi Graham
I've seen a lot of King Crimson DVD audio discs out on ebay. Good prices as well at around £15 each. I don't know if you're into King Crimson but I thought you might be.
I've heard some of these DVD-audio releases and they've sounded great IMO.

Best wishes
Johan
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
  Share Topic