FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Groove Runner Turntable Speed Control

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 4:29pm
very neat and well presented.  If anything like my Power supply upgrade it should make a worthwhile improvement.   What mains connection does it have -difficult to see from the picture?
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 4:29pm
Simply beautiful!
Beautifully simple!
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 8:11pm
I enjoyed following this subject, but am sure that I don’t understand it all.  Maybe l’m a bit twp (it’s Welsh).  I have a Manticore Mantra from the late ‘80s or early ‘90s. How would I use it? Is it just a case of plugging the TT’s power cord into the Groove Runner and the Groove Runner into the mains?

I don’t suppose it is that simple.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by ICL1P ICL1P wrote:

How would I use it? Is it just a case of plugging the TT’s power cord into the Groove Runner and the Groove Runner into the mains?

I don’t suppose it is that simple.

I have mine running my (upside-down) Rega which is currently fitted with standard motor and its  230V pcb.

The 13A plug was changed for the 3-pin "mains" DIN plug which is supplied with the Groove-Runner (it's the type of plug used on a few other turntable controllers and is commonly found on Weller soldering irons). This plugs into the right hand socket and has a locking mechanism. Only the "live and netral" wires are used.

The Groove-Runner is powered from a tiny inline switched-mode 15V DC power supply capable of much more current than the Groove-Runner needs. Its DC plug connects to the left hand socket.

Because the Rega motor uses the 230V board the Groove-Runner output voltage control has to be at maximum, at which it is outputting a measured 113V AC on-load (110V nominal).

The Rega starts up without assistance with the Groove-Runner set to 50Hz and 33.1/3 rpm (surprisingly).

Start it on 45rpm and it tries to run backwards. Not surprising if you understand the 230V Rega board. But a little hand assistance gets it running clockwise OK. Either that or start it on 33.1/3rd and switch it to 45rpm.

If the Manticore Mantra uses the same motor and a similar pcb to the Rega it might run the same without modification. However, a "bag of bits" will accompany the Groove-Runner and instructions will be given as how to modify the sandard Rega motor - and other motors - to run on 110V nominal, and down to the 90V minimum of the output voltage control.

Information will eventually be published here in greater DIY detail.

Edited by Graham Slee - 15 Aug 2018 at 9:06pm
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 9:48pm
I believe the Manticore Mantra uses a “standard AC Premotec motor”. I think this is the same as early LP12s, if not later ones. Please correct me if anyone knows different.
Ifor
=====
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 10:22pm
If you can see the motor it should have one of these part numbers:

9904 111 31813

or

9904 111 31819
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Aug 2018 at 10:37pm
i’ll try to have a look when i’m at home.

Edited by ICL1P - 15 Aug 2018 at 10:38pm
Ifor
=====
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic