FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Greetings from new member

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
65mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greetings from new member
    Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 11:20am
Hi all.

Just thought i should stick my head around the door and introduce myself.Smile

Not wanting to boar you all i have had hifi equipment for over 40 years now and been through quite a lot off stuff brought it then decided to upgrade and ended up selling most off it now.

But have kept some items what i call the good stuff and am happy but looking to upgrade the turntable and the phonobox amp.

Any advise would be welcome.Smile

65mike
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 12:24pm
Welcome aboard Mike. As you probably know all the Graham Slee units can be borrowed to try at home in your system. Please could you tell us a little more about your equipment?
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 2:26pm
Welcome Mike
I 2nd what Jon said. One other thing, what's your budget.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
65mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2022 at 7:26pm
Hi all.Smile
Thanks for the warm welcome.
This could be a long post but here goes.
It started off with a old turntable my dads mate gave me that was 40 odd years ago and after moving up to a ferguson music centre i then brought a Sharp liner tracking music centre this played both sides off the record.
Moving on a bit further i brought a Kenwood hifi system with a cd player and graphic equaliser it was the biss at the time.
Then i had my head turned by the British firm Arcam and brought my first Alpha 7se Amp and CD player and was introduced to Bowers and Wilkins which i have always kept with.
The Alpha gave way to the Diva amp but i then got the idea off to sets one Alpha the other the Diva so having to amps one power amp and 2 cd players in separate rooms one downstairs the other upstairs.
The turntable on both was a basic P******t turntable.
Then i move up to the FM-J set one was the A32 amp the other was the A22 with Dave which is the 5 channel setup.
The CD players which were Alpha and Diva both went then DVD 88 and the DVD 88 plus came and they both went and a DVD89 was brought which i still have today.
The Arcam P7 was brought and the A32 was upgraded to the  7 channel working with the DVD89.
All the Tuners which i had were sold as we were not using them.
The speakers were all Bowers and Wilkins i have had 600,601, 601.5 and the current are the 683 brilliant ones and also had a pair off 805’s with stands and centre one to match plus others i cannot remember.
The Arcam amps were all sold and brought a Denon amp which was useless with my 683’s so a new amp was needed.
I needed something with power so i brought a Rotel pre amp and a power amp with 150 watts per channel ace piece off kit.
I still have the DVD 89 and the Rotel but the P******t turntable went wrong so that was replaced by a Rega RP1 with my upgraded Ortofone vivio Red MC coil absolutely brilliant.
I also have a Rel sub.
I am looking in the future to upgrade the turntable as it is 10 years old now and the phono box.
Budget is not known as yet but under £2000.00
I did say it would be a long post so please forgive me.
65mikeSmile
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 11:13pm
Hi Mike, the Vivio red is a low output MC soI suggest borrowing a Reflex C to compare with your current phono stage. If you were replacing your current Rega turntable there are some really good second hand ones out there. You are happy with yours so I feel silly asking if you  have heard any turntables you enjoyed more?
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
65mike View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 65mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 8:15pm
Hi Jon.
The Rega RP1 was brought to replace the project turntable it should have come with the ortofon om10 but the project already had that so i said no.
I was offered the Vivio Red which was about £150.00 and was told a MC even the cheapest would be better than a MM and it sound superb could tell the difference straight away.
This was 10 years ago i now am looking at a replacement tone arm and cartridge not a turntable as i cannot see one i like or want so am looking into the upgrade route.
Have seen a OriginLive Onyx plus tonearm want another MC cartridge.
Any advise is this tonearm any good.Smile
65mike.

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 8:44pm
Vivio Red seems like a good value MC from what I read Mike. 10 years is a long life for a cartridge so it mya be worth planning for a new one in the next few years.

I have a Origin Live Zephyr (next one up from Onyx back then?) and think it is a really good arm. I had it on my Rega P3-24 and it was a lot better IMO than the RB301 that came on the turntable, more separation between instruments and a dynamic sound. I have used my OL arm with MM and MC cartridges and enjoyed the sound, it was on my SL1210/II then a Michell Gyrodek turntable until I got a second hand SME series IV (cheaper and safer than a sports car!).

The OL Zephyr is back on my SL1210/II and it is an enjoyable listen. I can't promise the Onyx will do the same for you but the Onyx is well reviewed. Doess anyone here may own one?

Jon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic