FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Grado PS1000 - 1 channel dead

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Chivas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chivas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Grado PS1000 - 1 channel dead
    Posted: 04 Aug 2011 at 7:48pm

Hi guys, hope someone can help.

I've lost the one (right) channel on my Grados and I'm 99.9% certain it is a broken solder joint on the driver (why they designed them that the cup can rotate 360 degrees nobody knows - I often find the cable all wound up and knew it would be only a matter of time before the cable works itself loose!!!)

I started taking it apart, took the foam pad off and started wiggling the driver out of the metal case, but it won't go any further than a few mm and am cautios not to break anything-  the wooden driver housing seems particularly brittle! I cannot find any instructions on the Internet to disassemble the driver - has anyone done this?

As a last resort, is there anyone you can recommend who offers a repair/  recabling service in the UK?

PS. Yes, they are out of warranty.

Many thanks Chivas

Edited by Chivas - 04 Aug 2011 at 7:50pm
mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2011 at 1:32am
Chivas taking the unit apart is a difficult proposition which involves the judicious use of a hair dryer to warm/soften the glue used to adhere the wood section to the aluminum housing. Personally I would contact Grado UK to get a return authorization.
Miguel
Chivas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chivas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2011 at 2:17pm
Hi Miguel

thanks for the reply. the UK dealer is Armourhome and they quoted my £100 for the repair - the reason "The PS1000 are as you know very expensive headphones which are very difficult to open and take quite a time to repair and test."

At £100 it better be 5hrs + worth of work or I'm being ripped off!!!! Angry

Perhaps the HD800 is in my future...
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2011 at 4:44pm
Hi Chivas,

To put it into perspective £100 is £83.33 plus VAT. If it took 5 hours for an experienced engineer then the charge out rate of £16.67 per hour would seem OK, but if an employee of the dealer, the dealer would not be making much on it. Even so, I couldn't see it taking 5 hours if they know what they're doing (personally I wouldn't touch such a repair).

There's also the risk involved in breaking the ear cup I suppose so the cost may reflect the dealer's fears and he could have costed in a replacement just in case. Best thing would be to ask him.

I think glue is a bit daft and is what they used on cheap transistor radio's from the far east in the 70's.

I agree about your future Wink
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Aug 2011 at 11:31pm
I love the Grado sound and I have had my RS-1 since 2005. I am very careful to prevent the "wrap around" to avoid the damage that can occur. The Grado sound is not for all and as such I always suggest people listen to a sample before purchasing.

The HD800 is ok but not great IMO. I know we all hear differently and thus why there are so many options available. Good luck on your repair.
Miguel
Chivas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chivas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 10:13am
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Even so, I couldn't see it taking 5 hours if they know what they're doing (personally I wouldn't touch such a repair).

I think glue is a bit daft and is what they used on cheap transistor radio's from the far east in the 70's.

I agree about your future Wink

The problem is that I seem to have a lack of options Graham, I cannot find too many people in the UK who repair Grado headphones and I don't feel comfortable heating them up to loosen the glue and re-glueing them! Considering the cost of these, perhaps I should close my eyes and bite the bullet and hope that these guys are as "professional" as their price claims them to be!!

mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Aug 2011 at 11:08am
Considering what you could end up loosing I would send Grado USA an email. The shipping will be an issue but they may surprise you with the cost to look/repair the unit.
Miguel
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic