FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Give me ultimate proof...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jul 2008 at 7:33am
"As for GSP Audio, I have a nagging feeling it is ready to go heavyweight..."

There is nowhere else left to go.

If you read some of the other forums, public opinion is that everybody else can do just as well. However, in saying that, few have ever experienced our products. The forums tend to seal the fate of all who fail to innovate.

Innovation has to be what it means. It is no good doing anything conventional anymore, and even if you did, the politician always profits by his doctrine.

The end stays the same: the required result is the utmost in customer satisfaction.

Team innovation with customer satisfaction and the right prices in a slowing market, with the knowledge that the customer is getting something hand-built in England, and it may just succeed?

That's what most people who find us expect, and we need to give that to them. So far we have but like I said, the forum mentality is capable of breaking the nerve of our potential new customers.

So, in a way we have to offer "magic spells" on top of what we already do.

However, these innovations, although they may appear as "magic", are in fact good solid engineering innovations grounded in reality.

I am basically building on existing foundations that have supported a growth of near on 40% per annum for some time now.

We have our critics: all say similar things - that I am "old-hat" in some ways, but all admit that this "old-hat" sounds spectacularly good, and some of these comments actually get published. That tells me I am sufficiently unconventional to get noticed, but still well grounded in proper engineering. I quite like being there.

The problem with modern design is that it's boring: always the same - eternal rehashes of the same convention - a bit like going to church every Sunday expecting eternal life...

The great thing about "old-hat" is the innovative spirit it had.

And all these new terms like Damping Factor were invented in some ill-meaning minds to kill that spirit.

Well, it's still alive in me. And that's why we have our differences (though we remain great friends!)

Look back at the innovations in the tube days! Where did they all go? Not one tube amp these days features one - they've all been brought in-line with current thinking!

It's only nostalgia now that makes them novelty - it's the only selling feature they have - people convince their ears that the sound is right even though most valve gear sounds totally alien to people like me who remember how really fluid they actually were.

But if you use "old-hat" innovations of the valve days with solid-state it's remarkable how valve like the results sound - and ain't that what people have been saying about our products all the time?

That's my point and why I sail a different ship on its different course.

The "experts" will always argue what I do can't sound as good as it actually does - their ears cannot convince their eyes - it's they that have the problem. How else can anybody explain that 40% annual growth?

I guess that now I've got this reputation I could start to take the easy option and milk the cash cow, but that would be to betray my customers. So instead I tread the hard road, but the results are what I seek and I seek till I find.

Prove all things. Hold fast that which is good.

Clap

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
dvv View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jul 2008 at 9:12pm
Over the last year or so, by sheer chance I have come across a great deal of vintage devices of all sorts. They may well be "old hat", but let me tell you, fire up that Amcron DC300 power amp, and you will be not surprised, but flabbergasted. I guarantee it. But don't try to take it apart - that's a process some 5-6 hours long, because it's made quite literally like a tank.

Looks aside, it sounds like no modern power amp I have had the good luck to hear in the last 5 years at least. Including the Levinsons and Krells.

Graham, you said it - modern audio is not based on solid engineering, but on sheer marketing muscle. We "old hats" know that all too well, I'm afraid. Our problem is getting through to the kids of today, who are truly the MP3 generation.

Anyway, I can't wait to see what you have come up with.

Edited by dvv - 07 Jul 2008 at 9:12pm
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jul 2008 at 1:27am
Originally posted by dvv dvv wrote:

Anyway, I can't wait to see what you have come up with.

Oh, just 4 years research trying to pin-point exactly what European RoHS did to the sound...

Typical - Politicians change the laws of the universe without knowing jack-sh1t about them.

Egged on by the hyper rich green wellie brigade, and their Baldrick minded supporters.

Anybody else would have keeled over and given up the ghost - in fact I should be pushing-up daisies by now...

Let's see: 4 years, mostly spent finding out exactly what went wrong. That's about 80 hours a week. And let's say I should charge out my time at 50 quid a hour?

so 52 x 80 x 50 = £208,000.00

Or quite near half a million dollars!

Not bad for a miners son?

And what's the secret?

Sorry, there's a price to pay for all that research.

How's about a cool million? That's in GBP by the way

Hint of bitterness in my words? Dead right there is!

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
elektrikgypsy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elektrikgypsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jul 2008 at 9:22pm
Can't help with damping theory, I'm afraid, but uniting a comment from Graham on another thread about trying things out for yourself and listening to the results, i can personally attest to the 3020 current / speaker thing. Yonks ago i wanted to check some second hand LS3/5a speakers that had come into a shop that day. There was a Quad pre knocking about, but nothing really similar to my system that we could put it through. On a whim (both rock musicians, you see; no sense of decorum or audiophile sensibilities) we stuck it in the back of a 3020e, turned the volume to max, and controlled it from the Quad volume pot. I sense what you're thinking, but i have to tell you, it rocked!! I've never heard those speakers come alive quite like that - they're very hard to drive. Needless to say I bought them, and still love them (though these days powered with a little more finesse by a Crimson pre-power. Mind you, if i could lay my hands on that 'friend' who nicked my 3020e....). 
elektrikgypsy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elektrikgypsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jul 2008 at 12:57am
Oops - posted that without noticing there were another couple of pages of comments...

However, while I'm here...  ;-)

Amcron! Patron saint of SPL!  Gawd bless you sir! Hallowed to the back of the auditorium...

And as for the MP3 kids of today - well, yes, but... one of the biggest growth areas in music is vinyl. And it's not all old buffers - the young guys get it, and some of them are getting turned on to how good the latest turntables are - well, current vinyl replay tech generally - and how damn good it can sound. I have a couple of thousand LPs here, and am doing my own spot of evangelising with certain success.

But the thing is, so many people are mobile, or moving from flat to flat all the time, and that requires portable or mobile solutions. MP3 is a flippin godsend - I can fit my entire CD collection on one shirt pocket drive. We all know it's not up to vinyl. Fine. We just want it to sound the very best it can, nonetheless. Compressed digital audio is here to stay - let's really enjoy it.

I don't stop being aware of the sound when i step away from my home and my vinyl. I want the highest possible quality for home and away. Yes, I'm already impressed enough with my Solo that I'm hoping to buy a voyager for road use. And if you could perfect a small but perfectly formed DAC that could sneak the musical info on the mp3s in my Macbook onto nicer audio rep equipment than that found inside it, well, I'd follow that other chap's lead and experiment with some respectable active speakers to go with the decent headphones. Hifi on the move.

Because wherever i am, it's about the music!

dvv View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dvv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Aug 2008 at 9:36pm

I too am mobile. This morning, I woke up on the Kassandra peninsula near Thessaloniki, Greece, and tonight, I'll sleep in my own bed in Belgrade, Serbia. A matter of 8 hours' drive, no big deal.

I must have been the only silly git with Grado headphones listening to a Philips portable CD ("Discman") at the pool of the hotel, everybody else was plugged into some MP3 device. I readily agree they are far more practical, but I find their sound to be lacking quality which my current portable player does afford me. And with a charger always with me, batteries are no problem, standard AA fare.

Now, even I would have thought myself a weirdo, if two kids from Slovakia had not asked for a test drive of the setup; they ended up commenting that their MP3 devices were nowhere near that level of sound quality. No idea what they had, but I was pleasantly surprised, I must admit. Perhaps I just provided some deliverance for two (audio) souls?

Surely the MP3 devices are far more practical insomuch that they are readily portable, small and handy - but in my personal view, the quality compromise is unacceptable. No pain, no gain.

Re: AMCRON. All I can say is oodles of power with an uncommonly wholesome sound, built to last forever and a day. Very convincing and very honest - it does what it does and doesn't even pretend to do what it doesn't do. I love that kind of approach in general.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
  Share Topic