New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - General question about preamps with Proprius amps
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

General question about preamps with Proprius amps

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
DT999 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DT999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: General question about preamps with Proprius amps
    Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 2:08am
I have recently been considering a change away from my current integrated amp, and to use 2 x Proprius amps to drive my speakers with an appropriate preamp.

Ideally I would love to use an all GSP system and the Majestic as a pre amp, but here is where I run into some difficulties due to the required connections of my system.

I have 2 turntables, one run through an Accession M and the other through a Reflex M. 

I also have a CD transport and external DAC. No problem there as I could use the Majestic as the DAC and preamp.

However I also on occasions use headphones and need to connect a headphone amp (looking longer term at the Solo ULDE), which would be connected from the pre-out. But I also have 2 x subwoofers connected in my system, which I currently also run from a pre-out.

So my problem here is that the Majestic only has one analogue line in and one line out; whereas for my system as I currently have it I would need 2 of each. 

So my questions are, is there anyway of using a Majestic with my set up as it is? 
Or if I look at other preamps, how will they work with the dual Proprius amps? 
Should I be looking at active or passive preamps etc? 
What other sort of things should I consider?

At this stage I am researching, and I have the opportunity to trial things through the loaner program as I did with the GSP Phono stages, but I need to understand how the system might all go together.

Appreciate your thoughts and insights.

Cheers
Derek
Rega Planar 3 > Accession MM / Thorens TD160 > Reflex M > Modwright LS100 tube preamp > Solo ULDE / Proprius > Monitor Audio Silver 500 / 2 x SVS SB1000 subwoofers
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 7:34am
I run three turntables with one phonostage (Accession) into my Majestic. I use a switch box from dodocus.de.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 8:15am
Originally posted by ICL1P ICL1P wrote:

I use a switch box from dodocus.de.

...which you could use to extend your inputs.

Ermm I'm working on the rest.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
DT999 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DT999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 10:44am

I run three turntables with one phonostage (Accession) into my Majestic. I use a switch box from dodocus.de.

Thanks, that makes sense. 

From your description you obviously run your turntables to the switch and then from switch box to Accession. Do you find the box adds any noise with small cartridge signal or the extra RCA cable length etc. affects anything? 

I could run both of my phono stages to a switch box, but doing it your way mans I can remove a box (and even sell on the Reflex to offset costs)
Rega Planar 3 > Accession MM / Thorens TD160 > Reflex M > Modwright LS100 tube preamp > Solo ULDE / Proprius > Monitor Audio Silver 500 / 2 x SVS SB1000 subwoofers
DT999 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DT999 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 10:45am
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

I use a switch box from dodocus.de.

...which you could use to extend your inputs.

Ermm I'm working on the rest.

Thanks Graham, it will be interesting to see if there is a work around.
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by DT999 DT999 wrote:

Thanks, that makes sense. 

From your description you obviously run your turntables to the switch and then from switch box to Accession. Do you find the box adds any noise with small cartridge signal or the extra RCA cable length etc. affects anything? 

I could run both of my phono stages to a switch box, but doing it your way mans I can remove a box (and even sell on the Reflex to offset costs)
I’ve not noticed any detrimental effect. The Dodocus box I have (Model 248) is designed for this purpose. Best to check with Konrad.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
Sylvain View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sylvain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2021 at 2:54pm
This issue is also my endeavours for last 12 months  with Two Thorens but saw a QED switch box at Richer Sounds .....but will wait for further from Graham.....

I use Proprious Mono's and had harassed Graham on a Passive Pre Amp and mine is ready with a Good Potentiometer in a  Box .....The Proprius is parked as advised on literature and my DAC electronic Pre amp is good but temperamental and 46 clicks resistors in a box add to noise but in ' shunt' design barely noticeable provided low K.

Electronic Pre amp with CD' output of 2.8 V cause me to opt for a separate passive.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic