FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Recommended Classical Recordings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 22>
Author
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recommended Classical Recordings
    Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 3:24pm
Prompted by another post I thought I'd start a thread of recommended classical recordings that might help folk wanting to get "into" classical music but overwhelmed by the sheer numbers of musical works, and different recordings of the same works.

I'll start the ball rolling:

String Music by Elgar and Vaughan Williams - Sinfonia of London/Sir John Barbirolli (HMV/EMI)
A 1963 recording that's never been out of the catalogue (to my knowledge) - which is testament to its quality. A sumptuous Kingsway Hall recording including Elgar's Introduction & Allegro, and Vaughan Williams Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis, and Greensleeves. IMO the "gold standard" for these pieces. I have many other, good, versions, but always come back to this one.

The English Concert, directed by Trevor Pinnock (on DG Archiv)
For Baroque music, this outfit is hard to to beat. Sprightly rhythms, excellent intonation on "early" instruments and usually superb Deutsche Grammophon recordings. An easy recommendation for J.S.Bach's Brandenburg Concertos, Handel's Water Music and Music for the Royal Fireworks, and Vivaldi's Four Seasons
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 3:49pm

A resource rather than a specific recommendation - here

Tony G
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 4:15pm
And then there's this on the BBC website.
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 4:24pm
That Elgar & Vaughan Williams recording should be in every collection.
Vinyl re-issue from HiQ & EMI CD both excellent.

Tchaikovsky/ Dvorak Serenade for strings & Grieg Holberg Suite (Decca Legends)
Neville Marriner/ Academy of St Martin in the fields.
One of the finest recordings of the Holberg Suite.

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 4:54pm
Great! At last I'll be able to chuck away the stack of classical turn-off albums and buy the right copies!

I'd rather trust our member's ears, so please contribute your thoughts.

Thanks for this Bob!
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
BAK View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BAK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 5:40pm
I got Switched-On Bach when it first came out. I think it got bad reviews from the traditional classical music lovers, but only because it was played on an electronic instrument "not on hand-made" instruments.

I like it as much as Academy of St Martin in the fields, and J.S.Bach's Brandenburg Concertos, Handel's Water Music and Music for the Royal Fireworks, and Vivaldi's Four Seasons.
I really like the Water Music for peaceful serenity and Music for the Royal Fireworks for the lively rockets, you can feel the rockets shooting upwards and exploding!

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Switched-On Bach
is a musical album by Wendy Carlos (originally released under the name of Walter Carlos) and Benjamin Folkman, produced by Carlos and Rachel Elkind and released in March 1968 by Columbia Masterworks Records. It played a key role in popularizing classical music performed on electronic synthesizers, which had until then been relegated to experimental and "pop" music. This fostered a significant increase in interest in electronically rendered music in general, and the Moog synthesizer in particular.
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15, Hana EL, Technics SL-1600MK2, Lautus, Majestic DAC, Technics SH-8055 spectrum analyzer, Eminence Beta8A custom cabs; Proprius & Reflex M or C, Enjoy Life your way!
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2015 at 5:43pm
You're welcome, Graham. Wink

The BBC podcasts of "building a library" are a good listen for their respective pieces, and you get to hear different versions with a commentary on what's good or bad about them. They're good introductions to the music too, and end with a recommendation. (I don't know if they're available outside the UK, though . . )
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 22>
  Share Topic