FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Fidelity Audio Upgrade for Novo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
fitcaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fitcaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fidelity Audio Upgrade for Novo
    Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 12:18pm

I presume those looking at ebay know this company. Has anyone tried the upgrade or have any comments on the relevance, cost and likely improvements.

It looks to me a waste of time and money (ignoring warranty issues) but Im no expertCry

F
fitcaz View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fitcaz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 2:01pm

The kit

• 1x Rubycon ZLH low ESR PSU Capacitors (Pre psu reg)
  • 1x Rubycon ZLH low ESR PSU Capacitors (Post psu reg)
  • 1x SPower low noise voltage regulator
  • 2x Vishay MKT signal input capacitors
  • 2x Vishay MKT signal output capacitors
  • Price: £99 inc vat
mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 2:45pm

Can not find the post, care to provide the link? Wonder what makes this seller think this would be an upgrade, and expensive at that when compared w/ the Novo Kit cost. Confused

Miguel
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 6:26pm
I wish I had the brass neck! (not)

Must be all of £5 quids worth, or more like £2 if you're trade!

My advice: spend less than that on a year's subscription of the upcoming Audio Projects magazine - it'll tell you how to do real tweaks that work, and how they work too!

Yes, you too can be a hot modding expert and get 6 or 12 times the value for 30% less than this rip!

Edited by Graham Slee - 11 Jan 2010 at 6:26pm
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2010 at 9:09pm

So what's Fiddlety Audio got that I don't?

OK. I tried ZLHs and just about every other audio cap. They're cheap enough to fit as standard, so why is it I don't?

This, and what's in the Novo already, is an electrolytic cap. By "magic" these high frequency electrolytics do low impedance at high frequencies. They're like this so the manufacturer can sell to the switching power supply industry where they need to be able to handle frequencies in the order of 10kHz to 100kHz and not get hot (or too hot). An electrolytics life is shortened by heat. So they do these high frequencies with lower inductance... good? Yes, for switchers!

Their characteristics are focused on this band of supersonic frequencies so you'd guess there's a trade off, wouldn't you? (because there is) And the trade off is poorer performance at lower frequencies. There are lots of characteristics that define the performance of an electrolytic, including the bung the wires come through, the type of separator paper used, the type of etching used on the foil etc. A good audio cap has a good balance of these characteristics - a high frequency cap does not!

Vishay MKT? Metalised Polyester film to be precise. Guess what's in it already? Maybe he's got blue ones instead of my grey ones?

And WTF does this guy mean by output capacitors? The output caps are 470 micro-farads! They don't make MKT that size! So he must mean something else, that's if he knows what he means at all?

And a so-called low noise regulator...

As if the noise could be heard...

£99...

OK, if you buy a Mercedes Benz you can get a body kit, but it ain't more expensive than the car! *

Wacko

*The Novo PCB assembly kit containing all the electronic components is £89.30 inc VAT

Edited by Graham Slee - 11 Jan 2010 at 9:13pm
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2010 at 12:58am
One final note:

I trust anybody doing "unofficial" mods to any product make sure they make others aware before 1] commenting on its sound, and 2] attempting to sell on.

We know there is at least one vociferous person who makes comments on our products after making considerable modifications - this is highly misleading.
ServerBaboon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ServerBaboon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2010 at 3:55pm
There is some recognition for your work Graham, he does charge more to 'upgrade' a Creek Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic