New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Eternal upgrades that plight us & perfection quest
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Eternal upgrades that plight us & perfection quest

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
11rushgarrick11 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 11rushgarrick11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Eternal upgrades that plight us & perfection quest
    Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 11:37am
Good morning all..

I'm not for one second saying that I have achieved audio perfection with the system I have currently hobbled together but to my ears I'm extremely happy. Since the start of my pursuit I have tried to keep an open budget as much as actually possible (I don't mind paying £150+ for a cable) providing my ears can justify it. I'm not for one second saying price brings greatness, I'm just giving you an example of budget and justification..

So I have my headphones 701s to me my idea of an audio dream, my three headphone amps (one Slee, one other manufacturer which I've upgraded components on and one DIY build from my uni days), my cable I love very much (yes I said love) and my beautiful source, the apollo. They reside also on an a nicely isolated granite plinth.

I adore the sound produced and Mr Cohens voice is delivered with real depth and texture, there is real emphasis in the notes he delivers and real emotion. The notes also have beautiful decay... Hearing Tori's gasps of breath is something really to hear.

So what's the problem?

I'm stuck in a condition I call APL (audiophiles perpetual loop). It's been a good week here in tattoo land without sounding brash and I'm looking to buy an upgrade to my system but where to go next? I'm thinking the most noticeable leap would be DAC but I'm scratching my head..

Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated, I mean other than the dac route, what other directions can I go.. Any ways any idea no matter how whacky (so long as its not snake oil) is greatly appreciated.

I know no matter what I buy, the following week/month I will be researching something new to add. So whilst asking the genuine question that I'd like help with. I'm also looking for other addicts to say, you know what.. Don't worry we are all in the same boat. I guess it's just an audiophiles way. (I do hate that word audiophile) I just used it for descriptive purposes.

So yip, any thoughts, opinions would be great..

The founding member of AA (Audiophiles Anonymous).

Peace all take care :p

Hmm.. guess it's only a matter of time before I throw a greater interest in vinyl.. Hmm! Arghh see I'm at it again :p

Edited by 11rushgarrick11 - 13 Mar 2013 at 1:30pm
the real art of conducting consists in transistors :p
mitch65 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mitch65 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 1:02pm
I don't think you're on your own Robert, my wife 'rolls eyes' on a regular basis, she knows I have an 'audio addiction' and, within reason, let's me get on with it. Funnily enough things like phono stages and speakers are items I tend to keep for ever and a day but amps, cd players, etc. I change like the weather.
I've been lucky that I've always come out evens or slightly ahead financially thanks to the 'bay'. Can't help you with your DAC problem, I've had the Rega one and a fine DAC it is. Graham is in the final stages of his Big DAC so might be worth hanging it out til then, I'll certainly be giving it a go.....Wink
Greg

Rega Planer 3
Gram Amp 2
Audiolab 8000A
Auralic Aries Mini
Russell K 50
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 3:00pm
Going on the spectacular performance of the Bitzie, Graham's Big DAC should be well worth waiting for!
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 3:13pm
Lautus interconnects throughout?

Spatia speaker cables and links?

Bitzie USB DAC and Lautus USB?

Just ideas...

Graham
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 8:43pm
GSP - one day all hi-fi will be hand built this way.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
jamescodway View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamescodway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 9:15pm
HD800... Sorry
Voyager - HD25
11rushgarrick11 View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 11rushgarrick11 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2013 at 9:33pm
lol (I did say upgrade) JOKE!!

I've had the pleasure of auditioning many headphones including the Senn 800s and Grados second from flagship and I will always return to the 701s. I'm not saying they are better, it's just my ears find them more pleasurable. That's what makes audio so subjective and difficult to review.

the real art of conducting consists in transistors :p
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic