FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

DIY Switch Box

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: DIY Switch Box
    Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 10:49am
I'm building a multi-way RCA switch box and have ordered all the parts necessary, including an Elma 2 pole 6 way switch. This will replace a low cost 4 way box which I bought from Maplins many years ago (inputs for second turntable, SACD player, DVD player audio & Behringer UMC22).

Question: I have enough spare Spatia cable left over from a speaker build to make all the internal connections. 
Will this be suitable or do I need to use something else? (I do not want to use silver cabling)

Edited by Drewan77 - 16 Feb 2018 at 2:25pm
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 2:23pm
All components, plates drilled awaiting cables (?) & soldering up....

Andrew
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 3:54pm
Now can you build me of those to take the signals from three TTs to 1 phono stage?
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 4:16pm
I would be happy to do that Ifor but need someone technically savvy to confirm if this would cause capacitance issues before a phono stage (ie similar to my question below). I have a feeling it will.

In my case, this box is going to switch 5 sources into the analogue input of the Majestic but after one of the phono stages.

Edited by Drewan77 - 16 Feb 2018 at 4:19pm
Andrew
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 4:26pm
I wasn't really being serious. Graham has already said it's not straightforward.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 7:06pm
The usual thing to do here is twist the ground lugs through 90 degrees and thread a stout piece of tinned copper wire through to form a low impedance ground. Left and right grounds could be isolated from each other, but what about shield continuity? If the case is to shield the signals effectively it should be connected to the commoned socket grounds. Assuming the output being at one end, then connect the furthest input's grounds together and take them to a screw head (in the rear panel) using a solder tag. It is also a good idea to distress the anodising in the contersunk area around each screw hole using a centre punch to allow the screw to bite onto bare metal, as anodising does not conduct. Hopefully the screw threads will wear off any anodising in the screwport threads.

(EDIT) don't forget to use a serrated washer under the rear panel grounding screw head or it won't conduct, and check using the continuity tester on a multimeter that all metalwork is conducting with each other.

Edited by Graham Slee - 16 Feb 2018 at 7:09pm
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2018 at 8:03pm
Thank you Graham, I will do all that.

What about my question about using Spatia as the cabling - is that OK?
Andrew
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic