FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Direct-to-Disc

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Analog Kid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analog Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Direct-to-Disc
    Posted: 07 May 2008 at 1:57am
Does anyone here have any Direct-to-Disc (D2D) recordings in their music collection? I only have two:

*Lazy Lester (33 1/3 rpm 180-gram LP / Analogue Productions / 2000)
-Cutting lathe: Neumann VMS70 with Ortofon cutter head

*Laurindo Almeida: Virtuoso Guitar (45-rpm white LP / Crystal Clear Records / 1977)
-Cutting lathe: Neumann VMS70 with Neumann SX74 cutter head

Both were cut live direct to lacquer by Stan Ricker. The purity of sound, the clarity and the sense of realism is exceptional in these two recordings and is better than anything I have ever heard before. Direct-to-disc is the most challenging way to record but also the best sounding. All music should be recorded this way. Recording to tape is the second-best option and digital the worst.

If any of you have any D2D albums you can recommend, let's hear from you.

More information about the D2D process here:

http://www.auldworks.com/AESDD/dd1.htm

Edited by Analog Kid - 07 May 2008 at 2:00am
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2008 at 9:49am
Hey, didn't they used to do that with 78s? Thumbs%20Up

"So much behind us, still far to go" (Gilmour)

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
stuxter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2008 at 12:25pm
I have `Jazz at The Pawnshop`, although i wouldnt say it was one of my best sounding LP`s  Confused

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analog Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2008 at 3:49pm
Originally posted by stuxter stuxter wrote:

I have `Jazz at The Pawnshop`, although i wouldnt say it was one of my best sounding LP`s  Confused

Eh? "Jazz at The Pawnshop" is not a D2D recording. It was recorded live direct to 2-track analog tape and then mastered for vinyl and later on for CD.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analog Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2008 at 3:53pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Hey, didn't they used to do that with 78s? Thumbs%20Up

"So much behind us, still far to go" (Gilmour)

Yes, and they should keep on doing it with 33s and 45s. Unfortunately your average band today is a bunch of worthless talentless hacks and they would ruin two dozen blank lacquers before they would get it right. Acoustic music should always be recorded direct-to-disc but for hard rock and metal tape is a better option since you simply need the warmth and fatness you get in those genres from analog tape.

stuxter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stuxter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2008 at 4:45pm
its still dont sound amazing whatever it was mastered on !

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analog Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2008 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by stuxter stuxter wrote:

its still dont sound amazing whatever it was mastered on !

What does that have to do with the D2D recording process? I never said it was amazing, and since this is not a D2D recording and we are discussing D2D recordings here, this discussion is null and void, don't you think? Smile

Just to clarify: this thread is about albums recorded live direct to lacquer disc and "Jazz at the Pawnshop" was NOT recorded direct-to-disc, so whether that album sounds amazing or horrible is irrelevant as far as this topic is concerned.

On topic: recording direct-to-disc is of course no guarantee for great sound if the live mix being fed to the cutting lathe is not of high quality or the musicians are poor performers. But as far as purity of sound and sense of realism, to my ears, nothing captures sound the way same as the D2D process.

Edited by Analog Kid - 07 May 2008 at 5:03pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic