FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Comparisons

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Comparisons
    Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 4:26pm
Hi all:

I hope I'm posting in the right spot for this query......

My last move didn't go well and my Rega P2 came out the worse for wear. It's actually no longer playable for the damage it sustained......I had planned on upgrading it in the new year anyways but now it'll be an outright new tt purchase.

This segues into wondering how many may have had/have been able to do an A/B comparison of a Rega and Funk Firm tt. 
I had planned on jumping from a P2 to the new P8 but having done some reading I'm mighty interested in Funk Firm as an alternative. 
So my question comes down to do you know how close the FF Little Super Deck 2 FX3 version is to a Rega P8? From what I've heard his Gett! 2 is comparable to a Rega P3 which gives me a baseline to go by......

Cheers!

(And yes I know it's all subjective and in the ear of the person listening but before I plan a long weekend trip to get to the nearest retailer I'd like to hear your thoughts)

Naim Supernait 3
Rega P8
Ortofon 2M Bronze
Naim CD5x
Flatcap 2
Rotel T11 tuner
AudioQuest Rocket 88s
Audioquest Chicago interconnect
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 7:12pm
Hi Colin
Over here in the UK I have not heard much about Funk Firm, This maybe some thing to do with where I live in England, Plymouth. Down here we don't have many HiFi shops, Well in my city we only have one now. So all I can say is, the Rega P8 is a very good turntable and if I could afford it I'd have no hesitation in buying it.
I do like your choice of cartridge!!
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 9:21pm
I got curious so I looked up where he is located: a little ways south east of Brighton on Denton Island in Newhaven.
Naim Supernait 3
Rega P8
Ortofon 2M Bronze
Naim CD5x
Flatcap 2
Rotel T11 tuner
AudioQuest Rocket 88s
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 9:31pm
It looks to be nicer there than Denton Island, Manchester, UK Smile
fluddite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fluddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 9:32pm
Originally posted by Chris Firth Chris Firth wrote:

It looks to be nicer there than Denton Island, Manchester, UK Smile

Don't be too sure... Wink
fluddite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fluddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2021 at 9:55pm
Originally posted by Guy Guy wrote:

My last move didn't go well and my Rega P2 came out the worse for wear. It's actually no longer playable for the damage it sustained......I had planned on upgrading it in the new year anyways but now it'll be an outright new tt purchase.

This segues into wondering how many may have had/have been able to do an A/B comparison of a Rega and Funk Firm tt. 
I had planned on jumping from a P2 to the new P8 but having done some reading I'm mighty interested in Funk Firm as an alternative. 
So my question comes down to do you know how close the FF Little Super Deck 2 FX3 version is to a Rega P8? From what I've heard his Gett! 2 is comparable to a Rega P3 which gives me a baseline to go by......

Hi Guy

Not an exact answer to your query, but...

Exactly how damaged is your P2? Is it motor? Platter? Base? Arm? The lot? (Presumably not the excellent 2M Bronze, else you'd have mentioned that...). The reason I ask is that if it's not too knackered (i.e. the motor works and the platter/base still exist in some form), a cheaper alternative to the (superb) P8 or the (not heard by me) FF LSD 3 FX3 would be to contact the estimable Arthur Khoubesserian of Funk Firm and enquire about his Rega Rage 3 upgrade (https://www.thefunkfirm.co.uk/products/p/rega-upgrade-kits) - highly thought of by some reviewers (e.g. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4h4qg2gcdfo&t=1427s) - or, for that matter, the less expensive Rage tweaks. Even the most expensive of these (Rage 3) comes in at £300+ less than the P8, and gets you recycling brownie points to boot... Wink

Full disclosure: my 1983-vintage Planar 3 is currently with Arthur K. (who, it turns out, lives only a few streets away from me on the Soft Sarf Coast and is similarly partial to a nice bottle of red... Thumbs Up) for precisely that Rage 3 upgrade - so can report back when it's done, if you're willing to wait...

Frank
Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2021 at 12:24am
I'd be interested in hearing (pun intended) what AK's upgrades to your P3 did for the sound and presentation Frank...

I put a few minutes into thinking about fixing/tweaking my P2 and looked at replacement parts but it just doesn't seem worthwhile. 
To start with, the hinges for the dust cover no longer fit into place on to the lid, there is a noticeable ding and finish coming off of a front corner of the plinth, the platter has a sizable chunk missing...I don't know if the motor operates at a steady speed but the arm and cart seem unharmed so I'll keep it until it wears out and needs replacing...that's the lovely thing about the Supernait 3 - I can plug and play a MM cart until I switch to MC..

Naim Supernait 3
Rega P8
Ortofon 2M Bronze
Naim CD5x
Flatcap 2
Rotel T11 tuner
AudioQuest Rocket 88s
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic