FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Closed back cans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Andy9672 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy9672 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Closed back cans
    Posted: 17 Oct 2008 at 11:12pm
Help,

I need some closed back cans that have a huge amount of noise isolation.

The problem is that whilst listening to music in bed i keep on waking up my wife! and she complains!

I cannot get on with in-ear type phones so i am after a closed back can that my wife cannot hear.

I have a pair of W1000's at the moment but they can so easily be heard by others.

Looking at about £90-150 though lower would be good!

Any ideas welcomed.

Andy
Solo psu1
Rega Apollo
AT W1000
Technics SL1200
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2008 at 2:56pm
Andy, there is no headphone on the planet that gives that sort of isolation!

Why not get up if you can't sleep and site your gear somewhere remote from the wife?

If you need the music to lull you to sleep, try "Valerina Night-Time" by "Pharbio" available from most Holland and Barrett shops or online.

Sorry for this (Gardener's World) "John Cushnie" sort of reply but not many members share with us their nocturnal habits...Wink

Thanks for joining!

Best wishes,
Graham

That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
ServerBaboon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ServerBaboon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Oct 2008 at 12:01pm
I'm sure I have heard it said that W1000s are one of the better ones at keeping the noise in.

I have the ath-a900's but they still leak a bit, will try a wife test tonight, you could also turn the volume down.

Have you tried aproaching this from the other direction.... get your wife to use ear plugs Wink
mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2008 at 12:11am
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Andy, there is no headphone on the planet that gives that sort of isolation!

Totally agree, and if I may I would suggest you consider an IEM. Of these you can spend a lot of money but in the price range you mention the Ultimate Ear Super.Fi 3 come on top. If you are ok w/ a bit less bass but excellent detail and clarity the Etymotic ER6i would be my other choice.

Good luck.
Miguel
Andy9672 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Andy9672 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2008 at 12:39pm
I must admit that i ahd not thought of asking my wife to wear ear plugs.

I think if I did that I may end up on the sofa! though that would solve the problem as well!

Solo psu1
Rega Apollo
AT W1000
Technics SL1200
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Oct 2008 at 1:34pm
Thanks for entertaining us Andy.

(this is the worst it gets, honest Wink)
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Chivas View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chivas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2008 at 9:42am

Hi Andy

I agree, thanks for the entertainment!! Entertaining it may be, but it is actually a problem to a few of us, since I for one also like falling asleep to music. I have given up on the idea of earplugs, sofas, closed back cans and all the rest....and there is only one thing left to do...make her one of us!! Clap

Which brings me to the question: Does anybody know of a good quality Y-connector and will the Solo MC be able to drive two Sennheisers (1*HD650 and 1*HD600) with the same input impedance?

PS. As mentioned before, I am new to this world and have recently picked up that people spend a lot of money on power cables!!?? Does this really make a difference? Certainly not when you use a transformer? Is this normally only used for power components (i.e. power amps?) and is it worth the money? Or do I miss the whole point and it is all about (very expensive!!) isolation?

Chivas
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic