FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Capturing 78 records on iMac computer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2013 at 11:51am
Originally posted by BobC BobC wrote:

The Roland Quad-Capture is certainly worth a try for me.

Looks good to me.

Graham
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2013 at 1:13pm
Originally posted by Phil Bishop Phil Bishop wrote:

You will be pleased to know I have just ordered a Reflex M with mono switch for digitising duties from John Smile 
Hi Phil,

Can you tell me if the SQ of a mono rip done with a mono switch for the signal is appreciably different from doing a stereo rip and then converting the WAV file to mono?

I've always thought that doing a de-click on a stereo WAV file of a mono recording was more effective than doing it on the mono'd file, but am open to other ways of doing this . . 

I suppose for the ultimate fidelity you should really use a mono cartridge?

Thanks.
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Phil Bishop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2013 at 5:13pm
Bob C,

I hope it works for you too - it is certainly the best ADC I have tried. If you do get one, make sure you follow the set up instructions. I also rip to my Macbook running on battery power to minimise interference. If it does not work, they sell well on ebay.

Morris Bob,

No idea because I never tried that. When I did rip mono 78's and 45's I used old Lenco GL59/70 turntables with true mono GE variable reluctance cartridges. These fed a Slee Revelation phono stage to Quad-Capture and Mac. The results were fine although I had to attenuate the signal from the cartridges which were 20 mV from memory!

However, the best 78 rips I have ever heard were done by a friend using the same Lencos and a variety of true mono VR cartridges - GE, Tannoy, Pickering. He used a Slee Jazz Club to CD recorder made by Pioneer I think and it produced superb copies (which can always be imported to iTunes, etc). Don't forget the humble CD recorder which can be picked up cheaply these days Smile

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Phil Bishop - 20 Jan 2013 at 5:14pm
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2013 at 7:14pm
Thanks Phil,

Ah, yes the CD recorder! I had a Philips one long ago (it seems!). I think it was the first thing I ever sold on eBay! As soon as I could record to my PC on cheaper blanks I never used it . . Embarrassed
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
BobC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2013 at 9:25pm
Phil. Off to Leeds tomorrow to give a Quad-Capture a try. Thanks also for the tip about the MacBook. Bob
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
  Share Topic