FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Capturing 78 records on iMac computer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
Phil Bishop View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jan 2013 at 10:34pm
Bob,

I started with the NAD and found it introduced a whining sound to transcriptions. However, the up side was getting Vinyl Studio which seems excellent to me. The Rega Fono A2D also gave me background noise when digitising - no idea why. The Quad Capture does the business though - well worth whatever it costs. Because it's a pro tool it's a bit fiddly to connect up (XLR connections, etc) but you can buy adapters. I have been digitising some LP's over the last few days and am very pleased with the results.

Cheers

Phil

Edited by Phil Bishop - 19 Jan 2013 at 10:52pm
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2013 at 8:41am
[QUOTE=Phil Bishop]I started with the NAD and found it introduced a whining sound to transcriptions. However, the up side was getting Vinyl Studio which seems excellent to me. The Rega Fono A2D also gave me background noise when digitising - no idea why. ...QUOTE]

Phil, would you say it was nearer a whistling noise?

Graham
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
BobC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2013 at 9:29am
Hi again Phil. I have now looked in more detail at the Quad-Capture you favour and it has prompted me to think about this in a slightly different way.

Have you, or other members, tried to make the link between the phono stage (Jazz Club or Revelation M) using the Tosslink digital optical input on the iMac? What are your thoughts?

Also, am I being naive but what is wrong with a simple analogue to digital convertor between the phone stage and the computer - either USB or digital optical? There are certainly a wide range of these on the market at prices ranging from a few pounds to several thousand. Regards, Bob C
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2013 at 10:13am
Originally posted by BobC BobC wrote:

Also, am I being naive but what is wrong with a simple analogue to digital convertor between the phone stage and the computer - either USB or digital optical? There are certainly a wide range of these on the market at prices ranging from a few pounds to several thousand. Regards, Bob C

The simple answer - nothing! That's really all you need...
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2013 at 11:00am
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Phil, would you say it was nearer a whistling noise?

Graham

Graham,

I seem to remember I had a continual high pitched sound from the NAD. With the Rega, I had a kind of background whistling/whirring sound in the background - low level, but it was there. The Roland is totally silent.

The NAD and Rega may work well for others but not for me. It may have been a system incompatibility but I use a Mac with OSX Lion so pretty standard.

You will be pleased to know I have just ordered a Reflex M with mono switch for digitising duties from John Smile 

Cheers

Phil

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Phil Bishop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2013 at 11:08am
Originally posted by BobC BobC wrote:

Hi again Phil. I have now looked in more detail at the Quad-Capture you favour and it has prompted me to think about this in a slightly different way.

Have you, or other members, tried to make the link between the phono stage (Jazz Club or Revelation M) using the Tosslink digital optical input on the iMac? What are your thoughts?

Bob,

You could go from phono stage into iMac analogue (recording) input I guess using a splitter cable but I'm not sure if the Mac or software would do the conversion. Never tried that.

As for the cheap USB devices I have used one of these - a Behringer UCA222 (or something like that). Works well but there is one fundamental problem. The software needs a level control to prevent clipping and you only get that input level control on devices like the Quad-Capture.

Like all these things, there are so many ways to skin the cat. I have by trial and error found my way but there are many others out there I'm sure.

Cheers

Phil
BobC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jan 2013 at 11:41am
Phil. Once again, very helpful. I certainly agree with you about the USB devices as they simply do not give me what I want.  It is also no longer an option on the iMac to go into an analogue recording input as this has been replaced by the digital optical input in the headphone socket using a Tosslink 3.5 mini-jack.

Your point about clipping is a really good one I hadn't thought of. Some can be removed at the editing stage but the less editing needed the better. I prefer the best quality recording I can get to reduce distortion and quality reduction from editing. The Roland Quad-Capture is certainly worth a try for me. Bob

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic