FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Capturing 78 records on iMac computer

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2013 at 3:37pm
Jazz Club - good choice.Wink

We were thinking of putting an ADC in the same case as a Bitzie (USB DAC - to be released soon) where it does the same job but backwards... line in to USB out, but it would only be 48/16.

If you had a sound card to accept S/PDIF (optical or coax) maybe the Wolfson transceiver and CODEC chips would do 96/24, but how this would fit into our designs this year I don't know.

There are two qualities of doing 48/16: rough and cheap, or high quality but pricey. I think this is where people get a little confused. 48/16 done well is actually very good.

PS: my USB idea should be easily if not instantly recognised by most OS and machines I would think.

Edited by Graham Slee - 18 Jan 2013 at 3:40pm
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2013 at 3:50pm

Bob,

the interface unit I suggested  not because it has a phono stage, but because is has a USB2 interface with Mac OSX drivers available and because it also offers input level control in hardware.

It also offers microphone and instrument (musical) input in addition to the phono and line-level inputs, the only ones of interest in this application are the line-level.

Hardware input level control I consider mandatory and my own interface not having that feature, I modified a buffer stage by fitting a stepped attenuator to achieve that, placing it between the Reflex and the line level inputs.

The recording software that I use, offers the convenient facility of being able to be set to hold the peak levels on the meters, this allows me to run through a recording and easily set the levels without having to watch the meters the whole time to avoid clipping.

The onboard ADC (analogue to digital converter) while not professional level quality is good pro-sumer level quality, intended for musicians home studio recording.

The fact that they offer the option of an inbuilt phono stage does not mean you have to use it, I do not.   As you might note, I have compared them and prefer not to use it

Edited by tg - 18 Jan 2013 at 3:56pm
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2013 at 3:50pm
Originally posted by BobC BobC wrote:

What I am stil unclear about is why the convertor that you suggest (and the Behering suggested by the previous member) require their own phono stage. Surely this would be dealt with by the Revelation or Jazz Club? Doesn't this reduce the quality of the output from the Graham Slee equipment? I would have thought I am looking for a high quality audio to digital convertor without its own phono stage.  Or, am I just showing my ignorance? Thanks for the help Tony.  Regards, Bob
You're right Bob, the Jazz Club would do the amplification/equalisation and the output of this would go into the USB audio interface (one without its own phono stage!).

The Mac audio editor I use is Twisted Wave (about $80), which I find does the job I want very well. I know Audacity is free, but I never got on too well with this . . . Confused

Graham's suggestion that the Bitzie could do ADC as well as DAC is very tempting (for me) Smile
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
BobC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2013 at 3:52pm
Thanks Graham. The Jazz Club certainly seems to be the direction I am heading in - which is where I started originally. I am still left though with the issue of the audio to digital conversion. Obviously I don't want to buy a good phono stage and then reduce the quality in the conversion to digital. Regards, Bob
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2013 at 3:57pm
Either of the audio interfaces Tony and I suggested would be more than up to producing a good "rip" of a 78 IMO. With judicious use of Click Repair the rips will sound better than the discs! 
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
BobC View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BobC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2013 at 4:10pm
Thanks for the information about Twisted Wave. I do not know that editor so will give it a look. I tend to agree with you about Audacity ...

Everyone's very helpful information has brought me much closer to a decision.  The outstanding bit still seems to be the USB audio interface. While accepting the ones recommended will do the job I am very reluctant to introduce another phono stage  - seems to defeat the purpose of buying the Jazz Club. I could use the NAD 33i or the similar basic one made by Rega and then I don't need a convertor at all.  However, the reproduction quality of these units is not sufficiently good for what I want to achieve.

Also, using audio editors like CleanUp, DeNoise, Vinyl Studio or Audacity, while removing noise, reduce the overall sound quality of the recording. This is why I am keen to input as good a recording as possible so the editing can be kept to a minimum. 

So, I am still looking for ideas and experience on how to make the audio to digital conversion while maintaining the quality of the Jazz Club. Thanks, Bob
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jan 2013 at 4:15pm
Originally posted by BobC BobC wrote:

Thanks Graham. The Jazz Club certainly seems to be the direction I am heading in - which is where I started originally. I am still left though with the issue of the audio to digital conversion. Obviously I don't want to buy a good phono stage and then reduce the quality in the conversion to digital. Regards, Bob

That's the reason I suggested the USB ADC I'm going to be working on. 48/16 is more than enough to cover a vinyl LP which is essentially 12 bit dynamic range!

The sensitive part is the input to the ADC chip and no matter how high the bits or sampling rate is, if the analogue into the ADC chip isn't right, it won't be right.

On top of that the ADC chip needs a really stable power supply to its analogue stage or it'll result in distortion (obvious to some...).

My USB ADC design features these important items but if there are no takers I'll just put it in a Gram Amp 2SE and call the resulting product something else.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
  Share Topic