FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Burn-in revisited

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 24>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Jun 2010 at 6:57pm
In my experience most of the burn-in is over after about 3-4 weeks but resistors (metal film - the type we use) can take up to 6 months, but that's going to be less noticeable.

http://www.analog.com/library/analogdialogue/archives/39-05/Web_Ch7_final_J.pdf

See page 7.13 (page 15 of 166)
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
hotmog View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hotmog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jun 2010 at 10:01pm
Graham - can you clarify to what extent simply leaving the unit switched on over the required period is sufficient to achieve burn in, or whether a source input signal is also required.

If the latter, will it harm the amp if no headphones are connected? I only ask because I'm sure I remember reading somewhere many years ago that amps could be damaged if they were being driven with the speakers disconnected.  
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2010 at 12:08pm
The unit simply being switched on will do most of what's required as the DC voltages will be on the circuit. The signal (ac voltages) will in a way be there all the time also as all amplifiers produce what is termed as self-noise. Although this is only around -80dB on a Solo or -70dB on a phono stage it has some effect. Normal usage (which I would expect to be regular) in the meantime will apply the intended ac voltages. In the case of all of our designs, every electrolytic capacitor is always "biased on" with charge. Further reading on this subject can be found on the 'net authored by J L Hood who was an "authority" on the use of electrolytic capacitors in audio. Another "authority" on capacitors in audio, and much under-sung is Walt Jung who used to be an Analog Devices development engineer.

All our products are safe to power up without an output (or even an input) being connected. I once had an Amstrad IC2000 Mk.4 amplifier (circa 1972) on which the speakers had to be connected or the amp would burn-out. A friend had the receiver version and disconnected the speakers whilst switched on, which resulted in black smoke from the back of the unit. Obviously this was because of instability, and Mr Sugar is now in the House of Lords - God help us!
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
germanjulian View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote germanjulian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2010 at 10:35am
Hi,

good to read a bit more about burn in. Even computer processors take a while to burn in and leak less.... only important if you overclock the hell out of them though :)
Novo + HD650
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2010 at 10:55am

Came across the following snippet while pursuing other things - as one does Wink

http://www.acoustic-dimension.com/blackgate/techEcap.htm

The Idling Process
If a Black Gate capacitor mounted on an electronic device is actuated, a signal current flows into it and the electrodes are gradually activated, reducing non-linear distortion and phase distortion substantially while improving the efficiency of power transfer efficiency. The time required for this process varies widely with the capacity, voltage and signal level a total of about 30 hours is the standard level. Once this process of idling is completed. The effect continues as long as the capacitor Is kept at the same place and the operating environment does not undergo a substantial change The effect of idling has been proved with all types of electronic equipment - analogue, digital, high-frequency and other devices. It must be noted that idling is different from ageing, which applies a direct current voltage without giving signals.

Goes some way to explaining the behaviour I have observed particularly with the Marantz CDPs I compared in another thread that both use a significant number of Blackgate caps, but also by extension to other electrolytics and explains, to me at least, why well burned in units such as a Solo or Reflex will take some days to arrive in full song after being powered off.

I have observed this behaviour in products from other manufacturers also and it suggests that passing a signal will speed the re-settling time to stable performance.

Palladio View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Palladio Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Dec 2010 at 10:56pm
I am using an Ortofon Rondo Blue in an Origin Live Illustrious arm.
I have also recently up-graded my Fanfare 3 to a Reflex C +PSU1.
I feel the "C" is now burnt in and settled down and looking to complete the final link.
The OL arm is hard wired, so no change of inter-connrct there.
However, from the "C" to the amp is a Van den Hul Thunderline (some 15 years old)
The big question is........Is the Cusat 50 going to show any improvement?
Kasper View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Kasper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2011 at 4:35pm
This was very useful information. A lot of stuff I had no knowledge about. I now also know why it´s good to keep the equipment powered on. Thanks.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 24>
  Share Topic