FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Burn-in revisited

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 21222324>
Author
Str8Wire View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Str8Wire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Dec 2020 at 1:57am
Thanks @ifc jon. after about a couple of months use with the Enigma I noticed no difference from initial use.
Bnes View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bnes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 3:34am
Looking for some insights on the topic.

I have purchased a new Reflex C phono stage and have had it powered on for about 55 hours at this point. 

I have noticed some slight improvement to bass, but over all I am still finding it a little bright.  Even “harsh” sounding at times depending on the track.  

So far, here are my observations in comparison to my old P******t Tube Box II. 

I have noticed that the Reflex C is very quiet.  The sound floor is lower than the tube box, and vocals seem to be a little more upfront.

That said, I’ve noticed some other details that aren’t as flattering.  When listening to vocal recordings by Nina Simone, Nora Jones and Ella Fitzgerald - the accompaniment seems to be a little thin and not as lush as the project. They sound distant.  Drums, piano etc - they aren’t as musical.

When I increase the volume to bring this forward, the vocals sound a harsh.

With the project, it is warmer and a little more laid back.  Vocals are a little smoother, almost silkier and the accompanying instruments are more musical.

It picks up string sounds and  nuances  better than the Reflex at the moment..  When I turn the volume up, not only do the vocals sound better, but these nuances come to life.  These details are more present, more “full.” With the Reflex, the are thinner, and sit a little more in the background.

Am I  going to see the Reflex settle in to the extent where it becomes more musical?

I am also using the “green” power supply at the moment.  What impact will the PSU1 have on the Reflex?

Right now I am not seeing an improvement to the sound of my stereo.  I actually prefer the tube box.  

RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 9:12am
Hi Bnes,
Give it at least a couple of weeks of continuous power. Patience is needed with run-in.
GSP don't supply the Reflex C with the 'get you started' green PSU - probably for good reason.
The PSU1 should improve the Reflex C noticeably - strongly advise you to try one before making a final judgement.
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 10:40am
Originally posted by Bnes Bnes wrote:

I have purchased a new Reflex C phono stage

Who the hell sold it to you with a "green" PSU?

I'd prefer a proper judgment even if the other guy wins, than being legged down right from the start!

Graham
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2021 at 11:22am
Power supply will make a significant difference to the performance of audio electronics. The Reflex C was once a flagship product for moving coil so use of a switched-mode power supply will prevent it from conveying its full potential.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
R66 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote R66 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 8:26am
My understanding of cable directionality and i can certainly hear the difference. Is when the copper wire is drawn through the die the molecular structure lines up in a certain way. So the signal can either be with or against this flow.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2021 at 11:52am
At school, I was taught that metals are typically comprised of metal ions floating in a sea of electrons. So the electrons are delocalised and do not have to remain within the vicinity of their respective ions. This is part of the explanation for the efficient electrical and thermal conductivities of metals. Energy transfers like these propagate at high speed through the material. Metals are often described as uniform or isotropic in their chemical structure but this is not necessarily the case for their charge distribution or dipole moments, which are part of the explanation for magnetism, whether it is induced or permanent.

So if we consider that metals are fairly uniform in structure but when it comes to dipole alignment, there can be some variation (imagine a permanent version of Van der Waals forces in chemistry). If there may be subtle differences in the behaviour of charge and their motions and how they transfer signals down the length of cable so there could be a small difference in bias, caused as previously suggested, during high voltage flash testing when manufactured. Magnetic fields and electric fields are not simple things to understand but this is where I believe the explanation lies. I have personally been able to perceive differences in bass focus and phasing when I tried swapping cable direction in the past and I really don't think it was placebo.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 21222324>
  Share Topic