FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Broke the sub preout on Pioneer SC-LX83

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
UKMach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UKMach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Broke the sub preout on Pioneer SC-LX83
    Posted: 01 Jun 2014 at 6:06pm
Hello all

So ive been demoing some Cusat cables for my CD player and in the middle of doing this decide to lift my sub off the floor on some bricks to see if it would tighten the bass up.  No sooner having done this I clipped one of the front bricks with my foot enough to knock it out and the sub to fall.  The sub doesnt recieve any signal from the AVR now and I feel like a clumsy idiot.

What Ive tried so far:  

Ive tried cables that I know have no problems and still no output.  

The speaker settings for the AVR were working before hand but I have tried different settings to look at all options such as PLUS and YES for subwoofer option and main speakers set to small with crossover at 200, nothing!  

I have tested the sub LFE input direct from the CD analoge output and it works fine. Ive also tested the AVR front left preout to the LFE input on the sub and that works fine.  Ive also tested the AVR sub preout to the line in on the sub and no signal.  So I think I can safely rule out that the problem is with the sub.

I think the problem lies directly with damage to the sub RCA preout.  The AVR is completely out of its warranty so its either a DIY fix or a send off to get repaired.  

Now before I go opening my amp up Im just looking for a bit of advice first, options lets say.

Ive thought of so far:

Opening it up - Resoldering the joints of the sub RCA, replacing the RCA output or both of these.  
Send the AVR off to get repaired - expensive considering its weight.
Try and speak to Pioneer to see if there is a servicable part that I can buy, I dont know if I can buy a preout board that can be just replaced and cutting down the cost that way.

Im trying to look for a serviceable/schematic manual for the amp before opening it up.

As my experience so far of this forum is that you lot seem to know what you talking about
please please please dont hold back with any words of wisdom.  The last thing I want to do is break the whole AVR.  Does anyone know of a more dedicatd Pioneer AVR forum that I can also post on? Theres an owners thread at AV forums so might try that as well

AVR is a Pioneer SC-LX83

Thanks Darren

EDIT: Just noticed I posted in the wrong section, if a Mod could move it to the right one that would be great.  Too many tabs open at once

Edited by UKMach - 01 Jun 2014 at 6:20pm
Pioneer AVR SC-LX83, 2x GSP Proprius Mono blocks, Arcam FMJ CD37
Monitor Audio GX100 GXC150 GXFX GXW15
Kimber kable 8TC fronts Audioquest Flx 14/4 rears
DIY rockwool acoustic panel treatment
Dave Friday View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dave Friday Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2014 at 8:38pm
Have you run through the user manual...easy things first.
Is the sub output set to timer or off [look in the menu ]
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2014 at 8:48pm
Hi Darren,
I see Dave's comments, sounds sensible to check those first.
The groups of phonos are usually a quite robust plastic moulding with cast in "wires". Can you actually see any physical damage? If you're confident enough then a look inside might reveal whether you can actually get to the innards to see. Some judicious work with small scredrivers etc might allow things to be bent straight.
But please remember to disconnect from the mains supply first!!
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
UKMach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UKMach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jun 2014 at 10:24pm
Thanks all for the quick replies

Here is a photo of the back of the sub as it has always been connected:

Im going to have a good look over the manual, it would be foolish not to cover all simple aspects.  The only thing that concerns me is that no settings on the amp was changed before the sub fell and after it but yet no signal is getting through on just that one RCA preout.  However there are options with this amp that I am still discovering even after about 3 years of owning it so who knows.  Also might have a look at the sub manual, see if there isnt anything in the there im missing. 

If that doesnt come up with anything then Im going to open the amp up.  The phono doesnt feel loose, it doesnt look damaged at the back of it.  There must be something im missing.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2014 at 8:09pm
Irritating and disappointing for you Darren. Please post a picture of the sub out socket on the AVR.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
UKMach View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote UKMach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jun 2014 at 11:41pm

Tell me about it Jon, been a real annoyance which Im thinking is going to be a costly mistake. 
I went through both sub and AVR manuals today looking for anything that I may have overlooked and I cannot see anything.  There was even a helpful information section at the back outlining what to do if you have no signal going to the sub/speakers etc.  No luck, so I decided to open the amp up and take a look inside.  This is what I was meet with:

Now Im experienced with working in computers/laptops but the white sockets connecting the vertical boards have me a little concerned.  There are some obivous indents which would need to be pushed in to possibly release these so that I can remove the top section. However Im too risk adverse to put too much pressure on them to find out if this would work.  The other option is to completely remove all connecting screws and see if it would lift out as one unit but Ive scrapped all of this and Im going to look for a local Pioneer Service Centre and just suck the price up for the repair. 
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jun 2014 at 8:04am
Hmmm, looks rather daunting. I think I'd be inclined to agree with your conclusion. Even if you try yourself, ther's a real danger of having to get even more repaired.
How things change. Is it a computer or an amplifier?
Some of us might remember the quote "An ideal amplifier would be a wire with gain" from Peter Walker, I think, the Quad founder. Even he couldn't quite manage to make amplifiers that simple, but at least you could see and replace all the bits!
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic