FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Bitzie DAC compatibility grows

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bitzie DAC compatibility grows
    Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 1:41pm
Bitzie update:

It's over a year since the launch of the Apple M1 chip, and surprisingly, I've never had anybody enquire if the Bitzie is compatible. Perhaps Bitzie users simply take it on faith? But in case anybody wants to know...

"Apple refreshed the 13-inch MacBook Pro in November 2020, adding an Apple-designed "M1" Arm-based chip to replace the prior Intel chips." (https://www.macrumors.com/roundup/macbook-pro-13/)

The news from Leo:

"Just testing some Bitzies I've been building this morning with MacBook Pro using M1 chip, wasn't sure if they'd work with apples silicon (they used to use intel which works ok). Had to get a USBC connector but works absolutely fine. No drivers required."

Edited by Graham Slee - 04 Mar 2022 at 1:50pm
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 3:18pm
I will have to try connecting my Majestic to my Raspberry Pi 3B+.

Intel is x86-based so is CISC architecture.
Apple M1 (ARM-based) is RISC architecture.
RPi (ARM-based SBC) and most smartphones are RISC architecture.

If the USB connection is OTG-compatible, I assume it will work with pretty much any OS.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 4:57pm
It's great to hear a product with no compatibility issues. There are so much computer stuff that won't work with one another it can be hard to make up your mind on what to get, this is part of the reason I don't do computer audio, the other is I can't be bothered and I haven't the time & when it comes to music I JUST wont to relax and listen.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 5:07pm
Well, all I can say is it kept up with 8 years of changes so far.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2022 at 7:27pm
I remember trying a couple of budget-end smartphones with the Bitzie several years ago. One of them was a work colleague's and I took a Bitzie into my workplace to connect to it. Wasn't recognised because the S3-mini didn't seem to support OTG. I tried with a Samsung Note (3?) and it was recognised straight away so would have worked. I don't have a USB-C OTG cable to try my LG V30+ with the Majestic DAC but I could get one as it would be useful to be able to connect USB-A devices to the USB-C port on my motherboard. Your "driverless" approach to USB audio seems to allow compatibility with more than one type of computer architecture. Maybe I should try hooking it up to a Playstation 3, not sure what ISA it uses.
Jonathan View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jonathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2022 at 9:47am
Hello everyone,

For those still wondering if the Bitzie is a good companion to the new Apple M1 products : it’s brilliant !

I use it on my MacBook Air and I must say that the quality of the usb bus power on this machine - which has no fan - is really good.

I come from PC machines and I used to always have something to power the Bitzie externally because of really bad USB-bus power quality on my previous laptops.

With the MBA, I can simply plug and play the Bitzie : it’s really a no brainer. (Of course, I left it « always-on » whenever I’m not travelling.)

The driverless design really is a competitive advantage over time. I mean that. I’m going to sell some audio stuff (D/D and D/A converters) because, well, it doesn’t work with new M1 products and companies have no interest in updating the drivers…

So, after having a Solo SRGii, a Bitzie, a Novo (for my gf) and a SE2, I’m finally buying a Majestic and a pair of Proprius next month (yeahhhh !) knowing that I will have zero trouble using the Majestic in 10 or 20 years from now. Thank you Graham !

Edited by Jonathan - 28 May 2022 at 9:48am
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 May 2022 at 10:31am
Does anyone know why others use driver software for products like this? I can remember buying stuff that came with a disk or having to download software, In fact I may still have some discs some where. As write this post I remembered that my CD/DVD writer came with one, I didn't need it, but that may have been because it's the same make as my laptop.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic