FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Birthday Present for me

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Bags View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bags Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 7:57pm
If you like the proprius amps then that's seems a good bet.

Having used MCs in the past I've gone back to MM.  I don't doubt some of the top MCs are awesome but in my experience a top modern MM/MI fed into an Accession is as good as all but the top end MCs. Graham has explained on the forum why MC stages are so challenging and that would reflect my experience.  On some recordings I'd think wow, whereas on others I'd be much less impressed.  In comparison my current MM/Accession combo is consistently excellent.

Don't let me dissuade you from your MC dream if your turntable and tonearm are top spec, but expect to be wowed some of the time and underwhelmed some of the time if that's what you decide on.

On the other hand the proprius will improve every track you play.

Enjoy whatever you decide to go for.

discrete badger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote discrete badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Mar 2021 at 8:16pm
Well it's an often-quoted claim that the electromechanical transducers (including the stylus) have the most difficult job in any audio system, and are hence the hardest to get right. But they're no use without an amp.....

I always find it bemusing when people ask I have amp X, what's a good pair of speakers/headphones to pair with it? To my way of thinking, the first and most important match is the speaker to the room, or the headphones to the ears. Then, an amplifier is needed that can drive them properly. Some speakers and headphones are more difficult to drive than others. Harbeths at one end of the scale, some panel speakers at the other. 

Laptop headphone socket direct? Not for my ears, sorry, even with cheap cans. But decouple it with a Voyager/Solo to provide the milliamps and it's actually quite good. 

Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 6:32am
I wasn't 100% serious about a laptop headphone socket; I was using it as an example. Onboard motherboard audio quality and voltage swing can actually be pretty good nowadays and has been potentially good for a few years. It used to be terrible in both power and resolution. Connecting any headphone to the dreadful noisy amplification of some older computers (even some newer poorly designed ones) is completely incompatible with enjoying music.

I'd sooner connect a HD540II (MySphere 3.1 even, although not on a budget) to my gaming motherboard line out than use something like a HD650 through my external DAC and amplification. The difference is that significant for me. The electromechanical transducer has its base qualities to start and the power availability and signal purity of the electronics build on those base characteristics. Although some electronics will skew these characteristics, hence why I originally avoided audiophile gear. Some of my past headphone comparisons were straight out of computer onboard audio with varying types and complexities of music, to slowly judge the base characteristic of each headphone so I could carry the experience forward and judge what external equipment improved. It was a steady process of judging what was right and what was wrong with the sound. Stark differences in frequency emphasis, tonality and openness could be heard with simple video game chiptune music, as an example.
We do not see things as they are. We see things as we are.
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2021 at 6:52am
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8GjbkRCweNk

Some will laugh but some will understand. What others think is of little consequence. The individual is the most important judge of their playback system.
300BGB View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 300BGB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 5:19pm

Many thanks to everyone who replied Thumbs Up

My mind was front end or middle, or cartridge upgrade or amp upgrade. 

I found the http://www.lowbeats.de/ site that has a wide selection of cartridges tested using the same track, including the AT-VM540ML (although mine is modified) that I currently use.  My conclusion was that I would need £$Big to make an appreciable upgrade (sound better not just different).

Originally posted by Bags Bags wrote:

If you like the proprius amps then that's seems a good bet.

Having used MCs in the past I've gone back to MM.  I don't doubt some of the top MCs are awesome but in my experience a top modern MM/MI fed into an Accession is as good as all but the top end MCs. 
On the other hand the proprius will improve every track you play.

Enjoy whatever you decide to go for.

I think Bags hit the nail...thank you Beer,  so goodbye Accession MC, and hello Proprius Clap

Many Thanks,
Brian

Edited by 300BGB - 30 Mar 2021 at 5:20pm
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 6:51pm
Accession MC is vinyl only.

Proprius can be used to drive speakers (and some headphones) from any source type.

Sensible choice.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Mar 2021 at 7:29pm
I too think you have made the best choice, this MC thing is good and can be very very good but I have also heard a lot say it is a different kind of sound and some just prefer MM.
Sticking with what you know can be the better choice as they say-- better the devil you know.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic