FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Big DAC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 85>
Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2013 at 6:34pm
Hi Graham,
Would building a CD player be impractical?
Main reason for asking is because my CD transport has only L/R dual mono AES/EBU
& no SPDIF or optical o/ps & can only be used with it's matching DAC!

More seriously though I agree that sound quality should be the top priority over
features such as switchable filters etc etc. It would of course have to have USB
input & 96/24 capability as certainly any new DAC without them is a complete
non-starter & doomed to commercial failure.

Personally computer audio isn't of interest yet but getting the max out of CD still is.
A player/DAC with a sound capable of giving people like dCS, MBL etc. something to
think about at a price less than a banker's bonus!Disapprove
Cheers

RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2013 at 6:41pm
Sorry I've just realised this thread is in the computer audio section so ignore my last
post!!
Gary View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2013 at 7:03pm
My ideal DAC would do the standard 44.1/16 up to 96/24 (I have no HD files, for some reason the music I like is still at CD quality). For inputs at minimum 1 x coax, 1 x optical and 1x USB. Output RCA. Ideal sound quality would be highly musically accurate rather than clinically accurate.
I currently have a Rega DAC after listening to Audiolab M-DAC and MF M1 DAC. I had a listen to a Arcam cd player used as a transport with an expensive Naim DAC when I went to listen to a Solo ULDE at a dealer (got the Solo and a pair of HD700), to my ears the Arcam and Naim didn't come anywhere near justifying their price whereas the Solo did so a Graham Slee DAC should be very interesting.
jamescodway View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamescodway Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2013 at 9:07pm
I'd really hope people are more interested in how it sounds than the numbers...

Personally, I'm interested in a sensible range of input/output options whilst observing that optical really is a bit rubbish sounding compared to coax or usb with a decent cable.

Given your allusion to the next step in headphone sound and the brilliant nature of your upgradeable Solo, I'd really like some sort of modular approach with the Big DAC/phono pre-amps/HP amp etc. with either combined or seperate power supplies as makes most technical/practical sense.

Finally, if possible, I do find the 'always on' requirement for best sound a little but frustrating as I do like to move my gear around from time to time. I'm not sure how the Bitzie will respond to the practicalities of computers not being on the whole time...

In any event, very much looking forward to reading more as your plans firm up. I am saving up for a Bitzie, esp. after it came in as your recommendation for HD800 Smile.

Best

James
Voyager - HD25
Paulreso1 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paulreso1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2013 at 9:50pm
I currently have 3 DACs of various vintages. I have a Meridian 203( with a Meridian 200 transport) a DAC in the AstinTrew 3500+ CD player and a Benchmark HDR DAC1. I currently play computer music through Audirvana/iTunes into a first generation Apogee Duet and into active Genelec speakers. I am looking for a DAC which will replace the Apogee Duet and the Meridian 203. So I need USB ( asynchronous I think) and coax/ optical inputs. I also want a DAC with a really good quality analogue preamp, as I want to feed the DAC straight into my Active speakers. I absolutely need a high quality headphone output. Basically I need a DAC/pre/headphone amp that will make the best of high resolution downloads AND my large CD collection. ( a phono stage too would be the icing on the cake).   Options for me just now include Burson Conductor, Wadia 121, or maybe new Nain v-DAC. So if Graham had an option in this category, it would be of high interest to me, regards, Paul
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2013 at 9:55pm
Some of us already answered this same question in a previous thread, so I'm not sure whether this repetition is needed or not, but in case it is. ......
..... Inputs: 2 x optical, 2 x coaxial (not either/or so four in total). I have no interest in USB. I would like Ethernet input, but if I understand things correctly that would mean it's a streamer with built in computer rather than a DAC. May a Big DAC based streamer should be produced later (subject to John and Leo's research findings).

Headphones are of no interest to me.

I'm still completely confused about bits and sample rates, but if hi-res files can sound better than CD quality than the Big DAC needs to accommodate them. I still don't understand why upsampling is a good thing. How can something be sampled at a higher rate to the original?
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2013 at 10:01pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Originally posted by TIM TIM wrote:

My requirements for a DAC would be very simple indeed - something to sit between my aged but dearly loved early 90's cd player and amp that would make it sound even better. It could look as ugly as a toad, in fact you could house it in a crisp packet and I wouldn't care, it would be priced to reflect the quality of whatever goes inside so that's your call really. How about a DIY high quality DAC kit Graham, is that even possible, something like the Genera phono amp but more digitally? Smile

If you can do this I suppose a kit would be OK

I have worked on SMD but it takes a magnifying glass and a very steady hand. The unit worked fine after the changes I made but I am happy to leave it to the professionals next time!

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 85>
  Share Topic