FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Bella from the Cellar

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
poppyhb View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote poppyhb Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bella from the Cellar
    Posted: 22 Mar 2021 at 2:05pm
I'm 65 tomorrow and a year or so back started to retrieve my 1,200 or so LPs from the cellar where they've languished unplayed for decades. 

What a treat! Old favourites restored on my new Project vacuum cleaner, many performance re-appraised, even some LPs I didn't realise I even had.

Old favourites include the Rachmaninov concertos on Decca with Previn and Ashkenazy, multiple versions of Satie's Parade (Entremont on CBS still my favourite), lots of String quartets and piano trios, leading to a big re-appraisal of the Suk trio and their Beethoven/Brahms/Faure/Schubert. Not highly rated when I started out in the 70s, but I'm now impressed by the total integrity and authenticity they display along with great playing and more than serviceable recordings. I've bought more LPs and given a friend the CD set of the Beethoven/Schubert trios. He's of the same mind as me.

Another leg-up, this time to the Silvestri Dvorak 8 and Carnaval overture, originally 1958 but mine is a 70s CfP issue. This sounds way more musical and involving than I'd remembered. Must have been label snobbery in my younger days.

Biggest disappointment so far has been the Rachmaninov 3rd Concerto with Ashkenazy and Ormandy. After playing the other concertos and Paganini Rhapsody in lovely Kingsway Hall recordings, through my new Goldring Eroica LX, I thought it would be OK. But I can't bear it now - it sounds like a pub piano. So I sourced the Previn/Ashkenazy version on vinyl and piece is restored. My ears may be less sharp, but my brain still has some discrimination!

Just under 1,000 LPs to go, I reckon. Am I alone in counting by measuring a sample section of about 100 discs then multiplying up? 

Sorry about the topic title. At least it isn't Bellissima for the Cellissima ...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic