FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Audio Technica AT VM95ML Cartridge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 2:42pm
Originally posted by Lucabeer Lucabeer wrote:

I see no trace of high frequency bump, it seems to have a very natural and gradual roll-off.

Since my 440MLa is approaching 500 hours of use, this 540ML is a serious candidate for its replacement when the time comes.

Just to be clear those measurements were from the VM95ML, not the VM540ML. 

Here are some measurements of the VM540ML:

That site also did some measurements of other AT carts in the same series:

patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 2:44pm
Originally posted by BackinBlack BackinBlack wrote:

That seems an impressive result, particularly the upper end extension to 20k+. I have long been a fan of the AT cartridges, the 440mla in particular.

Ian

I've always like AT cartridges too. The ML styli are very hard to compete with in terms of inner groove tracking, which is something I place a high premium on. 
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 2:54pm
Here are some more measurements, these are from the VM95C ($35 conical cart) using the 1A sweep on the CBS STR100. Audio was taken from an inexpensive USB phono preamp on a different turntable system than the VM95ML measurements up thread, so they aren't really comparable. I think this cartridge is a good choice for a removeable headshell or secondary turntable where you might like to play records in less than great condition. 

I have an inexpensive, though relatively flat measuring USB soundcard on order right now. When it gets here I will re-do the measurements of the VM95C and VM95ML from the REC outs of my integrated amp. They still won't be directly comparable but perhaps a little closer. If I have time I may also try the VM95C stylus on the VM95ML body so I can get them measured on the same turntable system. I have a feeling the soundcard I previously used to measure the 95ML is skewing things somewhat, perhaps showing more roll off than what is there. We'll see. Although I would love to be doing these measurements with more than one test record and a pro-grade rack mount ADC it's just not in the budget right now. 

patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 3:02pm
Originally posted by Lucabeer Lucabeer wrote:

I was tempted by the 740ML as well, but I haven't been able to find ONE review stating the superiority compared to the 540.

Really, to me it seems the same cartridge except for the metal body... and I don't necessarily think it adds any real benefit. For sure, it costs more for probably the same sound quality, and it adds a couple of grams of unwanted weight which would push resonance a bit at the extreme of the acceptable range on my turntable/arm.

If I were deciding between the 540 and 740 I would probably do so based on tonearm effective mass specs. As you say the 740 could be a detriment on some tonearms, though possibly a benefit on others. I would expect overall performance (assuming no resonance issues) to be nearly the same. 
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 6:12pm
Here are some updated graphs of the 95ML. The high frequency roll off I was getting with the 95ML vs. the 95C (two different setups) was puzzling so I wanted to do the graphs over again for the 95ML, this time using a better, though still cheap USB soundcard. Now the FR between the two versions of the cartridges looks a lot more similar. 

Chain is JVC TT>VM95ML>GS Reflex>USB soundcard>Audacity

patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 11:45pm
A bit of an update on the AT VM95ML. I'm starting to experiment with some tests using the Ortofon Test LP. This LP has some tests that my CBS STR100 does not have. 

To start with, I tested crosstalk (stereo separation) between the channels. For this I used the 1k test tones on the LP and then measured in Audacity after applying some noise filters.

The average value I'm getting is 27dB between the two channels. 

So it would appear the cartridge meets or exceeds spec (23dB). Keep in mind you will probably get different results using different test LPs.

The difference in crosstalk between the two channels is around 1dB, give or take. This is with the stock AT headshell that came with the cartridge and no azimuth adjustment whatsoever. 

When I have time I will run some tracking ability tests and report the results.

Edited by patientot - 29 Apr 2019 at 11:46pm
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 9:42pm
Here is a quick rundown of the tracking tests from the Ortofon Test LP on the VM95ML, not a deep analysis. These are all 315hz tones with lateral modulation.

On a basic level, the only band it could not track was the 100um band - the cart flew to the deadwax after a few seconds. That is normal for almost any cart. The 50, 60, and 70um bands played with no audible distortion, just a very pure tone. There was some buzzing at 80um, which is probably the limit for this cartridge. More buzzing at 90um but the stylus was still tracking the groove. 

As points of reference, Miller Audio Research found that a "good" tracker like the old AT 440mla could hit 80um or more in both channels before tapping out. They also found that a "less good" tracker like the Grado Gold 1, tapped out around 45um in one channel and 65um in the other. 

Edited by patientot - 01 May 2019 at 9:43pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic