FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Analog to Digital converter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by kgilroy kgilroy wrote:

Seems like the Sonos would meet your requirements.

I still think that you lose something by digitizing vinyl but that's just me. There are others on the forum with more experience.

IIRC, Sonos just ended support of their previous generation of their products. Seems like a planned obsolescence product from my point of view. Looks like the "Connect" was replaced by the "Port". In another couple years that will likely be replaced again, I'm guessing. 

Agreed that digitizing vinyl in real time sort of defeats the purpose of vinyl listening to begin with. 

Not sure exactly what OP is looking to get out of the "vinyl experience". 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by mooncalf mooncalf wrote:

Originally posted by patientot patientot wrote:

RE: the newer Sumiko cartridges, a German magazine called Lowbeats did extensive testing on the entire range. That might be worth reading (easy to translate via Google translate) if you are interested in those cartridges. 

Good luck. 

ha.. wasn't easy translating them.. very technical though. anybody has real world listening experience of the sumiko oysters?

I know a guy that bought a Sumiko Rainier. He has a bunch of other cartridges too. He said the Rainier sounded like the someone threw a blanket over his speakers. If you look at the graphs from the German mag, which I posted for the Rainier below, you can see why that is the case. There is a ~5dB dip at 10khz, which would be very noticeable to most people with decent hearing. 

Personally I would not buy such a cartridge, but then again I like my cartridges to have a response that is closer to neutral. It might be possible to optimize the response of the Rainier through loading adjustment. I don't think it would be worth the hassle personally though, because the cartridge has mediocre tracking ability. 

Edited by patientot - 02 May 2020 at 5:11pm
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
discrete badger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote discrete badger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 5:06pm
I'm using the PI and Moode to drive my main speaker system, but in my case I have the Allo Digione output board (Coaxial SP/DIF only) not one of the hifiberry boards.

I can't recommend the setup enough. I got it for convenience, but there was an unexpected and huge SQ bump, probably due to the clean and low-jitter SP/DIF of the Allo board.

Now that this exists, I don't understand how anybody would drop ££££s on commercial streamer boxes and pay subscriptions just to have access to their own music files. This little box of joy can be put together for not much more than £100, and the SQ for the money is off the charts.
mooncalf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mooncalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 3:56am

I know a guy that bought a Sumiko Rainier. He has a bunch of other cartridges too. He said the Rainier sounded like the someone threw a blanket over his speakers. If you look at the graphs from the German mag, which I posted for the Rainier below, you can see why that is the case. There is a ~5dB dip at 10khz, which would be very noticeable to most people with decent hearing. 

Personally I would not buy such a cartridge, but then again I like my cartridges to have a response that is closer to neutral. It might be possible to optimize the response of the Rainier through loading adjustment. I don't think it would be worth the hassle personally though, because the cartridge has mediocre tracking ability. 

could you recommend a MM cartridge with the type of neutral response you're referring to?
mooncalf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mooncalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 4:01am

IIRC, Sonos just ended support of their previous generation of their products. Seems like a planned obsolescence product from my point of view. Looks like the "Connect" was replaced by the "Port". In another couple years that will likely be replaced again, I'm guessing. 

Agreed that digitizing vinyl in real time sort of defeats the purpose of vinyl listening to begin with. 

Not sure exactly what OP is looking to get out of the "vinyl experience". 

i've been fed on digital sources and digital output..
(my dad actually had vinyl records and a turntable but i was either too young then or not interested)

so i guess its a matter of exploring an analog source now, without having to get a totally new setup.. seeing what works to convert analog to digital without losing too much...

and perhaps in time to come, i'll be motivated enough to get analog output as well..

just little steps in my listening experience and would appreciate anyone with experience of doing so for constructive advise!
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 9:39am
well Jonathan there is nothing wrong in that
just wish I could help but I,m out of my depth here
only thing I know digital is mainly CD and a bit about digital files (D files. I have trouble with them)
mooncalf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mooncalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 May 2020 at 10:22am
Originally posted by lfc jon lfc jon wrote:

well Jonathan there is nothing wrong in that
just wish I could help but I,m out of my depth here
only thing I know digital is mainly CD and a bit about digital files (D files. I have trouble with them)

2 things we have in common.

YNWA.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
  Share Topic