FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Analog to Digital converter

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
kgilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kgilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 11:25am
Seems like the Sonos would meet your requirements.

I still think that you lose something by digitizing vinyl but that's just me. There are others on the forum with more experience.
Keith

Marantz TT-15S1, Maestro V2, Accession MM, Icon Audio Stereo 40 Mk lll, Wharfedale Jade 3.

Mac Mini, BitPerfect, Dynaudio Xeo2

Marantz SA-15S1, Apple TV, Cambridge CXA60, B&W DM2000, REL Sub
Ernie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by mooncalf mooncalf wrote:

thanks all for your comments..much appreciated.

i did find several Analog to Digital products. and you're right, its just a box with different brand names slapped on them ranging from 30-50 dollars.

i also found that Sonos has a product called the Connect, that does a bit more fancy stuff like streaming and also offers analog in, and optical/coax outputs. that is in the range of 350 dollars.

So my first thought was should i just go for the Sonos (for the branding) or would it not be any different from the run of the mill made in china boxes. and i still end up losing quality.

RE turntables, i am attracted to project TTs philosophy similarly to GS products in that they try to produce quality items for the purpose without going for mass production and raising prices from branding. 

I’ve been using Sonos since about 2008. The new Connect is a real step up with its off board PSU.

If you want something cheap DIY a Raspberry Pi something like a HiFiBerry DAC+ ADC Pro. I use a Digi + Pro to Stream HD music at and it’s very good. A good quality 5Vdc supply would be a good extra.
There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 2:09pm
Like Ernie, I too was thinking of the HiFiBerry DAC+ ADC Pro plus Raspberry pi with MoOde OS. I have also been using the HiFiBerry Digi+ pro for some years feeding my Majestic, an excellent combination and very flexible when used with MoOde, excellent support on the MoOde forum too. A good 5V 3A or more power supply is needed.
It may appear a low cost solution, but sound quality wise it's way above its price point. The combination would still need a phono stage (as would the Sonos?) and we know where to get the best of those. SmileWink
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
Ernie View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ernie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 2:27pm
Just checked out the HiFiBerry site. The ADC only has I2S out so unfortunately it’ll need an SPDIF converter too.

Did find this on CPC Farnell though for £12.

PRO SIGNAL  PSG3027  - 

Analogue to Digital Audio Converter

There are 10 kinds of people. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
mooncalf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mooncalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 2:38pm
so i'm just wondering. technically, how bad could the screw up be if i got a 12 quid converter, and this ends up being the one thing that makes the listening experience bad?

money aside.. would it make any difference if i spent 350 on a sonos connect. if quality sound is what i'm looking for.

Oh.. the speakers are airplay enabled, so i don't really need the streaming options. thanks guys for the hifiberry idea. i googled and noticed that i'll also need a toslink converter

Edited by mooncalf - 02 May 2020 at 2:40pm
mooncalf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mooncalf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by patientot patientot wrote:

RE: the newer Sumiko cartridges, a German magazine called Lowbeats did extensive testing on the entire range. That might be worth reading (easy to translate via Google translate) if you are interested in those cartridges. 

Good luck. 

ha.. wasn't easy translating them.. very technical though. anybody has real world listening experience of the sumiko oysters?
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 May 2020 at 4:52pm
Originally posted by mooncalf mooncalf wrote:

RE turntables, i am attracted to project TTs philosophy similarly to GS products in that they try to produce quality items for the purpose without going for mass production and raising prices from branding. 

The P******t turntables are mass produced on an assembly line and they make a very large number of them. That's not why I take issue them (I don't care for the design), but if you think you are getting a boutique, small company handmade thing with any P******t product, think again. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
  Share Topic