FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Amplifier feet and racks

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>
Author
Wiscos View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Wiscos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 May 2017 at 9:53pm
It does seem a little ridiculous if that fad to stick spikes under speakers to create a solid coupling to the floor is now being replaced by the polar opposite and using isolating techniques.
Both sets of floorstanders I have at home have always been on rubber feet and this seems to work well, so I can stop worrying about why I haven't got spikes now.
I perused a website earlier with various isolators from a well known British smaller manufacturer who's charging between £500 and £2000 for various stands that isolate speakers and other kit. No idea if they work but the price is a joke for a nicely made tray or beam with some rubber feet and a screw thread. Is this, perhaps, adopting Einsteinian rather than Newtonian principles and hence requires a huge price uplift.
Emperor's new clothes - I read it regularly to remind myself...
Much greater believer in room treatment even if it is not allowed by many other halves...
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 10:00am
Hi Richard,
     No, I've not tried them under my speakers yet. I'd need to buy another set. However, im certainly interested!
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 3:38pm
I will be ordering some more of the les Davis discs shortly given from Australia and postage quite high if anyone interested in one or more sets please send me a PM.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2017 at 5:01pm
They are a lot cheaper than the G**a speaker supports that got my interest recently and led me into another one of my DIY tweaks at the end of last month.

I had my GX300 speakers sitting my wooden floor, spikes boing through the carpet effectively nailing the 27kg speakers to my floorboards. That's fine when they are over a floor beam, less so after I moved them wider and slightly back recently. Reading about the G**a's benefits of isolation for better bass and more midrange clarity I worked out a cheapish way to test if they might help me. I ordered so heavy duty gel feet rated at 30kg max per set of four, placing these under the GX300 feet after unscrewing the spikes which have M5 threads on top.

My initial conclusion was that they do make a difference mainly removing bass bloom which makes the deep bass more audible and opened up the midrange. However I found the pads tended to squeeze out from under the GX300's feet unless I got them dead centre. My latest tweak has been to drill small holes and use short M5 threaded bolts with very shallow heads (so they don't make contact with the floor) plus a couple of washers each side, to attach the gel pads to the GX300 feet. So far so good. It is easier to change toe-in now as the gel pads do not fall off. I did notice a change in character of the music after an hour or so which may reflect the gel settling.

This has made me interested in the LDA discs.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2017 at 10:41pm
I ordered some of Les' 'new' stuff designed for speakers - it is a prototype and has double sided sticky on.

Given my speakers are stand mounted (hollow metal stands) and spiked in to the concerte floor with quite extended LF response they were impressive.

Whilst I suspect the differences may be more pronounced on a suspended timber floor, the 'pads' shall we call them had four main impact areas.
1) cleaned up the bass - most noticeable when removing them when the bass was notably slower and less texture without too.
2) vocals better separated - complex vocals stuck together without the pads.
3) whole soundstage lifted away from the speakers with the pads installed.
4) Dynamics and low level detail improved

Very impressed and well recommended in my installation.  

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jul 2017 at 9:53pm

I have finally installed the Les Davis sticky pads under my Accession/Elevator and under the slim granite slab on which they sit on my substantial CD case.  I also placed some of the pads between the glass shelf and the metal frame.  The glass did ring less when the pads were installed, but one the 18KG deck was in place the ring ceased.

I am not proposing to switch backwards and forwards but general impression is of a likely marginal gain/improvement.  Bass a little crisper and lighter but can’t make my mind up on the mid-upper, in some ways maybe less clean on Double Fantasy vocals, maybe they were less obvious as the bass was a tad lighter and cleaner. 

If I ever have my rack apart I will put under the other shelves but am in no hurry.

Suspect the improvement is genuine but pretty small, given the lack of a power supply in the GSP units and they are very light wouldn’t have expected too much of an improvement and quite possible that the gains are more likely to be rack related but that is my fuzzy logic rather than evidenced based.

Pretty much used under all components now.

Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Jul 2017 at 5:04am
My new PMC Twenty5.22 are sitting the dedicated PMC stands. They employ constrained layer damping on the top plate where the speaker sits. I'll try Les Davis gear under them next.
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>
  Share Topic