FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Advice on MM Cartridge Decision

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
Author
IntempestaNocte View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IntempestaNocte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 2:40pm
Hi guys.  Thanks for all the responses, I wasn't expecting so many so soon Smile.  

I have, at one point or another, considered all of the carts suggested so far.  I have read through a lot of forums on this subject Geek.  I looked into the Audio Note as several people have said that it is like the Goldring only better but being unable to get a price got on my nerves pretty quickly so I just gave up.  It may be worth trying to email a supplier.  I found a price for the IQ2 and so I had assumed the IQ1 would be closer to £350 than £300 extrapolating downward.  

At one point I had actually decided to go for a Nagaoka as I had heard great things about them, but the only Fine Line version is the MP-500 which is way over my price range.  Besides which I was scared off by the apparently short predicted lifespan of the stylus.  

I have actually come across recommendations for SAE cartridges before and I was quite interested, but I couldn't find anywhere that sold them - only an endless string of forums where people are saying that they also couldn't find one LOL.  Also, as it is an MC I am worried about maintaining it properly.  Tempted as I am the whole point is rather academic as Thakkar are out of stock, and given that it is NOS I am not expecting that to change any time soon.  Thanks for pointing me in the direction of Thakkar though, best price I have found so far for the Ortofon 2M Bronze (about £235 with P&P)

You make a good case for the Goldring.  A touch of warmth would, hopefully, help to counteract the brightness rather than adding to it.  Not that I think it needs counteracting but as long as we remain close to neutral it's all good.  Quality treble and mids are always good when dealing with vocals.  Analysis is something I forgot to mention.  It is another thing I seem to like at higher levels than most and another characteristic of my set up.  Analytical is all good to me, buying hifi (for me at least) is all about hearing more detail in the music.  The best price I have seen on the Goldring is £280, but if I was willing to take a risk used ones seem to go through eBay pretty regularly for about the £100 mark (which looks like an absolute steal).  The AT on the other hand I have seen for £215 new, or I found a used one (boxed, about 50hrs use) for £165 - so aside from the used Goldring this is the pound saving option.  I don't really want to go above £300 if I can help it, as I said that's the annual budget all gone Unhappy so any more and corners will have to be cut elsewhere.
Scott

AT150MLX > Audiomods Series V Standard > Rega RP6 > Accession MM > Marantz PM6005 > KEF Q100 / Solo UL > HD540II.
Voyager, Bitzie, AgSat90.
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 2:47pm
If you want to pursue the IQ1 option, this supplier is usually very helpful:
http://www.bd-audio.co.uk/contact/

Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 2:59pm
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IntempestaNocte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 7:25pm
I contacted BD Audio and got a really quick reply.  It seems the IQ1 is in my price range.  But I am not sure if it represents an upgrade on the Goldring.  Both manufacturers websites are sparse on detail, all I can say for sure is that the IQ1 features a Geiger II stylus (the same one as the Goldring 1012GX) rather than the Geiger S stylus featured on the 1042.  I have absolutely no idea what that means! I know that an F Geiger cut is an exotic type of fine line diamond but beyond that... The IQ boasts four nines wiring and stiff suspension but Goldring don't mention either so they could offer the same as far as I know.  Anybody know which is meant to be better?

I am rather tempted by the SAE but I am pretty set on getting a fine line stylus and it doesn't look like I can get the 1000lt.  They are meant to sound better on older records, reduce record wear, and last nearly twice as long as elliptical styli.  Sounds like a win win situation to me Big smile But then again maybe I am falling for the hype.  Is it really that big a deal?  What concerns me most, however, is that I may love the sound of it and in a few years time when it wears out I won't be able to get another one.  Looking round the web it does seem to be getting rave reviews, some even saying it beats carts in the $700-900 range.  I even found a video on Youtube with an SAE1000e playing through a Graham Slee Reflex no less.  The guys' stylus was disgracefully dusty but it sounded pretty good.  His name was Bob Wood... anybody know him? Tongue  
Scott

AT150MLX > Audiomods Series V Standard > Rega RP6 > Accession MM > Marantz PM6005 > KEF Q100 / Solo UL > HD540II.
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 7:41pm
What's a bit of dust between friends? LOL

This was my first effort at a TT video. The DAC's been moved to a different system, and the pre-amp sold, both having been replaced by a Majestic. The Reflex M's going nowhere!

Edited by morris_minor - 05 Apr 2016 at 7:48pm
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote IntempestaNocte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2016 at 8:30pm
Pretty impressive for a first attempt, really shows the cart off well.  A lot of the videos I see on youtube are just some guy freehand pointing a fuzzy old camcorder at his deck in a dark room recording the sound from his speakers.  How are you meant to tell anything from that?  I found a good video someone posted of an Ortofon 2M Bronze playing Barbara Streisand.  He had a pretty impressive looking tonearm.  It sounded amazing but all that really proves is that this particular Ortofon owner has a really nice setup, can't tell how much of that is down to the cartridge.  There are a couple of 2M Bronze vs. AT-150MLX videos on there.  Not much between them from what I can tell.  The AT seems to be sharper and more forward while the Ortofon is smoother and more laid back... but then everybody tells me that anyway.  In terms of detail I wouldn't like to call it either way.  No decent Goldring videos though. Unhappy
Scott

Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2016 at 3:16am
Hi Scott, I have just caught up with this thread as I am overseas at the moment but I could help you try out one of the cartridges you are considering, if that helps.

I am a MM user because my Rega based turntables have one piece arms/heads... ease of changing stylus without re-aligning & the fact that when a stylus is worn out, I can replace it myself & don't have to send away for re-tipping.

I have an Audiomods V arm & have previously used a 2M Black, an AT150ANV & an AT150MLX on this when it was mounted on an RP6 - all three sounded superb, with the ATs' tracking slightly better than the Ortofon but all were near faultless. I now use an Audio Note IQ3 which seems a match made in heaven to the Audiomods V, maybe because of its Goldring 1042 lineage and the fact that Jeff Spall did much of the development of the arm with this cartridge (...if I was in your situation by the way, I would purchase an IQ1 and upgrade later with a 2 or 3 stylus).

Notwithstanding that, as you are not too far away from Chester where I live, you are welcome to come over and borrow my AT150MLX (about 80 hours use) and see if you like it (£150 if you decided to keep it). Please PM me if you are interested but note that I will not be back in the UK until Friday afternoon.
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>
  Share Topic