FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Advice for Solo amp?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
RoyP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Advice for Solo amp?
    Posted: 10 Nov 2009 at 8:20pm
Please excuse my non-tech brain, but please can I ask for some advice?:

(I am disabled and have to lay flat on my bed in the bedroom, so I rely on my Classic 160GB to listen to music.).

I bought the Solo/PSU1 last week, from the GS website, in preparation for the arrival of a pair of Sennheiser HD800s and a Wadia 170i iPod Dock from a different on-line source.

However, when I rang to check on delivery this morning, I asked about the connection from the Wadia to the Solo amp:
- Digital Output: 1 S/PDIF Coax (RCA)
- Analog Outputs: 1 pair of Unbalanced (RCA)

As you know the Solo has two analogue inputs so the 'Digital Output' won't be any use (or will it?). And surely taking the analogue output defeats the object of using the Wadia?

The advice I was given was to buy yet another unit, a DAC.

Wadia has a complementary unit, the 151PowerDAC (including amp), so I ordered that. But, looking at the 'Outputs' there is no headphone socket! This means there will be three separate units from the iPod to the headphones.

It is becoming very complicated. All I want to do is use the convenience of the iPod (bypassing its internal hardware) and the quality of the HD800s.

With the above info, can you suggest a simpler solution? (I have already paid for the HD800s, Solo, and Wadia dock).

TIA.

Roy P
mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2009 at 11:59pm
Hi Roy and congratulations on the complications you are experiencing! I mean this in a fun and respectful manner since audiophilia although fun can be very complicated. Smile Now, to find a good solution a lot will depend on both budget and convenience.

The Wadia i170 is a nice way of getting the files (hopefully you are using Apple Lossless) via digital out to a DAC. From this DAC you feed the signal to an amp (Solo SRGII with the PSU1) and to your favorite headphones. A nice DAC which will not break the bank could be the PS Audio unit, this can be enhanced (meaning lots of money) via the Cullen Stage 3 or 4 mods bringing the cost of the original $600 USD PS Audio DAC to over $1,600 USD. Of course you could buy an used fully modded unit in Audiogon for a tad under $1,000 USD.

Another option would be to use your Apple computer as a music server, which first must be loaded with your music in Apple Lossless format to optimize the listening experience. You then feed your DAC via the optical out of the Apple computer and then your amp is fed via RCA to RCA from the DAC. However an elegant option would be to have the music sent from the Apple computer via a local wireless network to an Apple Airport Express unit. You would then feed the optical out of the Airport Express to your DAC (sitting on your night stand) whicn in turn would feed your Solo SRGII via RCA to RCA interconnects. You would then use your favorite headphone out of the Solo SRGII. Now for the beautiful part ... you would use your iPhone to wirelessly control the Aplle computer using iTunes to feed what ever song you have in your music library.
Miguel
RoyP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2009 at 2:06pm
Many thanks for your comprehensive response, Miguel. Is this:

http://www.psaudio.com/ps/products/detail/digital-link-3-dac

the unit you mention in your post?

Yes, I did consider the 'elegant' solution you describe above, but, again, it requires a lot of setting up from my Mac downstairs. If I hadn't have already purchased the Wadia 170i I'd have jumped right in, and looked into it further.

Last week when I was advised to get a DAC I had to Google the word because I didn't know what it meant -- that's how woefully ignorant I am! However, I'm slowly learning more and more, but the problem with that is ignorance is bliss in my case :) I'm now getting drawn in to your bloody expensive world!!

Roy P
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2009 at 9:20pm
Originally posted by RoyP RoyP wrote:

I'm now getting drawn in to your bloody expensive world!!

Bad Thumbs%20Down

I haven't been following this thread, but am I correct in thinking you bought a Solo and some kind of player that only has digital out?

The Solo is analogue as you've found - no digital in.

To get analog from digital as you've also found, requires a digital to analogue converter (DAC).

Seeing analogue came first (God introduced it and Eddison developed it) I see it as arrogant and disrespectful to only provide a digital output and not indicate that fact to the unsuspecting customer.

I feel that Graham Slee Projects Ltd will cease to exist when the last to remember good old analogue departs this life.Stern%20Smile

Edited by Graham Slee - 11 Nov 2009 at 9:21pm
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
ServerBaboon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ServerBaboon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Nov 2009 at 11:51am
The Cambridge Audio DacMagic available at Richer Sounds gets some good reviews and is cheaper than the PS Dac and even cheaper still is the Music Fidelity VDAC (Internet price) at SuperFi.

Edited by ServerBaboon - 12 Nov 2009 at 11:56am
mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 1:14am
Hi Roy, that is the dac I mentioned. But you can buy it used for much less. As an example see: http://www.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/cls.pl?dgtlconv&1263164010&/PS-Audio-Digital-Link-3-in-vgc
As mentioned by ServerBaboon the CA DacMagic is getting nice reviews.
Miguel
RoyP View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoyP Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Nov 2009 at 2:52pm
Again, many thanks for the replies!

The headphones and Wadia dock arrived yesterday. Yes, Graham, I was told the Wadia had only a Digital out, but it *does* have a Analogue out. Misinformation!

Anyway, I connected everything up -- Wadia to Solo to HD800s, but now I have another unforeseen problem: the Solo seems not to be powerful enough to drive the headphones. I have to turn up the Solo's volume to Max to get a reasonable sound, but not enough for my listening prefs!

Certainly, when I plug the headphones into my Yamaha DSP AX750 downstairs even at half volume it's too loud, so there's nothing wrong with the headphones.

Now, the question is, will a DAC make the above situation any better?

Roy P

PS. Should I move this conversation to another forum thread?

Edited by RoyP - 13 Nov 2009 at 2:56pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic