FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Adding a DAC

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
msphil View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote msphil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2016 at 12:25pm
What Bob didn't say is that the Majestic DAC is one of the best sounding DAC's on the market. They are so good that I got 2, one for my headphones system in the bedroom, and one for the speaker system in the lounge. They make an incredible difference to the sound! Borrow one to try before buying anything else! You won't be disappointed!
'You are, through your soul not your body, a human being.'
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2016 at 12:32pm
+1 Thumbs Up
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2016 at 1:15pm
I'm in agreement. Differences between digital replay through the Majestic (MacBook/JRiver) and analogue (RP8/2M Bronze and Black/Reflex M) are mostly about mastering. Having the flexibility of the Majestic as DAC and preamp has been terrific. For example, I prefer the LP of Blue Trane over the 24/192 digital, but the 24/96 Kubelik Mahler remaster trounces my original LP box set in most ways.

Yes, when masterings are on a par I definitely prefer LP, but the Majestic is the only DAC I've used at home that closes the gap to the point of it not really mattering. Considering the price of the Majestic vs RP8/Reflex M, well, it's a bargain.
Mick.
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
Fuzzy View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fuzzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2016 at 2:37pm
Very enlightening. Thanks. Still, I have doubts about my setup not being high-end enough to make purchase of a Majestic worth my while. But I could be wrong. Also, since Stereolab.no will be discontinuing as a dealer for GSPaudio, I won't be able to try one on loan. I think I would not want to buy some other DAC without ever having tested a Majestic.

Edited by Fuzzy - 11 Jun 2016 at 2:38pm
Jan

Majestic DAC
Proprius
Gram Amp 2 SE
Solo SRGII
Solo ULDE
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2016 at 2:46pm
I am neither in need of DAC or have majestic but if you can afford a majestic, try one on loan and it suits your needs faciities and sound cannot see whatever perceived quality of the rest of your gear is.

You could later build anything else around it.
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jun 2016 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by Fuzzy Fuzzy wrote:

Very enlightening. Thanks. Still, I have doubts about my setup not being high-end enough to make purchase of a Majestic worth my while. But I could be wrong. Also, since Stereolab.no will be discontinuing as a dealer for GSPaudio, I won't be able to try one on loan. I think I would not want to buy some other DAC without ever having tested a Majestic.
Jan - you could borrow a Majestic from this forum's loan scheme. Drop a PM to Suggs (aka Derek) who looks after loans to Western Europe if you'd like to do this. The only cost is the shipping both ways, and no obligation to buy . . .
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
Fuzzy View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fuzzy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2016 at 11:30pm
Well, just thought, why not invest in (the future of) my music enjoyment and buy a Majestic DAC. And so I did. I have been listening to it via a connected Solo SRGII and Grado SR325e headphones. Listening - at the moment, out of necessity because not at home for a few weeks - via iPod, connected to the Majestic via 3.5 to 2RCA interconnect (not of Graham Slee build). The experience has been an interesting one until now. It is complicated. At least, I find it so. Maybe more of a search and an adventure. A quest for the most beautiful, 'living' sound. It is obviously a matter of the right kind of equipment connected with the right kind of cables, using the right kind of sources and headphones. When I am home again in a few weeks, I'll connect the Majestic to my BDP/CDP and - via lautus USB - to a laptop or other USB source. Maybe going to connect the Gram Amp 2 SE to the Majestic and hear what that might bring. Maybe a possibility to just connect the Majestic to my AVR (if it is at all possible to circumvent the AVR's DAC?)

Edited by Fuzzy - 21 Jun 2016 at 11:35pm
Jan

Majestic DAC
Proprius
Gram Amp 2 SE
Solo SRGII
Solo ULDE
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic