FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Accession MC - a quick review

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
shashirao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shashirao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2018 at 4:51pm
Ok...I have to break out into elven speak now:

"Eat little at a time, and only at need. For these things are given to serve you when all else fails. The cakes will keep sweet for many many days, if they are unbroken and left in their leaf-wrappings, as we have brought them. One will keep a traveler on his feet for a day of long labour, even if he be one of the tall men of Minas Tirith."
—The Fellowship of the Ring, "Farewell to Lorien"

For me the Graham Slee products are like Lembas - the one thing I will save and savor till the trip to Valinor. A little is enough to nourish the mind that craves music...plus they are easy to carry Wink 

Interestingly the foray into moving magnet cartridges turned into an "and" affair. I was expecting an either "or" with my MC carts. Its just that given the dynamics of vinyl playback - both mechanical and electronic, one identifies several combination that work the best for a given musical performance.

I am glad that the days of worrying about hiss, clicks, hum and all that avoidable noise are long past gone. What remains now are the playback differences that make certain recordings enjoyable and more detailed in an MC or MM setup. 

The Accession MC now poses a delightful journey for me - comparison with the Revelation C and identify what they excel in. I am also keen on playing those recordings which the MC cartridge played with extra brightness/shril/sharp sound.

Meanwhile let the Uruk Hai factory hammer away the last ounce of crap out of those circuits...I envision an array of portable audio equipment accompanying as we pen our individual There and Back Again's Smile
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2018 at 6:12pm
I am waiting for somebody to whisper the phrase "Accession twin", which could throw a spanner in the works. It has been long planned but dependant on the successful outcome of the MC. That having been achieved, the "twin" can (theoretically) proceed. I say theoretically because it obviously depends on my wellbeing - my ability to do it. Should you wait? I suppose that might depend on perceived cost. Could the "twin" represent a saving compared to owning both? Maybe not, as the "twin" is both MM and MC in the one box (with options for 2xMM or 2xMC as some have expressed a want for), but the box must be larger to accomodate both. But then again, could the twin go even further in some things? I have been asked to lift the output to be able to drive 'lazy' valve amps. All I can say is I will try.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2018 at 8:12pm
The one preamp to rule them all and to the music bind them? My apologies to JRR and anyone reading this.

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
shashirao View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote shashirao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jun 2018 at 1:05am
The twin idea is certainly intriguing. But my problem is the cartridge. It takes quite some effort to change cartridges, align and get it all humming nicely all over again. And thus my preference is the current path - an Accession MM for my best MM cartridge, and an Accession MC for my best MC cartridge. And thus it is easier to compare and enjoy. Of course doubling on the turntable may become an expensive venture.

I would consider the twin only if it promises a different aural experience.
Cheers
Shashi
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2018 at 9:45pm
Perhaps sadly I'm quite excited about the arrival tomorrow of my Accession MC. I may give it a couple of days burning in before listening, enjoying the EXP and AccMM combo for a while longer...

Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 6:07pm
It has been unpacked and connected to a PSU1. Will I be able to resist the temptation, and if so how long for?

Jon

Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2018 at 9:28pm
I wasn't and so I am now enjoying the Accession MC work its wonders on a 'classics for pleasure' LP of Handel's Water Music. Great stuff!

Jon

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic