FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Accession M

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 9:41am
Originally posted by Pushpaw Pushpaw wrote:

You have my interest! What's your preference - MM or MC? I've actually never heard an MC setup before. Is it a big upgrade?
Ah- the MM v. MC debate! 

In my opinion, MC can offer greater detail - especially as you go up in price. Stratospherically priced cartridges are always MCs. Whether that's because the maker would never get away with charging crazy prices for a MM, or because they're crafted by artisans meditating on the slopes of Mount Fuji who only produce one a month I'm not sure. 

In reality - for a real world system that's anywhere near affordable, MM plus an Accession can produce remarkable results. The Accession MC lends its unique technology to the low output brigade, enabling a good MC to sparkle its fairy dust while remaining eminently musical.

That's not really an answer to your question is it? LOL

So here goes - yes MCs CAN be a big upgrade over MMs if your system and bank balance can take it.

I see you have G1042. I used to have one that I used with an Era Gold V, and it produced lovely music; an Accession MM will only raise the SQ bar further and you'd have to have deep pockets to improve on it!
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Dec 2020 at 4:13pm
Hi Bob
Is it true that you have to spend a good sum on a MC cart to get vary good sound quality as I was on this forum with someone from the USA (I think or it could have been Canada ) and he said that from his experience he had never heard a good budget MC he was talking well over $1000 I'm not sure what that is in Pounds but lets say around £1000 now that is a lot of money to me and something that is well out of my budget, It's just that you can get budget phono amps and amps with both and it seems to me that if you have to spend big then the MC part is a waste of time, if you know what I mean? I'm just curious that's all
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 1:17am
Thank goodness for Hana low output cartridges! They seem to be producing excellent value for money sub-$1,000 carts that are universally liked and praised. Now I must say I’ve never heard one myself, but when my current Apheta 2 expires, I will seriously consider a Hana low output model to pair with my Accession MC. There are a few on this forum with Hana experience, so perhaps a comment or two might follow. 
Mick 
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
Pushpaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 3:18am
Thanks for the response. Yes the 1042 with Accession is a very satisfying combination. 

I guess I will wait until I’m rich to venture into the MC world. Should happen any day now... 
P******t Debut Carbon, Goldring 1042, GS Accession MM w/Enigma, GS Solo ULDE w/PSU1, Sennheiser HD6XX, Technics SU-800 IA, Castle Knight 1, PS Audio Ultimate Outlet, Lautus & CuSat50
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 2:10pm
This was my reasoning for buying a Hana EL low output moving coil.

Replacement styli for the best MMs can cost £200 to £300. A brand new Hana EL is around £390. Therefore, it costs £90 to £190 more to break the Hana EL than a top MM.

If you're lucky not to break it, then a Hana EL is £100 cheaper than a 2M Black. OK, so I bought one.

Expecting very little, I found it a Technics headshell, mounted it, and set it up on one of my bog-standard reconditioned SL1200 Mk2s.

Apart from occasionally changing back to an MM to check-out an MM stage, the Hana EL is still there.

For somebody who has a reputation for hating MC, maybe this tells you something?
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Pushpaw View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pushpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Dec 2020 at 11:41pm
Food for thought Graham. In my case, the Hana would come with additional costs - namely the purchase of an Accession MC or Elevator XP. 

One day I’ll try it out. 
P******t Debut Carbon, Goldring 1042, GS Accession MM w/Enigma, GS Solo ULDE w/PSU1, Sennheiser HD6XX, Technics SU-800 IA, Castle Knight 1, PS Audio Ultimate Outlet, Lautus & CuSat50
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Dec 2020 at 6:10am
Originally posted by Pushpaw Pushpaw wrote:

Food for thought Graham. In my case, the Hana would come with additional costs - namely the purchase of an Accession MC or Elevator XP. 

One day I’ll try it out. 

Apologies. Embarrassed

But perhaps the EH version would be worth a try?

Edited by Graham Slee - 14 Dec 2020 at 6:11am
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic