FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

AC coupling vs. DC coupling

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Analog Kid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analog Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: AC coupling vs. DC coupling
    Posted: 27 Mar 2009 at 8:48pm
I have noticed many HiFi amp manufacturers proudly advertise their products being completely DC coupled. But why do they think this is such a great idea?

And what are the advantages and disadvantages of each coupling method?

Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2009 at 12:33am
Ah, you must be refering to the "all capacitors are sh1t" brigade!

It makes a difference from the "all solid state is sh1t" brigade!

Better throw away all your Slee gear AK if you believe these sh1t stirrers...

Please name a musical piece that features the "frequency" DC?

Edited by Graham Slee - 29 Mar 2009 at 12:38am
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analog Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2009 at 10:22am
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Ah, you must be refering to the "all capacitors are sh1t" brigade!

It makes a difference from the "all solid state is sh1t" brigade!

Better throw away all your Slee gear AK if you believe these sh1t stirrers...

Please name a musical piece that features the "frequency" DC?

No I don't believe them. I don't have the necessary knowledge to judge which method is better. I was just curious to know why so many manufacturers proudly advertise their amplifiers being DC coupled. But this whole discussion almost seems to take on a religious nature for you.
All I wanted was a technical explanation of each method and to learn about the differences. Ouch

And by the by, there is a brigade on each side. There are also many people who think all valves are garbage.

Edited by Analog Kid - 29 Mar 2009 at 3:54pm
mrarroyo View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mrarroyo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2009 at 3:11pm
Miguel

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Analog Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2009 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by mrarroyo mrarroyo wrote:

I google ac vs dc and got the following, btw I did not understand it.

I looked at the second link and got the following:

"DC coupling allows both AC and DC signals through, while AC coupling accepts only AC signals. Issue in AC coupling:  AC coupling rejects DC component in the signal, making the average value of the signal to zero.
"

All three articles only explain the matter from a purely technical point of view. There is no specific information about how the two coupling methods apply to amplifiers and how each method affects the sound.

Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2009 at 6:33pm
Well, you tell me!

After all, you do have a Reflex don't you?

Just what do you want from me by way of explanation? Blood? LOL

I have posted the Novo review from WHF here. The Novo is AC coupled. As far as I know the rest are DC coupled. The Novo was the winner of the group test with a most involving and addictive sound.Exclamation

Every single one of our products reviewed in WHF over 10 years has got 5 stars and at least one other has been group test winner against DC coupled competitors.Exclamation

Michael Fremer (ever heard of him...?) still uses his Era Gold V today 5 years after calling it miraculous! It also is capacitor coupled.Exclamation

I could go on, and on, and on...

PS. A very thorough technical explanation is coming up Nuke

Edited by Graham Slee - 29 Mar 2009 at 7:10pm
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2009 at 8:27pm
OK, here goes... there is no such thing as a DC coupled amplifier!

Thought that would get you going LOL

Even if the input, output and negative feedback signals are DC coupled (instead of connected by capacitors) the return to supply path is AC coupled!

How could it not be?

So that's one right in the face of the "all capacitors are sh1t brigade".

In fact, power supply return paths are eons worse than coupling capacitors!

Don't believe me - google it!

When it comes to power supply return paths the technique is called "decoupling" - get it wrong and you have an oscillator instead of an amplifier!

Decoupling is used to "solidly fix" the power supply rails relative to each other so they don't budge a jot while at the same time sourcing or sinking power to the amp. It doesn't matter if it's a small signal amp or power amp.

And it's done with..... CAPACITORS Exclamation

There, without going into a lengthy technical article you wouldn't understand (the technically minded can always do their homework...), that's part one of why DC coupling isn't the cure-all the advertising man (who isn't an engineer!), in complete ignorance and oblivious to any real science, claims!

Edited by Graham Slee - 17 May 2009 at 8:30pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
  Share Topic