FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

A static magnet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Guy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A static magnet
    Posted: 30 Apr 2022 at 9:32pm
As much as I enjoy listening to a Rega tt (which is quite a lot!) and recently making the leap from a P2 to a P8 I'm not a big fan of the wool mat they come with. It's a dry climate 8 months of the year here so static is a constant but the mat makes it even worse.

Have many people swapped their Rega supplied mat for something else? 

I've been looking at Funk Firm's Achromats and wondering who else has made the switch. Did you go with a 3 mm or 5 mm? How do you like the new mat?

Cheers
Naim Supernait 3
Rega P8
Ortofon 2M Bronze
Naim CD5x
Flatcap 2
Rotel T11 tuner
AudioQuest Rocket 88s
Audioquest Chicago interconnect
GordonM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GordonM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2022 at 10:51pm
I’m also upgraded to the P8 and ditched the Rega mat immediately for exactly the same reason.  It has a tendency to stick to the record when you lift it when there’s static.  I’ve used a variety of mats in the past (with a Planar 3) but got the Herbie’s Way Excellent II mat (2mm thick, 295mm diameter) to use with the P8.  Very pleased with it and no static issues with the mat now.  I sometimes use a Milty Zerostat 3 to zap static from records.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 12:17pm
I use a leather mat 2mm thick, I have had no issues with static. I did try out other mats once but went back to the leather one. I have heard acrylic mats work well, as my platter is made of the stuff I did try without a mat but didn't hear any sonic benefits and was wary of the record slipping on the platter, you can buy them that are designed to prevent this. If static is a big issue for you try and find a mat made of Anti-Static Polycarbonate, they call it polycarbonate ESD plastic. I don't know what it will do to the sound of your turntable!!
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 2:29pm
I'm not trying to be patronising here but if you go for a hard material like an acrylic platter mat, try and find one with a recess for the record label as I've noticed some that don't and this may cause a issue with how flat your record sits on the platter. I've had a look on the internet and the common consensus is acrylic, Leather and cork platter mats all have good anti-static properties and felt ones are bad. I also had a look to see about platter mats made of anti-static polycarbonate and can't find any.
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2022 at 8:01pm
Adding to Jon's sound advice I had an Origin Live mat which was thin and soft enough for the record to settle in it. Also reduced static buildup compared to the wool mat. I eventually replaced the platter with a substantial acrylic one that is still on there. It is rigid but has a clever recess for the label.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
TheScorpionsTale View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheScorpionsTale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 9:35pm
I'm using a 5mm Achromat on my Technics. I've not had problems with static.
Graham

SL1200 II with SME M2-9R and various carts / Revelation M with PSU-1 / Cyrus amp, CD and streamer / Kralk Audio BC30-3 Floorstanders / Bitzie and Lautus USB
Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 May 2022 at 9:55pm
Very good mat.
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic