FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

45 RPM

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
jazzcatlee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzcatlee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 45 RPM
    Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 8:38pm
How enthusiastic are you, if at all, about 12" 45 RPM records?

I hope this is the proper forum for this topic.
"All the hard ways!"
Ash View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ash Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 10:01pm
I'm not a vinyl enthusiast but when I tried out vinyl records a few years ago, I much preferred using 45RPM vinyl to the 33RPM vinyl, because of physical size and weight. I really liked having a small vinyl record dedicated to one track per side, which was easy to handle and I was much less likely to drop or damage. If I could get any track I wanted on a 45RPM vinyl, I'd certainly go back to vinyl as well as buy Graham's best preamp product/s.
HisDudeness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HisDudeness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2016 at 10:11pm
If an album is available as a genuine all analogue 45rpm release, then I'll almost certainly choose that version. Yeah it can be a pain flipping it often but the benefits of improved sonics and lack of chance of IGD (not an issue I suffer from thankfully) are worth it. I tend to gravitate to the best possible release I can get. If something is just a digital file dumped on vinyl then I'll just buy the cd, my vinyl aim is to just obtain the best possible listening experience I can afford.

Edited by HisDudeness - 07 Feb 2016 at 10:12pm
DaveG View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DaveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 4:57am
I tend to take it as it comes. I don't think think 45rpm or heavyweight vinyl is any sure fire guarantee of quality, particularly with re-releases. Some of my best sounding albums are on paper thin vinyl. All down to the mix & mastering imo. All things being equal, the heavyweight, virgin vinyl at 45 should be better in theory.
Dave

Michell Gorbe + HR PSU -> Cadenza Bronze -> SME V -> Elevator -> Accession -> Proprius -> B&W CM6 s2 | Cusat 50 & Spatia cables ->
jazzcatlee View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jazzcatlee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 5:15am
Originally posted by HisDudeness HisDudeness wrote:

If an album is available as a genuine all analogue 45rpm release, then I'll almost certainly choose that version.

Recently I bought an all analogue 45 RPM jazz release by mistake. At the moment I just thought: "Well this one is rather pricey." Later I opened it and found two records inside. It's the only 45 LP I own. And, damn, it sounds good.

Another drawback, by the way, along with more frequent flipping, is that the format doesn't lend itself to some genres. For example, a single movement of a romantic symphony may well be too long to fit on one side.

What is IGD?
"All the hard ways!"
HisDudeness View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HisDudeness Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 7:03am
Sorry, IGD is inner groove distortion. Most 45 rpm records I own run nowhere close to filling the side out so no chance of distortion.

I only own a handful of 45 rpm records, all carefully researched before purchasing with regards to source and mastering. The recent MOFI release of Jefferson Airplane's Surrealistic Pillow actually works wonders with a record traditionally not generally well regarded for its recording quality.
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2016 at 2:18pm
I have no 12 '' albums but quite a lot of 12'' 45 singles from the late 70/80s. Based on the experience of these (dynamics, power, cleanliness) I would fancy trying a 12'' album.   Never thought of tracking error but very good point. Richard
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic