Print Page | Close Window

Accession phono stage review

Printed From: Graham Slee at Hifi System Components
Category: Turntable Audio
Forum Name: Write A Review
Forum Description: Satisfied with your Graham Slee phono preamp? - share your experiences here
URL: https://www.hifisystemcomponents.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=2681
Printed Date: 20 Sep 2019 at 3:47pm
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Accession phono stage review
Posted By: morris_minor
Subject: Accession phono stage review
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 8:47am
Not so much a review (yet) since the Accession has only been powered up less than a day . . . .

But first impressions are - wow! What a stonking sound Big smile !

Music has a very tangible quality, and bass is deep but detailed and very well controlled. I'm noticing details in mixes that I hadn't before, too. It's being used with an Elevator and Zyx R100 - the dip switches being set to "off" (ie. up).

The variable output works a treat with my ADC, and means the end of inline attenuators and phono t-pieces. Just set a mid-point gain level in the software, and the rotary output on the Accession can then be used to get the right input level for the best recording. Simple and very effective.

More from me when the unit has burned in, and more albums have been put on the clock . . . Wink

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links

Replies:
Posted By: Chris Firth
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 10:08am
Sounds like you're back in the saddle and well on the road to recovery.
Welcome back Bob Smile

Posted By: Suggs
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 10:26am
+1 Clap

-------------
Derek

Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 10:37am
Thanks, Chris and Derek! Having something good to focus on definitely aids recovery . . . Wink

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Posted By: BAK
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 4:36pm
Hang On To A Dream!
Music is my first love!

-------------
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15/625, Technics SL-1600MK2, Reflex M, Lautus, Technics SH-8066, Dynaco ST120a, Eminence Beta 8A in custom cabs;; Using Majestic DAC
Enjoy Life Your Way!

Posted By: miT
Date Posted: 21 Oct 2015 at 8:52pm
Originally posted by morris_minor morris_minor wrote:

Thanks, Chris and Derek! Having something good to focus on definitely aids recovery . . . Wink

Too right! Good to see your catching up with your homework before you start enjoying yourself Bob.

Posted By: Fatmangolf
Date Posted: 22 Oct 2015 at 8:04pm
Thanks Bob.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears, whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Posted By: shashirao
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2015 at 2:31am
Very tempting review. Can you share any notes/observation on how the Accession compares to the Reflex? I am most definitely set on acquiring the Accession/Elevator combo...but hearing good things about that choice warms the heart Big smile

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2015 at 9:39am
I'll definitely be posting more about the Accession (and how it compares with the Reflex), Shashi, but I need to let it burn in some more to ensure it's working at its optimum performance. Wink

Needless to say, I'm thoroughly enjoying the albums I'm playing through it! One point I can make is that the alternative EQ options ("British", and "American") offer - with RIAA discs - subtle tone controls Shocked for less than perfect records. 

Something I have thought about is how much phono stage design is an art - black art almost! Unless you just go by the numbers, like so very many phono amps out there - giving a predictable but ultimately unrewarding performance, the production of a truly musical, involving phono amp is down to the designer's willingness to experiment with circuits and components. The Accession is the product of Graham's search for "something better" - which has led to a patent-applied for design ultimately based on listening rather than "the numbers". 

Also, thinking about "reviewing" hifi in general terms - the usefulness of an individual's opinion is really quite limited given that the component under review is only one part of a chain of items, each of which will affect the sound to a greater or lesser extent. For a phono amp, the turntable-arm-cartridge combo will have a significant input, as will the end transducer - headphones and speakers. Couple all this with the reviewer's preferences for sound reproduction, and you have a very personal opinion indeed. 

All of which you may take as a disclaimer for anything I write later! LOL And which makes the forum loan scheme so valuable . . . 

For the record (sic.) my system for the (forthcoming) review is:

Kenwood 7010  direct drive TT with Zyx R100 MC
Accession + Elevator (and Reflex M)
Majestic pre-amp
Libran balanced cables to Harbeth DPM1 Pro active speakers
Solo ULDE and Audeze LCD-2 headphones
CuSat50 interconnects throughout

Now back to the music . . . Big smile

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Posted By: Ash
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2015 at 10:38am
The source file mixing/mastering/encoding quality and the end choice of transducer, either speaker or headphone, have always been the two most important things for me. As long as those two things are really great, I am happy to do without the rest. Smile If either of these are crap, I could put any amount of GS products in the signal chain and it would still sound crap, in my personal opinion.

However, once they're both great, I will certainly say that a Majestic-Proprius system with Lautus interconnects really took the reproduction of the chosen transducer up to a substantially different level, a new plateau that completely changes expectations regarding what I perceive as incredible and what I feel is simply mediocre.

It would be easy for me to write a load of guff about various aspects of the sound in full-blown pretentious and comprehensive English, completely losing the genuine understanding of the reader thereafter, but I will simply say that GSP electronics bring the musical performance back towards how it should have always sounded. I have no regrets about any of the products that I bought from GSPAudio. So yeah, much of it ended up being surplus to requirement but the refined remnants that I have kept really do make the whole journey and financial expenditure worthwhile.

Posted By: Graham Slee
Date Posted: 29 Oct 2015 at 7:23pm
OK, it's admission time. Graham screwed up - yes I did.

I got a capacitor value wrong in Andrew's Accession. Quickly spotted and Andrew was invited to John C's place to have it corrected.

Andrew didn't want to say anything in public for fear of my reputation, so I'm saying it instead.

I may be getting old but I can react swiftly and I still get the gut feeling for what's right and what's not.

And only one went out like that, and no more will.

So please Andrew, can you update us?

-------------
Not simple enough for Google-Bot to understand...

Posted By: Drewan77
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 1:05am
Well Graham, you say you screwed up which I think is a pretty big overstatement. The only subtle difference I have noticed after John made this minor mod is to the bass frequencies. I originally focused on the beautiful shimmering treble (which persists), but the 'correction' has done something rather nice at the bottom end - I would say that bass timing is noticeably more 'snappy' than I recall with either the Era Gold or Reflex M, or during my first couple of weeks with the Accession.

At present I am enjoying listening to well known and forgotten albums as I have not heard them before.... it's all good ! Big smile

-------------
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew

Posted By: Suggs
Date Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 6:05am
How many other manufacturers would own up to an "error" such as this...yet another example of what makes GSP the most ethical and honest company in the hi fi industry...well done Graham Clap

-------------
Derek

Date Posted: 30 Oct 2015 at 7:52pm

To confound those who skip to the end of a review for the conclusion, I’m starting back to front:

The Accession is a worthy flagship product, and while the Reflex M remains a superb product at it’s price point, Graham has managed to raise the bar yet again in the phono preamp sound quality stakes whilst adding useful features for the dedicated vinyl enthusiast such as different EQ settings, loading options and an additional and variable output. It deserves to sell faster than they can be made.

Now I’ve got that out of the way – what does the thing sound like? Many moons ago, when I moved from the phono stage of an integrated amp to an Era Gold V, the first album I played then was a Quincy Jones big band Mercury disc called ‘The Birth Of A Band’. Then it set my foot tapping and put a big grin on my face. With the Accession history repeated itself. You’re just closer to the music. Rhythmic and timbral definition go up another notch from the Reflex.

Eurythmics’ ‘Sweet Dreams’ album revelled in the Accession’s ability to delve into the mix – not in a forensic way, but in an unforced and natural manner that gets you deeper into the music almost without realising what’s happening. Bass definition and control is outstanding, and I found Green Day’s ‘American Idiot’, and a recent Ultravox issue (‘Monument-The Soundtrack’) both benefitting from this, and the rhythmic drive that the Accession conveys so well.

I play a lot of orchestral music. Turning to a favourite – Moussorgsky’s ‘Pictures At An Exhibition’ (Fritz Reiner’s Chicago version on a Classic Records reissue of the RCA Living Stereo album), the depth, detail and impact of this 1958 recording is very impressive. I think it was forum member AussieMick who coined the phrase (about the Majestic) “not enough o’s in smooth”; well the Accession sounds smooooth to the nth degree while giving you natural tonality with both rhythmic and spatial detail. You could say the Accession is to phono stages what the Majestic is to DACs . . .

More polite Baroque music fares equally well. The English Concert’s ‘period’ woodwind have their character conveyed with perfect integrity and string sound is smooth and detailed.

I’ve mentioned big band jazz; well small group jazz benefits enormously from the clarity and definition – at all frequencies – that the Accession bestows. Sonny Rollins’ sax on ‘Way Out West’ only has bass and drums for accompaniment, and all the instruments’ characters are laid out before you with detail in spades. With a Blue Note mono issue (Kenny Dorham’s ‘Round Midnight At The Café Bohemia’), switching the Accession to mono with the stereo cartridge brought a solidity to the sound easily equal to using a proper mono cartridge.

I could go on mentioning album after album, but the bottom line is that the Accession gets you closer to whatever music you play.

I’ve yet to try a MM cartridge with it (having used a Zyx R100 MC with the Elevator so far), and will report more when I’ve done so.

Meanwhile if your appetite is whetted and you’d like to hear an audio clip or two, just drop me a PM with your email address . . .

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 01 Nov 2015 at 10:19pm
Thanks for a very good review Bob. This has made me eager to hear an Accession in my own system.

-------------
Jon

Open mind and ears, whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.

Posted By: RichW
Date Posted: 02 Nov 2015 at 10:27am
Yes, thanks for that informative review Bob. Will be interesting to read your views
on MM if you get the chance.
The Accession is getting to be a big temptation.

-------------
Elevator, Accession, Majestic, Reflex M, Solo ULDE, CuSat & Lautus.

Date Posted: 04 Nov 2015 at 6:27pm
I've just swapped the Accession for the Reflex M, and there is definitely something missing - the connection with the music is more apparent with the Accession, and the better grip on the bass is noticeable too.

But it would be wrong to say there's a night and day difference - because in my system there's not: the differences are apparent but subtle. A couple of days with the Reflex and I'll be back enjoying it as much as I ever did! The extra features of the Accession however (variable output, EQ settings, mono switch, loading) would definitely be missed . . . Wink

I'm taking this opportunity to move the Accession to my second system to sample a range of MM cartridges . . . more from me later (this week, hopefully . . )

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2015 at 5:20pm
The Accession has now been in my AV system for a couple of days. The "preamp" is an Audiolab 8200AP switched to 'direct' for vinyl playback. The amps are a couple of Proprius mono blocks connecting with PMC Gb1i speakers via Spatia cable.

The turntable I'm currently using is a much modified Technics SL-QL1 parallel tracker, and so far I've only used one of my p-mount MMs - a Technics P22 with a NOS boron cantilvered stylus. I had a SL7 back in the 80s and paid scant attention to the P22, wanting to go with the crowd and get a p-mount Shure V15LT. I should have listened to the P22 a bit more closely back then, because via the Accession it produces a stunning sound. 

The traits of the Accession with MC via an Elevator are all there - deep controlled bass, a clarity to die for, and a great connection with the music. I was taken aback, though, by the quality of the treble. Whether shimmering cymbals, or soaring strings  - the P22 would give a good many MCs a run for their money. I can say with absolute certainty that my 1980s P22 never sounded this good.

An example of the detail that this combination revealed came with a big band disc. I'd never heard that a sax section riff was being doubled by a muted trumpet before. But it was quite apparent via the Accession. Spatial placement was also exemplary; on a marimba solo you could place each note in a slightly different position.

I've a Jico SAS stylus for the P22, so will try that, along with an Ortofon OM40 and X1-MC (hgh output MC), and a Sonus SPM4 (which gives a lovely smooth ride). But meanwhile I'm hooked on the Accession/P22 pairing . . . 

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2015 at 5:54pm
Bobs' impression of the Accession with the P22 is very interesting - I have used an AT150ANV, AT150MLX, Ortofon 2M Black and 2M Blue with the Accession & in each case music is smoother than I have heard through any other phono stage - pin point imaging, fabulous musicality and a very realistic and addictive shimmer to percussion (in particular). He seems to have a similar experience so let's hope this trait continues with other combinations, both MM and MC.

-------------
Andrew

Posted By: Richardl60
Date Posted: 07 Nov 2015 at 12:09pm
Hi whilst not in the market for one at the moment can Graham share when the Accession is due for official/commercial release/sale?

I have never been sure how the press gets hold of products for review but will be interesting to see how it is received? I am never sure whether they are requested or provided by manufacturers? Maybe this is story Graham can share at another time. I do like scanning the TNT reviews and wonder if they are an option?

Regards
Richard

Date Posted: 07 Nov 2015 at 9:32pm
Reviews are about one persons findings, in one system, and that persons personal taste. Not forgetting the reviewers taste in music.

Another thing about some reviewers is their personal allegiance to a particular brand or group of brands which can sometimes color the outcome.

Reviews can also be bought and one of "the magazines" charges £500 (internet) and £1000 (print and internet) chargeable up-front.

Reviews by some TNT Audio reviewers will be kosher. Their "bio's" may assist in you deciding if they are.

Magazine deadlines leave little time for a product to settle or "burn-in".

It surprises me how much trust people put in magazine reviews. It's as if they can't trust their own ears, and don't know how to assess if a product gives an improvement.

Proper use of the loaner program will shed light on whether a product does it or not. Use the product exclusively for the two week trial period, then after revert back to what you had for another two week period.

Then answer yourself honestly. Did you miss anything when you reverted back?

It's OK to answer no if not, but if you did then try and quantify what you missed. If you think you can no longer listen without that product, then you'd buy it. You don't need a reviewer to tell you.

Reviews are useful for a manufacturer to gain some credence with a new customer, but once that customer has found the manufacturer's products are to his/her taste, then it should move on to a manufacturer-customer relationship. Unless that is, the original product turned out to be a "one hit wonder".

Magazines have made people too scared to trust themselves, and some manufacturers are also responsible.

It isn't healthy to wait for a magazine to tell you it's OK to buy.

PS. Magazines don't go out and buy products to review. Most of the time they're flooded out with products from manufacturers waiting to be reviewed. Those that make good cover shots (which tempt people to buy the magazine) get pride of place. Some less-fortunate magazines will request a product from a manufacturer.

-------------

Date Posted: 07 Nov 2015 at 10:23pm
Thanks Graham. I am not sure whether my point came over as intended. It had meant to better understand the process (which you have answered well) and potentially to gain the credence the forum comments have earned to a wider audience (I.e. Support the product) which I believe all GSP products have done that I have seen.

I agree with everything you have said on thought processes involved in buying new gear and the pitfalls of the 'industry'.

There will be many people who haven't experienced Your products so would never get near the loaner programme though.

Reliance on good dealers as I did at hi-if sound in Stockton led me to your products though do remember my trawling reviews to validate my ears prior to listening tests.

There are some products which are more difficult to audition for example the Audiomods arm which I will get around to one day which are direct buys. Cartridges can also be a tricky one for example there are some I would not entertain if tracking was poor whatever they sounded like though again the same dealer had unusually the same excellent demo facilities.

I suppose the final point is that whilst the only time I ever buy hi if mags are as a holiday read, it interesting to keep up to date with new developments the - Accession being one. I occasionally buy car mags but would never buy a car without extended test drives but can help in shortlisting particularly if there are major failings (cars, hifi etc).

Close relation once bought a Krell KSA50 many years ago on the back of favourable sounds from Absolute sounds showrooms and rave reviews - it went back much to the dealers disgust!

Finally I totally agree that the acid test is often when returning to your old hardware can you live without the new item, if the answer is no then you tend to buy it. In a number of cases this can result in surprising buys which don't always follow logic!

I am sure I will move to the accession at some point but working on the principle that what you don't have you don't miss I will persevere with my Revelation for some time yet it certainly ISNT the lack of a review that will stop me buying one but other priorities.

Hope all continues to go well and they do fly off your shelves.

Kind regards
Richard

Date Posted: 08 Nov 2015 at 12:00pm
I treat reviews as previews and appreciate good hi-fi retailers who allow an extended listen in my house with my other components. It's not just what you hear on your records, it's whether you want to play more of them!

My Accession arrives this week so I'll hear whether it displaces my Revelation M, an outstandingly good preamp that has given me many hundreds of hours of listening pleasure.

-------------
Jon

Posted By: latinaudio
Date Posted: 08 Dec 2015 at 5:25am
Hi Fatmangolf.
Did you receive your Accesion?
Thoughts? comments? 

-------------
"Music nourishes the spirit"

Date Posted: 11 Dec 2015 at 9:43pm
Hi to those of you when have moved from Revelation to Accession are there any of the settings which you miss? After a limited use of CD & vinyl over the last 6 months I am getting back in the saddle again with vinyl in particular.

Regards Richard

Date Posted: 14 Dec 2015 at 8:32pm
Only one. I have couple of old Chess compilations that are very bassy and would have changed the Revelation to 375 or 250Hz bass turnover. It's minor thing given the clarity the Accession brings to the overall sound being more natural. Being brand new technology I suspect it will be even better as Graham squeezes every last improvement out of the Accession design so an exciting new stage.

-------------
Jon

Posted By: DaveG
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 3:56pm
I subscribe to the OL e-newsletter.This one talks about the Bristol Hi Fi show and there's a nice plug:

"Another major item on show is the new Accession phono stage from Graham Slee (GSP Audio). I guess Graham has always championed high end sound at affordable prices but £800 is crazy for the performance level and makes this item an absolute steal"

-------------
Dave

Michell Gorbe + HR PSU -> Cadenza Bronze -> SME V -> Elevator -> Accession -> Proprius -> B&W CM6 s2 | Cusat 50 & Spatia cables ->

Posted By: ICL1P
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 5:00pm
This from the OL website:
"Phenomenal phono stage that cannot be overhyped because it really is that good - comfortably outperforms many phono stages at well over 4 times the price. GSP audio may not always be flavour of the month but is a true market leader that shatters the recommendations of a seemingly endless stream of mediocre stages with great reviews".

And this:
"Please note: GSP Audio Phono Stages are not available outside the UK".

-------------
Ifor
=====
Reflex M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.

Posted By: BackinBlack
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by ICL1P ICL1P wrote:

"Please note: GSP Audio Phono Stages are not available outside the UK".

Excellent review/recommendation, but where did they get that idea from?

In time honoured fashion, all together now  -  Oh Yes they are.

-------------
Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 5:21pm
Can someone reach out to the magazine on correcting their statement. GSP Audio is available outside the UK too. I am a certified customer in the US Smile

Back to the Accession, it has been over a month now. And I have not been very vocal on this forum...and the reason? The Accession.

The Elevator/Accession have settled in nicely. The results I get with my vinyl playback is....something akin to playing a CD. Not the sound quality of course. But that absolute silence and lack of noise during playback.

It is amazing that these same very vinyls were so noisy for so many decades. Looks like the minions have done a fine job fixing those grooves.

The Accession sound is very realistic when it comes to playing back acoustic instrument. One gets to hear them the way they are played live. From the subtle beats of the congas to the slide and glide of the fret or fingers over the guitar strings.

The big difference between the Accession and the Revelation to me is that the Accession seems to re-layer the sounds more accurately. Somehow the balance between the instruments is much better and realistic. The vocals are where they are supposed to be...I can hear the breathing of the singer (if there is any - accidental or incidental)...both with the Reflex and the Accession. But the Accession provides more context to that incident. You hear it and assimilate that sound or incident in relationship to the overall composition.

The Accession simply astounds with the magnificent replay of the vinyl. It does not shock or draw your attention to any particular aspect. It allows you to focus on the playback instead, enjoy the performance. And most times...the playback is something that I have never heard that piece played like that before. Most definitely a game changer. Also makes me wonder...what the heck remains in improvement? I mean there is only so much that these vinyls can deliver :) 

Time for Accession to ascend the popularity charts... 

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 5:25pm
+1Thumbs Up

-------------
Bruce
AT-14SA, Pickering XV-15/625, Technics SL-1600MK2, Reflex M, Lautus, Technics SH-8066, Dynaco ST120a, Eminence Beta 8A in custom cabs;; Using Majestic DAC
Enjoy Life Your Way!

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 5:42pm
On rereading OLs Ts & Cs it appears that they only offer GSP phono stages for sale in the UK.

-------------

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by Shashirao Shashirao wrote:

The Accession simply astounds with the magnificent replay of the vinyl. It does not shock or draw your attention to any particular aspect. It allows you to focus on the playback instead, enjoy the performance. And most times...the playback is something that I have never heard that piece played like that before. Most definitely a game changer. Also makes me wonder...what the heck remains in improvement? I mean there is only so much that these vinyls can deliver :) 
Well said, Shashi! Thumbs Up This deserves to be quoted on the Accession's web page . . .

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 7:19pm
Originally posted by BackinBlack BackinBlack wrote:

On rereading OLs Ts & Cs it appears that they only offer GSP phono stages for sale in the UK.

That explains it.

-------------
Ifor
=====

Posted By: ServerBaboon
Date Posted: 22 Feb 2016 at 10:39pm
they are a UK dealer and will only be allowed to sell in the UK to protect Graham's overseas dealers?

-------------
Steve

-------------

Various bits of GSP Kit ..well two so far, unless you count the cables that is.

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 6:04am
Originally posted by ServerBaboon ServerBaboon wrote:

they are a UK dealer and will only be allowed to sell in the UK to protect Graham's overseas dealers?

Correct! Maybe it could have been worded better.

It's good to have OL's support though. Mark is a very reserved chap so from what he has written I guess the Accession is liked.

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Feb 2016 at 8:22am

'....is a true market leader that shatters the recommendations of a seemingly endless stream of mediocre stages with great reviews.'

Yes indeed.

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 8:00am
According to the Origin Live news letter it looks like they have the Accession in their room at the Bristol show.

-------------
Steve

-------------

Date Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 9:21am

Accoring to the Origin Live news letter it looks like they have the Accession in their room at the Bristol show.

Yes, Mark Baker has told us he intends to demo using the Accession phono preamp at Bristol.

-------------

Posted By: Ash
Date Posted: 24 Feb 2016 at 9:26am

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2016 at 11:58am
Pinched this interesting photo from another forum from the Bristol weekend.
Looks like the the top OL deck with Elevator / Accession & some affordable speakers.

-------------

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2016 at 12:26pm
Nice pic, Rich! Looks a thoroughly sensible setup which sounded great, I'm sure . . 

Let's hope the Accession/EXP combo sparked interest among the punters. Wink

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2016 at 10:13pm

Nice pic, Rich! Looks a thoroughly sensible setup which sounded great, I'm sure . . 

Let's hope the Accession/EXP combo sparked interest among the punters. Wink

Wink

12k turntable sensible?

I think they wanted to show that source is more important than expensive speakers so they were using some £169 Q acoustic speakers.

Still bemused that the upgraded psu is not standard on the 2nd to the top turntable. Oh and I am a fan of origin live.

-------------
Steve

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2016 at 7:59am
It does seem to be a bit of an 'oddball' system - 12k deck + arm & cart coupled with £169
speakers & is taking the 'source first' concept to the extreme.
Hopefully it worked as intended & sounded excellent, proving OL's point but who in reality
would put together such a system?

-------------

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2016 at 8:16am

12k turntable sensible?
Well, no, not really, but TBH I hadn't really looked closely to see what it was! Embarrassed

However it does show OL's faith in Graham's little boxes, even if slightly strange they didn't use their own phono amp . . . Ermm

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2016 at 1:38pm
Not sure they still do their own phono stage - website page returns a blank anyway. Agreed it is fairly odd to put £169 speakers with such kit. I guess they are making a point about source 1st. Whats the amp? looks like a Sugden to me.

-------------
Dave

Michell Gorbe + HR PSU -> Cadenza Bronze -> SME V -> Elevator -> Accession -> Proprius -> B&W CM6 s2 | Cusat 50 & Spatia cables ->

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2016 at 1:44pm
IMO it needs a GSP valve amp . . Wink

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 02 Mar 2016 at 11:04pm

12k turntable sensible?
Well, no, not really, but TBH I hadn't really looked closely to see what it was! Embarrassed

However it does show OL's faith in Graham's little boxes, even if slightly strange they didn't use their own phono amp . . . Ermm

Will confess I am on their news list so I knew what they were doing..Wink

-------------
Steve

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 3:17am
Time for another Accession update:

Firstly - is there a way to recognize Graham as the living patron saint of the doomed and damaged vinyls? 

It has been close to 2 months with the Accession/Elevator - and I think I have reached the stage of nirvana. I have been rigorously using this with the Miyajima Zero cart for mono  recordings only. And the results have progressed from the impressive to the jaw dropping awesome.

I have to admit - one of my biggest fear in playing the vinyls has been the dread of that pop, click, crackle and skipped track. Things have come to such a head that today I compare playing vinyls akin to playing audio CDs. There is an increased expectation in no noise, zero distractions ....but much much better music - pure, interesting...as intended. 

The only area there the Accession/Elevator combo does not make a dent is the domain of bad pressings and bad recording source. Dang it...I am expecting miracles...is that so unjustified?? Actually even with a bad recording I still get more character...in terms of instrument play and placement. 

On a lark, I recently went ahead and purchased a huge shipment of vinyls at an atrociously low price with overseas shipping included for free. To my horror...I receive 3 huge packets - 180 vinyls in all...of dusty, beaten up, muddy vinyls. I am talking about something stored in that dungeon pit in the Silence of the Lambs...it shall put the lotion...it shall clean those vinyls...it shall now throw all that dirt out and fumigate the house.

A good 30% of these vinyls were so badly beaten up - scratches and all...that I was seriously contemplating asking for a refund. But then the original price was so darned cheap that a refund would have made me money. 

Enter the Zero-Accession-Elevator setup.

Firstly the Zero is not known to be kind and friendly to badly beaten up vinyls. It will generously skip tracks than run thru the maze like Jason Bourne. And in this case a few of the vinyls has something stuck on top...that I had to scratch off with my nails. Welcome to the Rocky Show of Horrors. But once I got the vinyl all clean and setup for play....it was jaw dropping astonishing. 

The playback of the Zero can be heard as it plays...no distortion of any sort....well almost....in between. The playback of these vinyls starts with huge crackle as the needle settles in. But once it settles it....it is all between the cartridge...a cable...and the Elevator/Accession. Sheer joy.

The playback is very detailed, layered and engaging. In case of bad grooves...there is noise...however the noise is compartmentalized...it somehow does not interfere with listening to the track. The noise sounds distant...something that can be cleaned with a simple filter....but even that is not needed. The Accession plays anything audible so well...that any noise just melts into the background. In fact I have found new found respect for some horrible tracks that I never liked. 

The sound from the Accession/Elevator is incredibly detailed. Compared to the Reflex...it adding additional nuance to a clear and punchy/loud/clear playback. It is not loud or anything...just more impactful....clarity is enhanced so that one can hear the instruments and vocals as it was recorded. Trust me...I have heard musicians cough, take a sharp intake of breath, external noise in recording room, voice echoing against the recording room walls...you name it.  In short, I have been transported inside the recording room where the music was played live as they recorded. I have front seat tickets too.

So to summarize...these 180 vinyls...of which 30-50 are badly beaten...well not anymore. They are not useless anymore...I am expecting and hearing fantastic music from them. Graham brings forth new respect to the resilience of the vinyls...to take extreme physical abuse...bear multiple scars and scratches...but still contain fantastic music within their grooves. And thankfully the Zero is able to read...and the Accession/Elevator able to translate it without an iota of nonsense.

Now if only Graham can elevate these miracle machines to correct some horrid recording decisions and playback mistakes....Smile

Cheers
Shashi

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 9:44am
Much more of this sort of thing & the credit card will have to come out.Smile
A persuasive write-up Shashi.

-------------

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 11:41am
Yes I agree. I have never subscribed to the warts and all theory. You can eliminate all hiss, clicks, hum and distortion with the on off switch but good well designed and executed gear should not emphasise defects of any kind and in my experience isolate them as here described and minimise the impact on the ears as described above. Yes the ode of an accession is warming nicely subject to the pennies of course.

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by Shashi Shashi wrote:

Firstly - is there a way to recognize Graham as the living patron saint of the doomed and damaged vinyls? 
St. Graham of Barnsley

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 3:05pm
And don't forget the Minions of Graham!Wink

-------------
Bruce
Enjoy Life Your Way!

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 8:16pm
Not enough eyes Bob.

-------------
Ifor
=====

Date Posted: 03 Mar 2016 at 9:59pm
What a perfect picture....just change that halo into a spinning vinyl record..and as Bruce suggests...a few minions at his feet....waiting to get into the groove :)

Date Posted: 04 Mar 2016 at 7:45am
Originally posted by shashirao shashirao wrote:

....just change that halo into a spinning vinyl record..
Funny you should say that - I did think about doing it, but couldn't spare the time to work on it in Photoshop! Ermm

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 11 Mar 2016 at 3:01am
Have you ever reached a point of comfort where the mere thought of making a change is painful? I must say I am reaching that point. It is time to remove the Zero cart from the setup and move towards things Stereo.

As I mentioned in my previous updates on the Accession, things have gotten so good in my mono playback setup that there is no further change I can think I want. Even the most ugly beaten up ragged vinyl is able to play with astounding clarity and detail. 

The lingering thought however persists - how much of this is contributed by the cartridge...and how much by the Elevator/Accession combo? Is the Accession really the Savior of Lost and Battered Vinyls? <insert dramatic music here>

And thus time to revisit the Palo Santos Presentation and the Kansui cartridges. I am most definitely expecting more noise in stereo soundtracks. It is either because of the extra information extracted from the grooves.....there are more possible source for noise within the grooves. And then there is the cartridge style/shape/features and how they handle the vinyls. 

So time to see how this sublime creation handles and comes to the rescue of beaten up stereo recordings. 

I am really really really going to miss the sound profile of the Zero-Accession. In my limited opinion, this is one of the best possible combination. Absolutely stunning, real life and noise free playback. It adds so much intelligence to the interpretation of the music within. Those minions brings alive an entire performing orchestra to the living room. 

I am hoping the Kansui being from the same family as the Zero will provide that meaty richness when it comes to sound extraction. The Elevator/Accession will be the constants - I am not even going near them.

Which brings an interesting thought to mind: How about some lights on the Accession?....or some digital screen...which if nothing else flashes text like...now performing deep extract... now realigning your music... converting.... enhancing..  fixed your music... hold on to your seats... hang on to your hats... here comes the refined and improved sound... kaboom... you may now slowly close your jaw.

Seriously for all the work the Accession does, I really think it needs constant mention/notice rather than sitting unobtrusively doing its magic. Take a bow Accession and all the brains and muscles behind it. 

Date Posted: 13 Mar 2016 at 10:21pm
Hi Shashi,
I love the way you write about your experience with the Accession. It's making me very jealous.

-------------
Ifor
=====

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2016 at 1:31pm
My Accession arrived a few hours ago. Ahead of schedule and nicely in time a long weekend off. Despite my best intentions I couldn't resist giving it a little spin (I was going to carry on running the Reflex for around 72hrs) Oh well, burn in be damned!! Big smile

I don't wanna go off half cocked so I'll keep my thoughts to myself for a bit, at least until I can rationalise why this thing sounds so damn good.

I think I might wear my stylus out over the course of this weekend.

-------------
Dave

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2016 at 9:53pm
You've an enjoyable time ahead then, Dave .. Wink

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Posted By: tg
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 9:11pm
I've been keeping my thoughts to myself for a while now and the situation is that I cannot rationalise why it sounds so good in any way other than it took Graham a good few years to come up with the ideas behind it and some more to develop them into a working product.
Having watched some of the process from afar and having some idea of the dead-ends and discarded options along the way eventually I purchased one, unheard, being satisfied that if Graham thought it good enough it would be.
I am not disappointed, I really should try another cartridge or two with it and do some back to back comparisons with the Revelation it usurped, but I am enjoying it too much to be bothered at present.
It has given me a new appreciation of the abilities of a cartridge I thought I knew fairly well and as a result has given a new insight into many recordings I also thought I knew well, revealing subtleties and details I had not suspected of being there.
It reminds me of the difference I heard when first I replaced my SUT with an Exp many years ago.
Perhaps in a while I will attempt to categorise the differences and formulate some thoughts on them, but for now I have too many more records to play.

-------------
Tony G

Posted By: LOINER
Date Posted: 08 Apr 2016 at 10:59pm
Originally posted by tg tg wrote:

but for now I have too many more records to play.

And that's exactly how it should be Tony,enjoy your listening.

-------------
STUART
SOLO ULTRA LINEAR DIAMOND EDITION
LAUTUS DUAL MONO 1.5M INTERCONNECTS
GRAM AMP 2SE

Date Posted: 11 Apr 2016 at 9:49pm
Wise words indeed.

-------------
Jon

Date Posted: 23 Oct 2016 at 3:48pm
http://www.monoandstereo.com/2016/10/graham-slee-accession-phono-preamp.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.monoandstereo.com/2016/10/graham-slee-accession-phono-preamp.html  

Any idea who's doing this review, Graham?

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 4:53pm
It's nice to see the Accession featuring in the banner ad on LP Gear's Facebook page:

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 6:37pm

http://www.monoandstereo.com/2016/10/graham-slee-accession-phono-preamp.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.monoandstereo.com/2016/10/graham-slee-accession-phono-preamp.html  

Que? Confused

-------------

Date Posted: 06 Nov 2016 at 9:09pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Que? Confused
The page says a "review is coming" . . 

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Posted By: pcourtney
Date Posted: 05 Dec 2016 at 8:44am
the boss man himself, Mr  Matej Isak will be writing the review at Mono & Stereo 

-------------
Pink Triangle PT1 & SME III arm
Graham Slee Accession MM
AVI Sub & DM5 Active Speakers

Date Posted: 05 Dec 2016 at 11:16am
Scary!

-------------

Posted By: Godra
Date Posted: 07 Dec 2016 at 12:52am
Any idea when it will be available ?

Date Posted: 18 Dec 2016 at 7:30pm
New review of the Accession on Postiive Feedback:

http://positive-feedback.com/reviews/hardware-reviews/graham-slee-accession/" rel="nofollow - http://positive-feedback.com/reviews/hardware-reviews/graham-slee-accession/

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 18 Dec 2016 at 7:45pm
that is a cracking review indeed Clap

-------------
Graham Slee Accession MM

Date Posted: 18 Dec 2016 at 7:49pm
Hopefully it'll raise Graham's profile in the US and generate some sales . .  Wink

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 18 Dec 2016 at 8:19pm
Wow! I want one.

-------------
Ifor
=====

Date Posted: 18 Dec 2016 at 8:23pm
Yes very god indeed as I would have expected from my experiences.

I know Graham is looking at a second speakerto his LS3/5a but I do find it remarkable that despite these speakers having limited bass extension this (and other GSP products) perform very well in the lower registers which I can only conclude will be inaudible during the listenimg tests but would imagine this reflects a very well engineered design.

Date Posted: 18 Dec 2016 at 8:24pm
Ifor,  I have about 30 or more Moving Magnet and Moving Iron carts spanning 40 years, and running through the Accession they all sound much much better, even the very cheap carts sound good running through the Accession ( and that is saying something ) 

if I get time I am going to write up a little review of each cart and how the Accession has helped get the best out of all these old carts 

Peter

-------------
Graham Slee Accession MM

Date Posted: 18 Dec 2016 at 8:25pm
Would be interesting.

Date Posted: 18 Dec 2016 at 8:29pm

Wow! I want one.

I'll probably wait until I can get two of them in one box.

-------------
Ifor
=====

Date Posted: 18 Dec 2016 at 9:23pm
Originally posted by Richardl60 Richardl60 wrote:

...I do find it remarkable that despite these speakers having limited bass extension this (and other GSP products) perform very well in the lower registers which I can only conclude will be inaudible during the listenimg tests but would imagine this reflects a very well engineered design.

Thank you. The AP analyser also helps by telling us the LF is there and the HD250 II headphones go pretty low, resolving the kettle drums well at the beginning of "In The Hall Of The Mountain King" from Peer Gynt, Deutsche Grammophon 427 325-1 (even though it's from a digital master).

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Dec 2016 at 9:27pm

Wow! I want one.

I'll probably wait until I can get two of them in one box.

Which depends on the MC input stage being tuned to perfection. It is almost right but I found it benefits from a slightly different form of voltage regulation being worked on at present.

-------------

Date Posted: 21 Dec 2016 at 12:39am
By coincidence I played the same Squeeze album only last weekend and enjoyed it. My Accession has brought the best out of everything I plugged into it, the music sounds terrific. Talk of a MC/MM Accession makes me think about saving up for a new arrival in the hi-fi system, after trying the UK loan unit. Hint, please.

-------------
Jon

Posted By: nemu
Date Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 9:51am
Hello everybody ..

First of all, please excuse my bad English.

I just bought an Accession here in Germany. I received it yesterday and installed it in the evening. I am running the Accession with my Ortofon 2M Black on a Technics SL1200G, a tube preamp and active Geithain 901K loudspeakers. I am using the Technics only for MM-Cartidges. For MC-Cartridges I am using another turntable from Dr. Feickert, a German manufacture.

For a first try I set the cartridge load for my Ortofon 2M Black to 100 pF, using the dip switches on the back of the Accession.

I listend to the Accession until 2 AM this morning being very satisfied with the sound I receive. The resolution is really great. The bass , mids and hights are well defined and match each other. The sound is natural and there is absolutley no harshness in the trebles. The soundstage is wide and deep. Listening to a jazz quartet you seem to sit close to the band, music beeing everywehre around you.

Congratulations! You built an excellent MM phono stage for a reasonable price. I am very glad that I bought it. Using your Accession and a good MM cartridge, like a Ortofon 2M Black there is really no need to buy an expensive MC Cartridge and a MC phono stage. Instead you can use the money saved buying more records.

Best regards
Stephan

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 10:22am
Originally posted by nemu nemu wrote:

Hello everybody ..

First of all, please excuse my bad English.

Best regards
Stephan

I've spent some time looking for it, but I can't find it.

It's good to hear from another satisfied Accession owner.

-------------
Ifor
=====

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 10:40am
Welcome to the Forum and the Graham Slee Owners Club Stephan,
Glad to hear you're pleased with the Accession. You'll be surprised how it improves over the next few weeks.
I see you have active speakers, have you tried using the variable output to drive them directly, may well sound even better.

Happy Listening
Ian

-------------

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 11:13am
Another welcome from me Stephan, and thank you for the review. 

As you've only just powered the Accession up you'll find it will get even better over the next two weeks or so. Don't forget to leave it powered up all the time . . . Wink

-------------
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp

Date Posted: 13 Jan 2017 at 1:26pm

....Instead you can use the money saved buying more records.
Hello from me as well Stephan & congratulations on joining 'der Klub'. 

That last comment just about sums it up - the last phono stage I can see myself buying although styli are wearing out at a faster rate these days Wink

-------------
Andrew

Date Posted: 16 Jan 2017 at 6:20am
Thank you very much for your warm welcome.

The Accession is powered up since last thursday. Beeing on a short vacation, I did not have the chance to listen to it over the weekend. But will do so again tonight.

I did not try the variable output driving my active loudspeakers directly yet. For this I need some longer cables. But I will surely try this in the near future.

I wish you a happy start into the new week.
Stephan

Date Posted: 21 Aug 2019 at 2:31pm
Hello everybody!

In January 2017 I bought an Accession MM, mainly using it to listen to my "Ortofon 2M Black" and "Grado Reference 2". Both cartridges sound really well with the Accession.

Figure 1: Technics SL1200G, Grado Reference 2 and Graham Slee Accession

I also like to listen to booth of my Ortofon SPUs ("Ortofon SPU Classic GM E MKII" and a "Ortofon SPU Mono CG 25") very much. I am using these MC-Cartridges with a "Hashimoto HM7" (Gain 30x for GM E) and a "Sowter 1480" (Gain 5x for Mono) step up transformer. As phono preamp I used to prefer tube based ones very much. But lately I am enjoying very much replacing the tube based MM phono preamps with the Accession MM. This sounds really great. Not always as spectacular as with the tube based preamps but allways sounding very natural, well balanced and much closer to the reallity. Also you can hear lots more details.

Figure 2: Turntable with my Ortofon SPUs ("Ortofon SPU Classic GM E MKII"
   and a "Ortofon SPU Mono CG 25")

Figure 3: Step up transformers "Hashimoto HM7" (Gain 30x used for SPU GM E) and
   "Sowter 1480" (Gain 5x for SPU Mono)

Today I placed an order for an "Accession MC/Enigma" on Graham's Website. Now the waiting begins, probably 2-3 weeks as I understood. I am very curious how the Accession MC will sound with different MC cartridges ...

Best wishes from the river Rhine
Stephan 

Date Posted: 22 Aug 2019 at 8:16pm
My time will come!

-------------
Ifor
=====

Date Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 7:17am

My time will come!

It‘s all about the journey! Wink

Date Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 10:31am
Great setups - is that 2nd turntable a Blackbird Stephan?

-------------

Date Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 10:57am
Originally posted by RichW RichW wrote:

Great setups - is that 2nd turntable a Blackbird Stephan?

Thank you very much. You are very close Richard. The 2nd turntable is a Dr. Feickert Firebird.

Figure 1: "Firebird" with 12'' tonearms "Groovemaster II"

Date Posted: 23 Aug 2019 at 2:58pm

Today I placed an order for an "Accession MC/Enigma" on Graham's Website. Now the waiting begins, probably 2-3 weeks as I understood. I am very curious how the Accession MC will sound with different MC cartridges ...

The Accession MC allready arrived today. Thanks very much for the quick delivery.
I will try it out this weekend ...

-------------
Accession MM (PSU1), Accession MC (Enigma PSU1)

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 12.01 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2018 Web Wiz Ltd. - https://www.webwiz.net