FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Which turntable?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which turntable?
    Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 3:39pm
Triggered in part by other current threads, I thought I’d ask for opinions. You can take your time; I don’t do anything in a hurry.

Current TTs are an Inspire modified Manticore Mantra and and a Technics SL-7 linear tracker. For some years, a lot longer than Bob’s had his PTP Solid12, I’ve been lusting after a PTP Solid9 (not sure about tonearm; maybe Audiomods, but fancy Origin Live), but I’m now liking what I hear about the (ugly) Technics SL 1200G. It would be cheaper, has a hinged lid and all in all would be a simpler purchase.

So, what else, if anything, should I consider?  I won’t buy Rega or Project and don’t want a second suspended chassis deck.

If this turns into a general TT discussion thread without relevance to this original question, it’s fine by me. It should be interesting anyway.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
RichW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 3:59pm
The Roksan Xerxes 20+ is a great deck, although it is 'suspended' in a way with rubber-like
isolators. 
Once setup it hardly needs any messing about with. Not the deepest bass but 'tuneful'.
Must admit though the SL1200G would be top of the demo listSmile.
(The SRM Arezzo is good too that needs no fiddling withWink.)
Majestic/Enigma, Accession MM & MC.
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 4:09pm
I'd have a Technics SL1200G in a heartbeat.

The arm has one of the best manifestations of VTA adjustment ever devised.
The milled from solid aluminium top plate is beautifully executed.
The platter is of composite construction to quell bell node ringing.

The entire thing is a ground up new design, with a nod to the past with the aesthetics.

tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 8:28pm
I was pretty keen on the Dr Feickert Woodpecker before I invested in something rather more expensive.
IIRC Geoff Husband was fairly impressed with it when he reviewed it for TNT-audio
(his review of the Era Gold V started me as a customer of GSP)

Tony G
Cyreg View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cyreg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 8:40pm
Hello Ifor,
I did use Rega players for 25 years until 6 years ago, when I bought a Michell TecnoDec (never back!)

It has no suspension and it uses the better parts of a Michell Gyrodec:
the DC motor/PSU (no hum with volume wide open), the Delrin platter and the Inverted mainbearing

It also has a Rega RB250/TecnoWeight and the standard Michell clamp extra

I am using it very frequently with a Nagoka MP110 (already on second stylus) and shortly with the GramAmp2 Communicator/PSU1 which sounds very good all together IMO

Good luck Han
TecnoDec/RB250/MP110>GramAmp2C/PSU1; Cyrus CD8SE; Cyrus FM7 > Exposure XXXV > Harbeth C7ES-3 '35th Anniversary'
cabling: IC 3x DNM V3; LScable Exposure DMF-two; Furu TP60 + MWaY and AH! powercords   
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2018 at 10:45pm
I recall Ifor that your brother lived in or near Chester & if that is still the case you are more than welcome to drop by some time and have a listen to the 1200G via Reflex or Accession. 

It was bought mainly to be able to use various cartridges amassed over the years & because I'd sold sufficient unused hifi equipment to justify the cost. Previously I'd owned only belt driven turntables but had been impressed with other peoples 1200s or 1210s, so in spite of the looks (which I still don't really care for) both the new versions GR & G were auditioned.

They are similar sounding & it was only the fact that I had surplus cash from the selling spree that made me go for the more expensive one. Both have the most satisfying bass, pitch stability and imaging I have heard from a turntable & the G also produces a slightly more holographic soundstage but I doubt anyone would notice much difference unless listening side-by-side. 

The magnesium armtube is reputed to have a better resonance performance although whether this is noticeable in listening, I'm not sure. It certainly performs & tracks just as well as an Audiomods V used on another table - in fact because there is fractional play when tightening headshells, slight azimuth adjustment is possible & far easier than shimming the Audiomods. Bias can be adjusted on-the-fly and so can VTA if you are very careful (I guess all this is common to older 1200/1210s too)

Although we now spend months at a time with family overseas, when I'm home this gets a great deal of use and I still cannot find fault - it's the most satisfying turntable I have heard and very versatile in use (changing carts including VTA, VTF, bias etc takes literally couple of minutes). 

I have owned decks with suspended plinths which require periodical adjustment but these days I just want to play music & this is certainly a superbly engineered, fit & forget product which should easily outlast me.

Edited by Drewan77 - 23 Sep 2018 at 7:36am
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Sep 2018 at 10:06am
Thanks to all of you so far.

Chris, thanks for your thoughts; interesting.

Rich, I’ve never considered the Xerxes. It would be considerably more expensive, but if it grabs me it’s not necessarily a deal breaker.

Tony, the Feickert Woodpecker is one I’ve heard good things about and I enjoyed reading Geoff Husband’s review. Again it would be a step up in price and so far as I can see there isn’t currently a UK distributor. It appeals more than the Roksan.

Han, I know they’re very good, but the Michell just doesn’t appeal to me. Sorry!

Andrew, thanks for the offer; I just might take you up on it sometime and drag my brother-in-law along too.
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic