FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

Which is best for MI and MM?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
PaulRS View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 10:42am
Accession is in the house!
Plugged in and warming up....

If it helps anyone:
It took UPS 5 days to ship from the UK to my door.
Customs clearance took just over 1 day.
The HS code used to ship was 8518.40.80.
Malaysian customs clearance was done with HS code 8518.29.9000.

I note that if you live in Australia, India, Japan, New Zealand, Pakistan or South Korea your import tax is zero! Wow, i should move!

No Music, No Life!
Paul
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 1:55pm
Originally posted by PaulRS PaulRS wrote:

Oh, I see. It's a loudspeaker of an other type! I should have known Wink

Glad it arrived, eventually.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
PaulRS View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by Graham Slee Graham Slee wrote:

Originally posted by PaulRS PaulRS wrote:

Oh, I see. It's a loudspeaker of an other type! I should have known Wink

Glad it arrived, eventually.

They always think they know better!
The delivery guy said "If you don't agree i can take it back".
Guess what i said?

Actually, this is probably the fastest delivery ever (for me). 
No Music, No Life!
Paul
PaulRS View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jul 2019 at 2:45pm
4 hours in and i agree with all that has been said before so just a few comments. 
To me, i got LESS for my money!
Less surface noise, more music! Except for 2 LP's so i will clean those and try again.
Less time fiddling with knobs, more time enjoying the music.
Less desire to upgrade? Maybe, i will wait a few weeks before making any comparisons.  

As others have also said before i want to keep turning up the volume. I need my desert island.
All in all, i am one happy camperBig smile
No Music, No Life!
Paul
Aussie Mick View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aussie Mick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 12:01am
Woohoo!
Rega RP8 - Apheta 2 - Accession MC Enigma PS -Solo ULDE (Focal Utopia) - PS Audio M700 - Fical Kanta No2
smutly View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote smutly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2019 at 12:38pm
Nice! And just think, it'll probably only get better. Music, music and more music! Clap
PaulRS View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PaulRS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jul 2019 at 5:22pm

I did say i would wait a few weeks before giving a review but something happened and I cannot wait.

The Accession has been turned on for a total of 22 hours and playing for 10 hours.

TT’s in use are a Lenco 88/ linear tracker/London Decca Super Gold and a Thorens TD124/SME 3009/Goldring 1042.

I noticed that the linear arm gives very quiet playback compared to before but the SME arm gives emphasised clicks for the first 5-8 minutes of most LP’s so I need to check alignment. Both have less general noise than with my old tube phono stage.

After playing my normal Bowie, Cure, Lou Reed some reggae and female jazz I do hear some differences. 

Decades ago a policeman put his head inside my Mini and said “Oh, you drive around in a permanent fog” (I have always been a heavy smoker). He made me clean the inside of the windscreen before letting me go. After cleaning the windscreen the world looked cleaner. Today my music sounds cleaner in the same way.

My soundstage has improved, vocals are more forward and in front of the speakers, before they were either in line or slightly behind. The soundstage width is slightly wider in general.

I decided to try classical LP’s and the world turned upside down and I swear there was an earthquake!

I played Holst’s Planets (HMV (EMI), Andre Previn, LSO).

I know or at least I thought I knew this LP very well. When I finally got out of my chair i felt many emotions. Mars was not just menacing it was violent, I was beaten up, other passages gave me some TLC and nursed me with sweet soothing mids and highs. I went through a cold sweat, twice. Bass hit me in the chest a few times. Brass blare is so natural. I have never heard this LP or any other LP affect me this way. Incredible!

Edited by PaulRS - 28 Jul 2019 at 5:23pm
No Music, No Life!
Paul
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
  Share Topic