FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

When the sky is the limit

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Eric View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: When the sky is the limit
    Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 8:52pm
It seems to me that many people here has deep knowledge in phono amp technology and/or design.
Has there been any discussion to develope an state of the art phono amp without any cost limit? Or are they already developed by Graham?
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 9:17pm
Graham has the skills/experience/ability but not the funds to do this - reading the regular posts he makes on this forum or listening to the products shows the level of perfection he aspires to. 

Unless someone is prepared to invest cost-no-limit then what we have is already exceptional & even so, I'm sceptical that there would be much further 'improvement'.

I have yet to meet a knowledgeable audio enthusiast who doesn't hold the Graham Slee brand in high regard yet sadly, relatively few of us actually seem to purchase the products. Cry
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
BackinBlack View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BackinBlack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 9:22pm
That's an interesting question. Having followed much of Grahams design reasoning, it does seem to me that it is the principles of design that are most important and the selection of the most appropriate components rather than the most expensive ones.
It is more than likely that the biggest costs in developing "state of the art" products are the designers time and relevant test equipment.
The most valuable element is undoubtably the designers skill and experience, in which regard we are lucky to have Graham and his team.
I'm sure Graham will have a view on what might be possible given unlimited funds.

Just listen, if it sounds good to you, enjoy it.
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 9:24pm
Interesting question, I am sure there will be lots of differing views.

Some would argue they have if you look at price alone there are a number of very pricey phono stages as in £4K, £5k and more.

I have not tried any and unless I come in to a few £m have no intention to. They may be excellent, they may be overpriced average performers so without a direct comparison it would be difficult to comment further.

Graham is a firm believer in his engineering and who are we to doubt it unless any of us have experiences of other significantly higher priced stages.
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2017 at 9:47pm
In the game of phono stage top trumps I did find one offering at £39k!!!

Will stick with my accession I think.
Graham Slee View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group
Retired

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Slee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jul 2017 at 8:52am
If I were not so silly and incorporated all my development time into the price, and obviously put the product in a large sculptured ornamental box, I could easily justify a much, much higher price for my products.

There would be no need to change the circuitry because it already goes as far as any money-is-no-object product - in fact much further because I spend my time on circuit research and development rather than on creating an appearance.

But I would be denying those on more meagre incomes the chance of listening to the splendour of all their music.

And in doing so I would be hiding my own talent under a bushel which goes against my personal beliefs.
That none should be able to buy or sell without a smartphone and the knowledge in how to use apps
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic