FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

What's with the bad rap about Grado cartridges?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
RussL View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RussL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Nov 2019 at 11:36pm
Hi guys - first post.  Got back into vinyl several weeks ago after a 40 year absence (digital only between now and then, computer audio in particular).  Got the vinyl bug when cleaning up in the basement and rediscovered a (mint) Technics SL-1200Mk.II TT given to me by my son in 2013 but never used.

Immediately took the TT to KAB Electro Acoutics in NJ to have it modded by Kevin (tonearm damper, new thrust pad, new wiring, etc.) including installing a Grado Gold2 cartridge. In the past month I've listened to an assortment of both old, very old and newly purchased LPs.  I'm very happy with what i'm hearing.

Not a single tracking problem or any noise issue when the tonearm nears the end of play (my NHTs are fairly efficient) and my fully balanced system is in general dead silent.  I listen to the big picture, don't really zone in on any particular area of the sound so I won't comment there (for now).

After a month of listening the upgrade bug has hit (of course) and I'll be posting shortly in the phono stage forum looking to upgrade there.  Also, Soundsmith and VPI are local and attend some of our club meetings (hint, hint).😀

Russ

Technics SL-1200Mk.II TT with KAB mods, Grado Gold2 cartridge, Bryston 0.5B phone stage (balanced), Emotiva XMC-1 prepro, Emotiva XPA-1L monoblocks, NHT 2.9 speakers
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2019 at 3:45pm
Originally posted by RussL RussL wrote:

Hi guys - first post.  Got back into vinyl several weeks ago after a 40 year absence (digital only between now and then, computer audio in particular).  Got the vinyl bug when cleaning up in the basement and rediscovered a (mint) Technics SL-1200Mk.II TT given to me by my son in 2013 but never used.

Immediately took the TT to KAB Electro Acoutics in NJ to have it modded by Kevin (tonearm damper, new thrust pad, new wiring, etc.) including installing a Grado Gold2 cartridge. In the past month I've listened to an assortment of both old, very old and newly purchased LPs.  I'm very happy with what i'm hearing.

Not a single tracking problem or any noise issue when the tonearm nears the end of play (my NHTs are fairly efficient) and my fully balanced system is in general dead silent.  I listen to the big picture, don't really zone in on any particular area of the sound so I won't comment there (for now).

After a month of listening the upgrade bug has hit (of course) and I'll be posting shortly in the phono stage forum looking to upgrade there.  Also, Soundsmith and VPI are local and attend some of our club meetings (hint, hint).😀

Russ

KAB makes some interesting stuff for the 1200s. The tonearm damper should help with carts that aren't the best trackers or carts that are slightly too compliant for the 1200 arm. 

My next TT upgrade will likely be a 1200 MK7 or 1200 GR...hopefully some time in 2020. 

The loaner program is the best way to test out a phono stage. 

SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
Lucabeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucabeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2023 at 8:36am
I finally encountered a weakness in the Grado (apart from its "soft" presentation which is not suited for some kinds of music, but which is a strong point for other kinds).

Yesterday I was playing an original pressing of Frank Sinatra's "My way". It's not warped in the normal sense of the word. You don't see the record's edge doing a wave during playing. But it has a rather uneven thickness on the beginning of side B. Not much, it's just 1-2 mm. With all my other cartridges, I have never noticed it in YEARS when playing this record.

Yesterday, I used the Grado (because it fits Sinatra very well sonically). Oh, my... that minor but rather sharp increase in thickess made the cartridge go crazy, the cantilever was jumping up and down like a pogo stick. That small bump was exciting a resonant frequence that refused to die for several revolutions. I don't have the tonearm damper, but I suspect it wouldn't do much becuase it's meant for horizontal resonance. It still tracked, but it was very very bad to look at, and also audibile with a thumping bass pulsating sound.

One of the quirks of Grado, I guess...

Edited by Lucabeer - 21 Apr 2023 at 9:53am
Lucabeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucabeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2023 at 10:02am
I re-tested the resonance: after all, since my initial tests, 100 more hours of use have passed, and the suspension has got looser.

Horizontal test: the new stylus oscillated at 9 Hz, now it oscillates between 7 and 11 hz, and the oscillation at 9 Hz is very strong.

Vertical test: the resonance peak was at 11 hz, now it seems to have gone higher, around 13-14 Hz.

13-14 Hz starts to be near the critical zone, I guess, which probably explains the audible behaviour I met with the Sinatra record.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2023 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by Lucabeer Lucabeer wrote:

I re-tested the resonance: after all, since my initial tests, 100 more hours of use have passed, and the suspension has got looser.

Horizontal test: the new stylus oscillated at 9 Hz, now it oscillates between 7 and 11 hz, and the oscillation at 9 Hz is very strong.

Vertical test: the resonance peak was at 11 hz, now it seems to have gone higher, around 13-14 Hz.

13-14 Hz starts to be near the critical zone, I guess, which probably explains the audible behaviour I met with the Sinatra record.

Are you able to make a short digital recording - directly from the phono stage? At any rate, I still think the KAB damper could be worth trying (I have one), though I can't guarantee it will fix this specific issue with the Sinatra record. In general it should improve the tracking of most cartridges, but particularly those that are rated at 20CU compliance and higher.
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
Lucabeer View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lucabeer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2023 at 5:49pm
My PC is a tower workstation, I would need to move it near the turntable. After this long holiday (it's end of WW2 festivities in Italy), I will do it!
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2023 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by Lucabeer Lucabeer wrote:

My PC is a tower workstation, I would need to move it near the turntable. After this long holiday (it's end of WW2 festivities in Italy), I will do it!

Enjoy the holiday. All you need to do is record approximately 1 minute or a little less of ordinary music. Just make the sure the record is flat and well-centered. From there we can look at what the cartridge is doing in software.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
  Share Topic