FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

What prompted you to buy a GSP product?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
Poll Question: Did you buy GSP after:
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
65 [31.10%]
13 [6.22%]
4 [1.91%]
14 [6.70%]
113 [54.07%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What prompted you to buy a GSP product?
    Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 3:18pm
You can vote multiple times in this poll as you may have bought your Graham Slee product after doing more than one of the above, and you maybe have a different response if you have more than one item.

The Poll software only allows 5 choices, so if you bought after reading a review could you post here saying if the review was in print or online, or was a user review from this forum, please?

Also post here if the choices don't cover your experience - any influences on your purchase decisions you care to share would be most welcome.

Many thanks! Thumbs Up
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
morris_minor View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote morris_minor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 3:20pm
I've started the  ball rolling . . 

My first piece of GSP kit was the Era Gold V bought on the strength of online reviews.

Other pieces were a result of the forum loan scheme, and GSP's reputation.

Edited by morris_minor - 29 Aug 2013 at 5:05pm
Bob

Majestic DAC/pre-amp
Accession MC/Enigma, Accession MM, Reflex M, Elevator EXP, Era Gold V
Solo ULDE, Novo, Lautus USB and digital, Libran balanced, CuSat50
2 x Proprius + Spatia/Spatia Links
suede View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote suede Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 3:32pm
It was an online review for the Grado GS1000i in which the Solo used was highly praised as well. It got me intrigued so I did some light research before deciding to take the great chance of purchasing it without having heard it beforehand. It turned out to be a great buy indeed and later led to the purchases of CuSat 50's, a Reflex M and Spatia cables and links. Now I'm hoping to get a pair of Proprii next.

Edited by suede - 29 Aug 2013 at 3:35pm
Proprius, Reflex M, Solo UL, Bitzie, CuSats & Spatia
---------------------------------
Johan
ICL1P View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ICL1P Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 3:44pm
On line comments/reviews pointed me toward the forum, which in turn led to a home loan.  Resistance is futile!
Ifor
=====
Reflex M & ACCESSION M, CuSat50, Majestic DAC, a Proprius pair.
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 4:43pm
I had become aware of GSP over a couple of years via various reviews, audio forums and dealer comments, never actively looking to purchase anything but the impression was always positive

When I replaced my turntable in early 2012, the dealer encouraged me to buy another brand of phono stage and I also asked to audition a Gram-Amp 2SE because he lists GSP products as part of his range and I wanted to see for myself

He obtained a trial sample (in a deeper plastic case I recall, not as shown on the current GSP website) but gave no advice about burn-in etc. I had it for 4 or 5 days

My method of audition was to play for a few hours through one phono stage, then the same albums with the other. However, I used a single wall socket (the only one free), therefore always listening to each 'cold'. As a result, I chose the other brand because the 2SE sounded thin and quite brittle even though the dynamics and musicality were clearly there. I really wanted to like it but I did not know that I should allow a few days for it to settle

Later on in 2012, after replacing other elements of my system, vinyl was sounding inferior to the digital sources and I was restless. I happened to see a second hand Reflex for sale at a really good price and had already discovered (by stumbling on this forum) that the phono stage should have been powered up continuously so I took a chance

Probably because this was pre-owned, it sounded pretty good from the start and after a few days, really great. Suffice to say that I have subsequently arranged to upgrade this to the latest Reflex-M spec. I have also used the loan scheme to audition and purchase cables for my complete system

It's a real pity when a dealer does not understand or educate customers properly about the need to listen over an extended period - I wonder how many others have had a brief audition and failed to realise just how special this equipment is?
Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
tg [RIP] View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tg [RIP] Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 5:39pm

Looking for reviews of a pair of speakers on that auction site led me to discover tnt-audio and their style and non-commercial approach impressed me enough to read more on their site.

Having resurrected my old Sansui turntable and already discovered the delights of better cartridges I was unknowingly on a path to serious investment in audio.  Being still in frugal mode at that time, I did try one of their recommendations for a cheapie phono stage that they endorsed and was suitably impressed when that bettered the built-in stage of my then NAD 7225 receiver.

I then purchased a fairly new P2 with a nice DV 10x5 cartridge and the seeds of penury were well sown.  I enquired of the former owner what phono stage he had been using and he kindly loaned me the DV-P75 that he had been using.  The price was a little disturbing, but it did nice things for the DV cartridge but was not as impressive with the DL-110 that I paradoxically preferred.

I knew then that I would need to spend around that amount at least to obtain the betterment that I sought.  My candidates narrowed down to Trichord, Lehmann & GSP.

None were available for audition here and even dealers for the former 2 were difficult to track down.

I then read Geoff Husbands review on tnt-audio and noted both his outstanding evaluation of the Era Gold V/Exp combination and also gathered something of the determination of the man behind them who seemed to keep trying until he came up with something very special.  I read something of Geoffs conversations with Graham and learnt more both about his attitudes and the need for constant power on.  I was to learn more of the reasoning behind this later from other sources and my own and others experiences with various other equipment which also benefits in like manner.

By then quite enthusiastic about the prospect of trying the Era Gold V and having steeled myself for the cost, I discovered that the Australian dealer, decibelhifi in Brisbane, offered 14 days free return, my fate was sealed. Wink   I ordered and paid for it and when it arrived, I found it did all that the DV stage did for the DV cartridge and more and that it also did as much for the Denon.

There was never any risk that it would go back.

It would be fair to say that the 3 factors in my decision were, in reverse order, the availablity of a fairly risk free trial, an outstanding review (seconded by one M. Fremer of some note) and the very positive impression of the designer that I had gained.

Subsequently I have upgraded to the Reflex when it came out, then added the Exp and now the Revelation, of which I may have more to say when it is fully developed and I have opportunity to put it through its paces.  I have also added a Solo and various cables and built a Genera, all of which have proved my faith in our hosts ability to use both his knowledge and his ears to achieve exceedingly gratifying results.

I have been known to loan the EGV out after I obtained the Reflex, with the effect of adding more happy users to the family, although, unlike Bob, I did eventually let it go to a new home.

I would echo your closing sentiments Andrew, at least our nearly sole dealer out here is prepared to offer the 14 day return to allow folk to trial at leisure.  Hopefully he will continue to prosper.

Edited by tg - 01 Sep 2017 at 1:52am
Tony G
LOINER View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LOINER Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Aug 2013 at 6:06pm
A couple of months ago i decided i needed a new headphone amplifier, the one i had was finding it hard to drive the (higher impedence)new sennheisers.I started to do some research.
A look through the Buyers Guide at the back of What HiFi to see what was available and what was worth putting on a short list,anyway narrowed my choice down to two,and both were expensive £600+but what the hell i wanted quality One was made by somebody called Graham Slee and produced right here in YORKSHIRE the other somewhere down south, unfortunately the local dealer here in LEEDS doesnt stock either allthough he stocks the electronica made by the other company.So lets see if we can find some reviews.Googling headphone amplifiers brought up a host of web sites and reviews were read but the only ones i could find were for Graham Slees products I also managed to find some reviews on a certain site that are buyer reviews and all except one were quite positive.
the negative one was from somebody who thought the Nova he had purchased sounded worse than the headphone out on his integrated amp and to ignore the 200hrs burn in time and send the HP amp straight back(and yes i can see the 2 obvious flaws in that argument)anyway i dismissed him as an anal orifice although he did nearly put me of my purchase. By this time i had also found Graham Slees website and read some good things about their products but then i would would i not?
Anyway a couple of weeks of deliberating (£600+ could turn out to be a bloody expensive mistake)
and there was still no sign of a local supplier)i logged on to the GSP website and hit the button to buy
Eleven days later a parcel arrived on my doorstep and my ears told me i had not made a mistake
it was one of the best HiFi (in the true meaning of HiFi)purchases i had ever made
So a happy ending and who doesn't like happy endings and there is my story of how i got where i am now.

Edited by LOINER - 29 Aug 2013 at 6:07pm
STUART
SOLO ULTRA LINEAR DIAMOND EDITION
LAUTUS DUAL MONO 1.5M INTERCONNECTS
GRAM AMP 2SE
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
  Share Topic