FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Club

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee audio product wishing to use our loaner program: join here
Subscribe to our newsletter here (Rules on posting can be found here)

What music has impressed you today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 301302303
Author
TheScorpionsTale View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheScorpionsTale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jun 2021 at 8:21am
I'll have to beg your indulgence if I'm lowering the tone here. I've always been attracted by the offbeat, and by chance came across this British band: Girl One And The Grease Guns - now sadly disbanded.

According to Bandcamp, they formed in 2012, released various singles, an album (Night Of The Living Electrical Appliances - gives you an idea of what to expect) a mini album, and a compilation of their singles on CD. They made no live appearances, and kept their identities a secret, which remains.

To my ears their electronic keyboards, jangly guitar and female vocals bring to mind a sort of cross between an upbeat Au Revoir Simone and the 1980s British band The Primitives.

He's A Replicant, She Sits In The Freezer and Here Come The Catastrophe Machines are but three tracks. If I haven't put you off already, take a listen on Bandcamp. There is some vinyl still available, and CDs as well as downloads. Enjoy!

Graham

SL1200 II with SME M2-9R and various carts / Revelation M with PSU-1 / Cyrus amp, CD and streamer / Kralk Audio BC30-3 Floorstanders
elwood p dowd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elwood p dowd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by TheScorpionsTale TheScorpionsTale wrote:

I'll have to beg your indulgence if I'm lowering the tone here. I've always been attracted by the offbeat, and by chance came across this British band: Girl One And The Grease Guns - now sadly disbanded.

wouldn't be surprised to find out that a lot of the manhattan love suicides were involved, caroline especially
they even share some song titles ;-)

this is why events unnerve me
TheScorpionsTale View Drop Down
Regular
Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheScorpionsTale Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2021 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by elwood p dowd elwood p dowd wrote:

Originally posted by TheScorpionsTale TheScorpionsTale wrote:

wouldn't be surprised to find out that a lot of the manhattan love suicides were involved, caroline especially
they even share some song titles ;-)

...and share one of the record labels (Squirrel).

Oh wow, I see what you mean. This is just my thing (well, one of my many disparate things). TMLS hadn't crossed my horizon till now. Thanks for posting. Thumbs Up I feel my wallet opening...
Graham

SL1200 II with SME M2-9R and various carts / Revelation M with PSU-1 / Cyrus amp, CD and streamer / Kralk Audio BC30-3 Floorstanders
elwood p dowd View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote elwood p dowd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2021 at 8:52am
my pleasure
been a while since have listened to au revoir simone, that's this afternoon's listening sorted

this is why events unnerve me
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 301302303
  Share Topic