FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

What music has impressed you today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 292293294295296 397>
Author
kgilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by lfc jon lfc jon wrote:

Hi Keith
I have a few albums done by Abbey Road at half speed I don't think it's luck. there was a two page article in wh-t hifi about the man that cuts them it made interesting reading (he took pride in his work) He has to listen to them at that speed too that's a job in it's self

I agree.  As so often is the case the Mastering makes a big difference. 

There used to be a US company called Nautilus Recordings in the late 70's early 80's that produced SuperDiscs using half speed mastering. They were also one of the first to use digital techniques.
There are mixed reviews of these but I have Fleetwood Macs Rumours and Clapton's Just One Night which both sound good.  Must admit though that the 45 rpm reissue of Rumours is better.

Edited by kgilroy - 29 Nov 2020 at 12:10pm
Keith

Marantz TT-15S1, Maestro V2, Accession MM, Icon Audio Stereo 40 Mk lll, Wharfedale Jade 3.

Mac Mini, BitPerfect, Dynaudio Xeo2

Marantz SA-15S1, Apple TV, Cambridge CXA60, B&W DM2000, REL Sub
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Nov 2020 at 10:44pm
Today's pick is the debut album by the Bluetones, Expecting to Fly. 

SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2020 at 5:08pm
Just got it today, 1st time in a record shop after the lockdown. I was listening to it in the shop. SMOKE FAIRIES, Darkness Brings The Wonders Home. A nice bit of Indie Rock. A vary good recording and sounds far better on my turntable
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
Godra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Godra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2020 at 7:47pm
Money Jungle from Duke Ellington, Max Roach and Charles Mingus.  
Clearaudio Performance DC with Clarify tonearm + Virtuoso V2, Tannoy Legacy Eaton, Accession MM and BAT VK300Xse
kgilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kgilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2020 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by Godra Godra wrote:

Money Jungle from Duke Ellington, Max Roach and Charles Mingus.  
Good choice.  In a similar vein I also like Duke's Big 4 on Pablo Records with Joe Pass on guitar and Piano in the Foreground on Classic Records.
Keith

Marantz TT-15S1, Maestro V2, Accession MM, Icon Audio Stereo 40 Mk lll, Wharfedale Jade 3.

Mac Mini, BitPerfect, Dynaudio Xeo2

Marantz SA-15S1, Apple TV, Cambridge CXA60, B&W DM2000, REL Sub
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Dec 2020 at 7:14pm

Latest album from this independent ambient artist. Available on double glass-mastered CD or download through Bandcamp. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
Godra View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Godra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2020 at 4:40pm
All Rise. Gregory Porter. Really one of his greatest records. One of my favorite of his discography. 
Clearaudio Performance DC with Clarify tonearm + Virtuoso V2, Tannoy Legacy Eaton, Accession MM and BAT VK300Xse
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 292293294295296 397>
  Share Topic