FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

What music has impressed you today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 256257258259260 397>
Author
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 11:35pm
Originally posted by Richardl60 Richardl60 wrote:

Don’t laugh at this one please!  Monkees greatest hits (Friday Music) has all their best hits on it and unlike a CD I bought a few years ago very listenable.

Music (in my opinion very good), pressing good and other than a bit of recorded rumble between a few tracks sonically far better than I expected.  Wide image, good depth, pure with tight well controlled bass not lacking in any way.  I had expected it to appear over (or inadequately) produced- vocals a bit raw on an odd track - the recordings do vary a bit in production terms but a thoroughly enjoyable half hours listening and in a reality a good recording.

If you fancy the best of this is a good one to try.
I'm only 34 and I like the Monkees! Music is still music if you ask me, although it does require a real person to sing, unlike a lot of today's offerings...If it can sound better live than recorded, it's a winner.

I am trying to expose my boys to as much as possible so that they grow up appreciating good music; I grew up listening to the stuff my parents grew upto and still love my Rock'n Roll now!

What format did you buy that album on?

Edited by miT - 10 Aug 2019 at 11:36pm
Richardl60 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Richardl60 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Aug 2019 at 11:45pm
vinyl by ‘Friday music’ from Diverse Vinyl.
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 8:42pm
I have made a few interesting discoveries in my few years absence from this forum. After working through the Eric Clapton recommendations you wonderful fellows gave me and falling in love with the MTV Unplugged album (I literally could listen to the whole album on repeat and still enjoy it), I started discovering other live albums and came across Within Temptation.

They are an Austrian (or German?) symphonic metal band (surprisingly more chilled than it sounds) but this acoustic concert is sublime and possibly a tie to the EC one mentioned above. I can't comment on the quality of recording due to my abysmal system at the moment but hopefully you may find it enjoyable too.

Edited by miT - 13 Aug 2019 at 8:43pm
Drewan77 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Drewan77 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 8:57pm
If you enjoyed that Tim, you should watch the opening of their 'Black Symphony'.... spine tingling! & my all time favourite opening live track.

Older than I once was, younger than I'll be
Andrew
miT View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 9:35pm
Originally posted by Drewan77 Drewan77 wrote:

If you enjoyed that Tim, you should watch the opening of their 'Black Symphony'.... spine tingling! & my all time favourite opening live track.

Is that the concert? I have it on Bluray but have only managed the opening because my wife also wanted to watch it. That was three years ago... Confused They are amazing.

Due to watching the below clip at a demo on a £150k Steinway Lyngdorf system* a fair few years (and systems!) ago, I also bought Adele: Live at The Albert Hall. I had not bothered to listen to her music up to that point out of choice but hearing her live version of Someone Like You is almost enough to bring you to tears! Such an emotionally charged performance and played loud enough with that intimate mic'ing, shivers down the spine!

https://youtu.be/lWsO41YkYpY

And no I have not bothered with her stuff since, but at least I know who she is now. LOL

*For clarification, the dealer wanted everyone to listen to it even though I was demoing about £2k worth of speakers... The £250k stereo system was even more breathtaking.

Edited by miT - 13 Aug 2019 at 9:38pm
Chris Firth View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Chris Firth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Aug 2019 at 10:19pm
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Aug 2019 at 12:25am
Not a big headphone guy but occasionally use them at my desk. Today I listened to the 2015 HD Tracks 24/96 Stereo version of the Who Sell Out. I really like this album but there is a ton of detail in it I never noticed before. 
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 256257258259260 397>
  Share Topic