FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

What music has impressed you today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 324325326327328 398>
Author
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Jan 2022 at 8:50pm
Level 42 "A Physical Presence" a live album 1985
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 8:38pm
Today's pick is "Strong Reaction" by Pegboy, originally released in 1991. Pegboy were a melodic, rough sounding punk rock band that I believe had a member or two from Naked Raygun after that band split up. The sound is definitely in the same vein as NR. My copy is a 2008 reissue on Quarterstick Records, the same label that first put the album out. It was cut by John Golden and pressed at RTI.

Here's the title track off the album.

SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
TimW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 8:57pm
Thanks for this one David. Not come across Pegboy before. In 1991 it was all shoegaze for me here in the UK.

However, I recently read Michael Azerrad’s excellent book Our Band Could Be Your Life (Scenes from the American Underground 1981-1991). Not all the bands included are my cup of tea, but it did send me down a rabbit hole of US independent / punk / noise / hardcore bands. I ended up with a load of LPs added to my “Want List”. As all good music books should do.

The book is highly recommended for anyone with even a passing interest in the independent music scene. Some great stories of touring in clapped out vans, playing to five people in a restaurant and sleeping on fans’ living room floors. Plus of course the music and how these “kids” literally made the scene.
L*nn LP12, Jelco 750D, AT440MLb / Technics 1200 MKII (Various Carts) / GS Gram Amp 2 SE / Audiolab and Arcam Amplification / Mission 752 Freedom / Dynaudio Audience 42
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Jan 2022 at 9:38pm
Originally posted by TimW TimW wrote:

Thanks for this one David. Not come across Pegboy before. In 1991 it was all shoegaze for me here in the UK.

However, I recently read Michael Azerrad’s excellent book Our Band Could Be Your Life (Scenes from the American Underground 1981-1991). Not all the bands included are my cup of tea, but it did send me down a rabbit hole of US independent / punk / noise / hardcore bands. I ended up with a load of LPs added to my “Want List”. As all good music books should do.

The book is highly recommended for anyone with even a passing interest in the independent music scene. Some great stories of touring in clapped out vans, playing to five people in a restaurant and sleeping on fans’ living room floors. Plus of course the music and how these “kids” literally made the scene.

Oh, I loved shoegaze but was a bit of a latecomer to that stuff. By the time I heard most of the bands it was already '98 or so and most of them split or went on hiatus. Here in the U.S. there were shoegaze bands but most of them were not as good as the better UK bands. The bands over here that used shoegaze as a jumping off point and figured out how to do their own thing were better.

Two of my favorites are:

Difference Engine - Breadmaker

Lilys - Eccsame The Photon Band

That's a pretty famous book that has been on my radar a few times over the years but I never got around to reading it. That whole type of model pioneered during the period covered in that book continued here into the rest of the 90s. I remember going to shows at VFW halls, basements, coffee shops, back areas of record shops, etc. during the mid/late 90s.

Every town/region had their own little scene and various bands would come through with the local acts doing the opener. Many of the recordings don't really do justice to the music I saw back then, because most of those bands just couldn't afford a great studio/production job. It was all very DIY and low budget.

Edited by patientot - 06 Jan 2022 at 9:39pm
SL-1200 MK7 (modified) + Reflex M + PSU-1 used with AT150-40ML, AT VM95ML, Stanton 680mkII + Ogura, and Shure M35X cartridges.
TimW View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote TimW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Jan 2022 at 7:27pm
Thanks for those tips David. The Lilys I’m aware of because of the connection to SpinArt Records (great label who we licensed a couple of tracks from when I was at Cherry Red Records in the 90s), but not come across Difference Engine. I’ll seek them out.
L*nn LP12, Jelco 750D, AT440MLb / Technics 1200 MKII (Various Carts) / GS Gram Amp 2 SE / Audiolab and Arcam Amplification / Mission 752 Freedom / Dynaudio Audience 42
patientot View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patientot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 6:52pm
Today's pick is "662" by Christone "Kingfish" Ingram. I knew nothing about this album before hearing it, other than that it was electric blues/blues rock type music. A friend gave me this record as a gift and I'm digging it.

Fatmangolf View Drop Down
Moderator Group
Moderator Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Fatmangolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jan 2022 at 8:05pm
An excellent choice!
Jon

Open mind and ears whilst owning GSP Genera, Accession M, Accession MC, Elevator EXP, Solo ULDE, Proprius amps, Cusat50 cables, Lautus digital cable, Spatia cables and links, and a Majestic DAC.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 324325326327328 398>
  Share Topic