FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome to the Graham Slee Audio Products Owners Forum

Open to all owners plus those contemplating the purchase of a Graham Slee HiFi System Components audio product and wishing to use this forum's loaner program: join here (Rules on posting can be found here)

This website along with trade marks Graham Slee and HiFi System Components are owned by Cadman Enterprises Ltd

What music has impressed you today?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 291292293294295 398>
Author
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 7:27pm
Frank
I to find that amazon is not that reliable  for this information Discogs are a lot better. A mate of mine has email the label and the recording studio to get this information but said you don't always get a answer he did say that the smaller companies are a lot better in replying. But that said a recording weather in digital or analog if done good will sound good. As they say It's all down to the mastering. I have Pink Floyd TDSOTM on CD ( don't know when I got it but it was over 20 years ago ) and last year I got the same album remastered on vinyl and IMO it did't sound as good as the CD (vary disappointed) and by the way the CD was mastered in digital It says so on the CD it's self. I have listen to the original 1973 vinyl WOW that was a lot better, but I have not got round buying a copy yet 
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
fluddite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fluddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Nov 2020 at 11:34pm
Originally posted by mdnicke2 mdnicke2 wrote:

The more I listen to Flaming Pie the more I think it is a masterpiece. I really want to track down an original vinyl version but only if it is all analog. Anyone happen to know if it would be?

I should also have added a link to the (perhaps predictably) obsessive discussion of the audio merits/demerits of every conceivable iteration of Flaming Pie on the Hoffman forums: http://https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/paul-mccartney-flaming-pie-archive-collection-sound-quality-discussion.982402/ - frequency spectrum graphs, inverted polarity, warts 'n' all.... Wacko 

FWIW, page 6 of said discussion has some reference to "analogue master tapes" as well as DAT files - tho' on what authority I'm not sure. And there seems to be quite a lot of love for the 2LP half-speed remaster - flatness issues notwithstanding....
fluddite View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fluddite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 12:29am
Originally posted by lfc jon lfc jon wrote:

Frank
I to find that amazon is not that reliable  for this information Discogs are a lot better. A mate of mine has email the label and the recording studio to get this information but said you don't always get a answer he did say that the smaller companies are a lot better in replying. But that said a recording weather in digital or analog if done good will sound good. As they say It's all down to the mastering. I have Pink Floyd TDSOTM on CD ( don't know when I got it but it was over 20 years ago ) and last year I got the same album remastered on vinyl and IMO it did't sound as good as the CD (vary disappointed) and by the way the CD was mastered in digital It says so on the CD it's self. I have listen to the original 1973 vinyl WOW that was a lot better, but I have not got round buying a copy yet 

Hi Jon

Absolutely agree with you on Discogs reliability vis-a-vis A****n! Unfortunately, the Discogs entries for 1997 originals of Flaming Pie are unforthcoming on the recording/mastering details - as is often the case with their info on 1990s releases in my experience.

More broadly, you're of course Dead Right that quality recording and mastering in any format will sound good - providing the music's worth listening to in the first place! Of course, pre-digital (taking c.1980-81 as a loose historical "turning point) the choices were easier and more limited - though I'm often still amazed not just at the differences between mono and stereo versions of the same record, but at the frequent mix/EQ differences between (say) 1970s reissues of 50s or 60s LPs and their original iterations (and that's putting aside the infamies of "mono electronically rechannelled for stereo" Wink). As for different vinyl pressings from different countries (or even different plants within the same country for big-selling titles) - that sort of thing can be both obvious (Japanese and German pressings were coveted by me and my mates even as teenagers - they self-evidently sounded better and had much quieter surfaces) and so arcane that even the Hoffmanites disappear down their own matrix-listing rabbit-holes when discussing them.

Since red book CD became the (then) consumer default in the mid-1980s, we've had such a welter of digital options - increasingly augmented by "legacy" remasterings/expansions/"deluxe" repackagings aimed squarely at the 50+ solvent male Mojo/Uncut demographic - that it's become well-nigh impossible to keep up. How many versions of even your favouritest albums do sensible listeners really need? And is optimum purity/precision/faithfulness of sound always what we want anyway? Case in point: my remastered CD copy of A Love Supreme is almost certainly closer to the sound of the master tapes than my LP copy (a slightly battered Jasmine 1980s repress) - and I'm as sure as dammit that my audio Blu-Ray copy is much closer again. But when I want to listen to Love Supreme, I'll almost certainly reach for the vinyl - because that's the version I'm most used to hearing, or (to put it another way) the set of filters and expectations through which I experience it. Which is not to say that new formats or new remasterings are invalid - often (like new/superior playback equipment - step forward GS!) they can make us hear the familiar in A Whole New Way. Having said which, my elderly/crotchety ears and habits usually make me want to track down vinyl versions of things I want, even when I know that the original recordings are digital and - by their very nature - involve more technical compromises in being mastered for LP than for CD (let alone for various iterations of apparently/allegedly "lossless" Hi-Res files - currently up to 24/384 and counting?). As they say - go figure! Embarrassed
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 2:28pm
Hi Frank
WOW that reply was well written. I wish I could put words together like that.
As you say may be I am more used to hearing the CD version of that album, I don't know? May be I should listen to both again and now with the HiFi I have now as it's been some time since I have played that album on CD, when I played the vinyl there was something missing I just could not put a finger on it just something was not there (if you know what I mean) or it COULD be my ears are now OLDER
Reflex M, Solo (both with PSU-1) CuSat50, Lautus, Spatia & Spatia links cables. Ortofon Bronze.
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 4:36pm
Frank
just a update.
As I am playing TDSOTM. I have done a caparison of the two ( just two tracks) and I have pin pointed what was missing, It was nothing, It was that the vinyl version was warmer than the CD album I just can't believe I did not see (hear) that before. I would like to do a caparison of the original and the 2016 remaster but as I have said I have not got a copy.
Still I would like to know what was wrong with the 2016 remaster as three years later I see they are selling the 2019 remaster, or is it a ploy by the record company to sell more CDs and vinyl records of TDSOTM to bump up their sells and make more money out of us? I think I have answered my own question.
kgilroy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kgilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 10:01pm
Talking about remastering - I just received my half speed mastered version of the new Bob Marley and the Wailers Exodus release.  Now, there are so many releases of this album since 1977 that it's hard to keep track but IMHO this has the best sound that I have heard - which includes an original LP that many consider the best.

I have had good luck with other half speed mastered albums in the past including Disraeli Gears (Abbey Road). This was not a particularly well recorded album to start with but my half speed remastered version beats the Japanese pressing which I also have.

Record companies are certainly taking advantage of the new high level of interest in vinyl by remastering and releasing "old favorites" but I for one am quite happy about it.
Keith

Marantz TT-15S1, Maestro V2, Accession MM, Icon Audio Stereo 40 Mk lll, Wharfedale Jade 3.

Mac Mini, BitPerfect, Dynaudio Xeo2

Marantz SA-15S1, Apple TV, Cambridge CXA60, B&W DM2000, REL Sub
lfc jon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lfc jon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Nov 2020 at 7:38pm
Hi Keith
I have a few albums done by Abbey Road at half speed I don't think it's luck. there was a two page article in wh-t hifi about the man that cuts them it made interesting reading (he took pride in his work) He has to listen to them at that speed too that's a job in it's self
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 291292293294295 398>
  Share Topic